1.    #1  

Hi,
    I am looking at getting one of the Tom Tom GPS kits for my Cingular Treo 650. I understand that maps for USA and Canada are included, but have to loaded into the SD card. My question is, is it possible to load ALL the maps onto an SD card and have seamless navgation from anywhere in the USA to anywhere in Canada (or some such combination)? For example, drive from Chicago to Toronto to New York to LA to Seattle. I know this sounds like a weird trip, but I am just using it for an example. Basically, I'm trying to get the same functionality that one of the stand alone GPS units would have, y'know, the ones with all maps pre-loaded.
    I've looked around in this forum but haven't found the answer yet.
    Thanks,
    Raj
    From my understanding that all maps are about 1.3 Gig so a 2 Gig SD card would work.
    Also, I asked in another post but no one has replied...can TT5 software be used on more than 1 pda?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Search on that one. I saw a response. They were talking about how they had to go through TT customer service and get a new activation code. So it can be done, but a bit painful.
    I think I saw a post stating that you can install TT5 on up to 2 devices. Again, search for it, and you may find it.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Yes, you can install Tom Tom on 2 devices.
    But there is a catch, you must use TomTom's activation process, which limits you to 1 activation in a week.

After the 1st week, you can request a 2nd activation code for the 2nd device.
    Ok thanks for the info.
    In response to your other question concerning smooth transitions state to state the real answer is no for detailed maps. You can use the national map for some semblence of continuity but yo will need to load one of the area maps and switch to it for detail street info.
    Quote Originally Posted by rajdawar

Hi,
    I am looking at getting one of the Tom Tom GPS kits for my Cingular Treo 650. I understand that maps for USA and Canada are included, but have to loaded into the SD card. My question is, is it possible to load ALL the maps onto an SD card and have seamless navgation from anywhere in the USA to anywhere in Canada (or some such combination)? For example, drive from Chicago to Toronto to New York to LA to Seattle. I know this sounds like a weird trip, but I am just using it for an example. Basically, I'm trying to get the same functionality that one of the stand alone GPS units would have, y'know, the ones with all maps pre-loaded.
    I've looked around in this forum but haven't found the answer yet.
    Thanks,
    Raj
    1. A for seamless travel, the US is divided into six regions. To start a NY->Miami Trip you would select the major roads / cities map and navigate to south of the Mason Dixon line. At that point you could switch to the southeast region map. The Maps I have loaded are:

Alaska
    Canada
    Hawaii
    Major Roads
    Midwest
    NewEngland-MidAtlantic
    Plains
    PuertoRico
    SouthCentral
    Southeast
    West

Of course there are awhole bunch of other CD's with subsets of the above. The largest IIRC is 220 MB

What I first thought of as an inconvenience turned out to be nothing really. A trip from any major city to major city could be done on the major roads map. I didn't even bother to load the cities. On any region-> region run if you are headed to some backwater, you merely have to switch from major roads to region one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Yes, you can install Tom Tom on 2 devices.
    But there is a catch, you must use TomTom's activation process, which limits you to 1 activation in a week.

After the 1st week, you can request a 2nd activation code for the 2nd device.
    Also, for this second activation, you just contact Tomtom and ask for this after 1 week? Is there a charge for it? thanks
    TomTom's license specifically stipulates you may install on ONLY one device. You are permitted two activations via the card provided in the box. If you go beyond that, you ahve to provide PoP (proff of purchase) . It will likely take 2 days to a week to get a response from TT.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    TomTom's license specifically stipulates you may install on ONLY one device. You are permitted two activations via the card provided in the box. If you go beyond that, you ahve to provide PoP (proff of purchase) . It will likely take 2 days to a week to get a response from TT.
    Ok well lets get down to it then...if I buy TT, can i put it on 2 devices(i know you said the license stipulates 1 device) without a charge? btw i would have the PoP.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Yes,
    2 devices without a charge, you just go to the activation site www.ttcode.com and enter the 2nd device's code. The site will generate an activation code, based on the device code to activate TomTom on that device.

You are supposed to wait 1 week after the 1st activation before you can activate the 2nd device. I don't know if it really requires a 1 week wait, but that's what they indicated.

We were originally trying to see if we could get TomTom running on an old Tungsten device, didn't work but I did learn about the activation process.

BTW: When I asked about the 2 device limit at CES, told me since they don't have upgrades they allow you to use the software on 2 devices. I suppose that means the device you have now and the next device you purchase.
    I am sure you can.....but the question is can you get away with it ? When building my son's XP box for example, we went thu a hell of a time with Microsft trying to get them to reauthenticate XP only 2 days after we originally installed it.

The authorozation procedure is by phone so if you installed it today on device one and went to install it in 2 months on device 2, you'd probably get away with it. I do not know what monitoring procedures they have in place but authorization is done via the phone radio connection so they should certainly be able to identify that you have it on two different devices. Maybe they don't get cranky after 2 months and think you just moved to another device. Maybe if you did it 24 hours apart, they'd say ah ha....got ya.....I simply have no way of knowing.

It seems that the software creates a unique ID number based upon this code, the Treo SN and something with the SD card. You need this unique device number to download voices and other features.

So yes I think they can definitely monitor that you have installed the software on two devcies. How they determine whether or not to hassle you for it i something I can only guess. However, should you fudge one of your installations and call up to ask for a new authorization code, I would think that their records will show that you used it twice on two different devices and I expect they will at least ask for an explanation. If they ain't happy with what you provide, I don't see anything that would obligate them to provide another code.
    Here's an answer from an other forum.

"The activation is machine specific, a hard reset will not affect your set-up (with the exception of some mio units running WM2005, where people are reporting a hard reset changes the device ID) you just re-load the application and it will work with the map on the memory card, the second/ third activation is for upgrades to your hardware, PDA change etc. Under the license you can only have the software on a single device in use at any one time"

From the EULA:
    "GRANT OF LICENSE: This EULA grants a license (“License”) that permits you to use the TomTom Software and Hardware if and as rightfully obtained (including the
    digital (map) data, either downloaded, or included in the accompanying package acquired with this EULA) on any single computer or (Hardware) device, provided the
    Software is installed and/or the Service is used on only one computer or (Hardware) device at any time and provided the Software is combined only with one
    (1) navigation system. This License is non-exclusive and non-transferable. This License does not imply any rights to future upgrades or updates of the Software. The use
    of any upgrades or updates of the Software is governed by this EULA and its amendments and may be subject to additional payments and conditions. This License does not imply any rights to future delivery of free or paid Service or any other services."

More snippets from TT sire:

Inside the TomTom Navigator CD-ROM box is a unique code number. The very first time you run the installer, it will ask you to enter this code. That's all. The installer will take care of the rest. It will retrieve an access code for your product from our internet server and unlock TomTom Navigator on your PocketPC.

If, for any reason, something goes wrong during installation or you are not online during installation, you can, at a later stage, go online to www.ttcode.com and manually request an activation code. You will need your product code and your device code to do this.

In order to be able to use your TomTom software, you need to obtain a code which activates the software. The activation mechanism is intended to protect our software from illegal copying, whilst still being flexible enough for our customers.

TomTom policy is that you can activate your software on one device. Click here to download the full version of the TomTom License agreement.

Your activation code is stored in many places: - in your device "registry" (which survives soft resets), - in your "PocketPC backup", optionally on your SD-card (which survives hard resets), - and even on the hard disk of your PC, This means that if you need to re-install, your installer will remember the activation code even if your PocketPC has lost it. Additionally, our internet server will reproduce every code we've ever provided as often as needed.

It may well be that your Pocket PC was exchanged rather than repaired, and that therefore the device code has changed, making your current activation code invalid. In this case, please complete the support request form on this site (Send an E-mail) and then either :

- attach a scanned copy of the proof of repair to the support request, along with your new device code and your existing product code.

- fax a copy (0031 20 850 1097) of the proof of repair to TomTom, along with your new device code and your existing product code.

Upon receipt of this information, we will be happy to provide you with a new activation code
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    While continuing to beat the dead horse. . .

You can still install the software on more than 1 device, and you only need to wait a week before requesting the 2nd code.
    Since the EULA talks about using it on one device at a time, I personally don't think it's a problem. Of course, I don't usually consult with my lawyers before I install software. . .

The software doesn't appear to talk to the TomTom servers, unless you are activating (the automatic process didn't work for us, had to use the website and manually enter the key) or requesting a Map, Traffic Update, etc.

In fact, the software itself didn't require a code, just the maps, which makes sense, why require a new activation process for each patch, just tie it to the map data and it's much eaiser to handle the backend process. So I don't think it will be "turned off" if you use it on another device as they don't track it that way.

I'm not advocating stealing anyone's software, having been in the software business, I know plenty of people who make their living writing code. The question gadgetman asked was "can it be used on more than one PDA?". The technical answer is yes, if you wait at least a week after the 1st activation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    While continuing to beat the dead horse. . .
    I don't doubt that you can get it on....Im am sure you are right. I just want to make sure that anyone doing so is aware of the possible consequences. Who knows what will happen if you fudge up ya system doing a ROM upgrade after installing bonmn 2nd device. Can TT refuse to give you a new code if they don't like what you tell them ?....

"Well I installed it on my Treo 650 and then my wife wanted to use it so I installed it on hers. But since we only have one receiver and one car, that's cool right ? "

With TT being a UK company and Europe being a GSM place, this issue doesn't come up as all ya wife and you would gotta do, I imagine, is swap SIMS. So it would seem that this issue will primarily haunt CDMA users in the US of A.
    Ok well thanks Jack and jberger for the info.
    If I didn't mention it, you can just swap SIM's if you two both have GSM phones. Then your Treo beomes her phone and visa versa .... at least theoretically.....I haven't tried it out yet. I am assuming TT ties it's unique devcie coide to the Treo and not some SIM ID.