1.    #1  
    I received yesterday my TomTom GPS PalmOne bundle. I bought it when it was on sale, and with Palm's 20-percent discount. Final price: $165.19 shipped. My first impressions after a day's use:

1. Installation - was quite difficult. Don't know why TomTom can't make this easier. After following the instructions here at TC, and installing/uninstalling a couple of times, I finally got it to work. But it took a while, and I don't think any newbie could have done it. On the other hand, half way through the installation process I realized that my PC was bogged down by an unrelated app (gmail notifier), so that slowed me down even more and finally went away after I closed gmail notifier.

2. PalmOne GPS hardware:
    GPS UNIT: The GPS unit is quite small, and works great so far. The three times I have tried to acquire a signal from a cold start, it has taken about 25 seconds to lock into enough satellites and be ready to go. It is faster and better at keeping a lock on signals than my old yellow Garmin Etrex GPS. No problems with the Bluetooth at all.

CHARGERS: The bundle comes with a dual GPS and Treo automobile charger, so you can use both in the car indefinitely. I have had problems with aftermarket chargers with my Treo 650, so I hope I don't run into problems with this charger.

BATTERY: The GPS has a 2-hour USB-rechargeable battery in case you don't want to plug it in for short trips.

WINDSHIELD MOUNT: Works great, and works fine with my Egrips. I still haven't decided the best place to mount it. I am leaning towards putting it on the left side of the front windshield almost next to the driver's side-view mirror. Alternatively, I would put it very high and in the center of the windshield - above the rear-view mirror. Anywhere else seems like it would obstruct the view of the road. Anyone have any good ideas on this?

It's great to get the GPS, mount, and chargers bundled together.

3. TomTom software: Works fantastic so far. I have used the Hertz Neverlost system, and this seems very similar. Hertz has a few more sound prompts than TomTom. TomTom is quicker in finding an alternate route or rerouting when I turn off of the planned path. The rest of the features seem almost the same.

Still to try out: Using Pocket Tunes and the phone app at the same time.

Conclusion: It's awesome!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    You may be "ticket eligible" if the unit blocks your view of road in any way. I finally went with a Proclip mount which places it below top of dashboard level about 3 oclock to my steering wheel.

Did you do the 5.21 TT upgrade ?

The charge rhas two wires..... One to the Treo and one to the GPS I assume ?

Still to try out: Using Pocket Tunes and the phone app at the same time.
    More importantly, how does ya BT headset work ?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You may be "ticket eligible" if the unit blocks your view of road in any way. I finally went with a Proclip mount which places it below top of dashboard level about 3 oclock to my steering wheel.
    Did you do the 5.21 TT upgrade ?
    The charge rhas two wires..... One to the Treo and one to the GPS I assume ?
    More importantly, how does ya BT headset work ?
    Instead of being "ticket eligible", I am more worried about smashing into someone I don't see because the Treo is in the wrong place.

I really like the Proclip mount, and I may get it for my car. However, I switch between a couple of cars so I still need the windshield mount.

Yes, I did the upgrade.

The car charger is forked with two wires coming out of it. One to charge the Treo and one to charge the GPS. Works fine so far.

As far as a BT headset, I don't use one - I use my wired "The Boom" headset, which I think is the best headset out there, by far.

I'm hoping TomTom will switch in and out of calls without any problems like Pocket Tunes does. We'll see.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Instead of being "ticket eligible", I am more worried about smashing into someone I don't see because the Treo is in the wrong place.
    Yes, well that's a given. I was lucky in that mounting it via the windshield mount had little impact on my "field of view". The only thing that stuck up above the end of my hood was the antenna. Still I figured some cranky guy with a quota to fill would be on my **** sooner or later....which remind sme of my favorite patrolman story.

I was on my way to Albany one day and this highway patrolman pulls me over and asks me if I knew I was speeding. I saw his bumber sticking out from a bridge abuttment at an overpass but didn't bother to slow down. I answered "yes officer but it's an emergency....I am on my way to Philadelphia for a medical emergency". So he asks what kind of emergency are you needed for ? " to which I respond that "this guy has a clogged colon and if I don't get there to stretch out his a-hole he could die within hours.". He then asks "how far can you stretch an a-hole" and I said "over time you could get to about 6 feet." He then asks what would you do with a 6 foot a-hole ? "......I couldn't resist and said "Put him under a bridge with a radar gun".

......badump bum

My "cous" .... a patrolman BTW, gave me that one over the holidays.
  5.    #5  
    It turns out I now kind of like the windshield mount on the far left side next to the side mirror. It seems a natural location, not far away from directly looking ahead, and doesn't obstruct my view. I'm thinking I might like that even better than the Proclip vent mount - which looks great.
    Try it for a few weeks....one thing I liked about the windshield mount was I had it right on top of my radar detector....was gonna make a decal for it that said "GPS Receiver"