1.    #1  
    Why is it that sometimes, when I try to hotsync my Treo, it won't hotsync and I get "the connection between your handheld computer and your desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again."

If I do something like restart my computer, then it will sync fine. I've tried exiting and restarting Hotsync Manager, which sometimes works, but rarely.

What can I do to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance....
    i have had simillar issues even after reinstalling the palm os software? i had posted previously about the issue but got no help. something has gone bad. the connection gets lost and windows no longer recognizes the device? later.
    I have this issue with my USB printer. "Lost Connection" warning pops up once every 2 weeks or so. A reboot of the PC cures the problem.

On the other hand -- there is the well documented "wiggle the hotsync cable" issue when it comes to the Treo 650.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    On the other hand -- there is the well documented "wiggle the hotsync cable" issue when it comes to the Treo 650.
    This has been my problem lately, too. I think the Palm-supplied cable is pretty junky. When I hotsync now, I have to hold the cable button down, hard, for @ 3 full seconds, and keep pressure on the adapter in the socket through the duration of the hotsync.

If you can sync sometimes but not other times (all else staying the same), I'd say it is the physical connection between your cable and the Treo (or within the cable/adapter itself, even).

-Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    This has been my problem lately, too. I think the Palm-supplied cable is pretty junky. When I hotsync now, I have to hold the cable button down, hard, for @ 3 full seconds, and keep pressure on the adapter in the socket through the duration of the hotsync.

If you can sync sometimes but not other times (all else staying the same), I'd say it is the physical connection between your cable and the Treo (or within the cable/adapter itself, even).

-Kirk
    basically the poor design of the cable connection is why i bought a bluetooth dongle and now synch wirelessly -- it takes a good bit longer (especially when synching AvantGo) but i don't get frustrated with the cable anymore...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    same problem, with or without the cradle. Wiggle the cable, press hard for a couple seconds, or re-seat the Treo in the cradle - one of those should work...
    The wiggle (or additional pressure) method only will last so long -- as it continues to put pressure on the "weak link" in the process. Other's have purchased a replacement cable which has seemed to correct the problem.

Other's have cleaned the contacts of the cable and Treo with a slightly damp with rubbing alcohol q-Tip. . . . . .

I hotsync every night and I am in my 15th month with my 650 and it's original cable. . . . . . . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    well, i understand that issue for the losing contact, but windows is telling me the usb device is not recognized and then the treo errors out telling me the connection was lost? not all the time but once it does this that is all she wrote and it wont sync at all until a computer restart. ??
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicoat
    well, i understand that issue for the losing contact, but windows is telling me the usb device is not recognized and then the treo errors out telling me the connection was lost? not all the time but once it does this that is all she wrote and it wont sync at all until a computer restart. ??

Hi Omnicoat!

(Post #3, first sentence.)

This happens maybe once a month for both my Treo and USB printer. I have chosen to live with it, rather than figure it out, due to the fact a reboot cures the problem and that it does not happen that often.

I have 5 USB devices connected to my computer, I wonder if the more you have the more likely Windows is going to burp on one of them occasionally?

Cheers, Perry
    well rebooting my computer is a pain. the work computer has a lot to boot and takes forever. plus, its a freakin $500 phone and you are telling me i hve to "wiggle the cable?'' that aint right. later.
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicoat
    well rebooting my computer is a pain. the work computer has a lot to boot and takes forever. plus, its a freakin $500 phone and you are telling me i hve to "wiggle the cable?'' that aint right. later.
    15 months . . . . no wiggle neccessary. . . .
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    i'd probably pay the $20 for a new cable. or perhaps even go into the store and complain how the hotsync is bad, i.e. 'can i get a new cable'.

if that dont work, maybe it's more than just the connection....

i cant imagine why a reboot has anything to do with the connection, frankly.
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
    The cable was my problem also, I just went to my Sprint store and the rep gave me one for free. It has been working great now for 3 months.