Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The reason I'm asking is a message stating that my device's memory was low, and that I needed to delete data or apps just popped up like 10 minutes ago right before sending my Treo into a reset loop for like 5 minutes(of course this has to happen right after I post about never having problems with my Treo ). What's weird is that that same message popped up over and over again right before my 650 was completely booted up resetting it over and over and over. I can't very well delete stuff if you won't let me get to the main menu, Treo! A warm reset got things moving again, but how much ram should I have available? RIght now I have slighly over 1 MB. I've always hovered in that area(sometimes lower) since I've had my Treo, and I've never had any problems. I know it can't be blamed on a third-party app, as I was using the camera at the time. Advice?
    i have a decent amount of 3rd party apps and i still have over 7MB. back up your stuff and do a ahrd reset.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  3.    #3  
    Why would I do a hard reset? The problem is gone. I'm just wondering what would be a good minimum so that this doesn't happen again. I could move a few apps to my memory card I suppose. What's a good minimum so that I don't have any problems with caching and whatnot? I always thought 1 MB was fine, but maybe I was wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Why would I do a hard reset? The problem is gone. I'm just wondering what would be a good minimum so that this doesn't happen again. I could move a few apps to my memory card I suppose. What's a good minimum so that I don't have any problems with caching and whatnot? I always thought 1 MB was fine, but maybe I was wrong...
    i didnt realize your problem was fixed. like i said i have alot of 3rd party apps, i just try to keep a minimum amount of photos and videos stored on the device and i still have over 7MB. maybe there was just an error? 1MB may not be enough. stored SMS and MMS take up memory. stored emails..etc...etc
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm thinking 3-4MB is a good target. Anyone else?
  6.    #6  
    I think maybe you're right CP. Seems like it was some kind of weird anomaly. Maybe I'll free up some more space anyway, just to be safe. I'll wait to get a little more feedback though. Also, some of my third-party apps apparently can't be moved to the card because they're copyright protected. I've moved the ones I could, however. What apps make sense to have on your SD card? Most of them I just prefer to have in the ram, because I use them often enough. I've moved Verichat and MobiTV thus far, and thus far those are the only apps that let me move them(not counting the ones I haven't tried which I consider to be esential).
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I think maybe you're right CP. Seems like it was some kind of weird anomaly. Maybe I'll free up some more space anyway, just to be safe. I'll wait to get a little more feedback though. Also, some of my third-party apps apparently can't be moved to the card because they're copyright protected. I've moved the ones I could, however. What apps make sense to have on your SD card? Most of them I just prefer to have in the ram, because I use them often enough. I've moved Verichat and MobiTV thus far, and thus far those are the only apps that let me move them(not counting the ones I haven't tried which I consider to be esential).
    i used to use Zlauncher and stored apps on the SD card, mostly games and less essential programs, i could still access them with Zlauncher so it really didnt matter which ones i stored on the card.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I try to keep 5-6MB free on mine. No specific reason why -- just thought it was a good amount to leave free.

Using Docs to Go? Use this: (It will save 4mb of internal memory.)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Also -- store all pictures and videos on the SD card, they are memory hogs.

Cheers, Perry.
    check your Blazer cache setting. If you have 1mb remaining and the cache is set to more than that you will have a problem.
    [QUOTE=Perry Holden]I try to keep 5-6MB free on mine. No specific reason why -- just thought it was a good amount to leave free.QUOTE]

Agreed- not sure why but I refuse to fall below 5 MB free.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Peeps have reproted problems with large programs (like TomTom) even with free memory at 5-6 MB. I have 52 programs on my Treo and have about 17.5 MB free. Palm Internals speed test has it at the maximum 111 tics (1 sec). I will probably pull a program or two off the SD card to speed things up (Voice Dial for example takes 4 seconds to load from SD card).

Other thing you might try to keep things free:

1. Set e-mail retrievals to only 1 day .
    2. Delete all old e-mails
    3. Delete stored messages.
    4. Delete 68k files using Uninstall Manager
    5. Use UM to remove your programs instead of default Palm app.
    6. Use Cleanup to remove leftover files from old installs.
    7. Move all pictures, audio files, movies and data files to SD card
    8. Use Dataviz tech tool to move Docs2Go to card.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I have 13MB free and my Treo is loaded. I use PowerRun and a custom ROM to free up RAM. Only the programs that take a long time to load or need to be in RAM are there. That includes my two additional browsers (Xiino and Webpro) that have large caches and take forever to load with PowerRun. Without those I might even have 17 or 18MB free.
    It depends some on the apps you run. Some are much more memory hogs than others. I generally keep about 4MB free, and have a very stable device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I used to keep 1-2mb free and I would have frequent resets. Since moving some apps I have slowly moved from 4mb to 5.5-6mb free and I rarely if ever have a reset anymore. I think anything above 4mb is safe.
    Is Cleanup pretty foolproof? I'd like to get rid of unused files in RAM, but don't know what files can go and which are needed. I have BackupBuddy now for saving my data. If I delete a needed file while using Cleanup, will BackupBuddy restore lost data to the Treo?
    I have always tried to keep mine 8-10 MB free. I have never had reset or low memory issues.

YMMV
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Cleanup is not foolproof, and it is really only a guide. It allows you to backup things you delete just to be sure. In general though, I find that at worse it deletes some options in a program and makes you re-register the program, but otherwise it's not big deal to accidently erase an "orphan" program.
    The goal should be to keep the max possible amount of ram free and move almost eveything you can to the card via memory managers. Like this I usually can keep around 10+ MB free at all times...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen
    Is Cleanup pretty foolproof? I'd like to get rid of unused files in RAM, but don't know what files can go and which are needed. I have BackupBuddy now for saving my data. If I delete a needed file while using Cleanup, will BackupBuddy restore lost data to the Treo?
    Because I have had both Uninstall Manager and Cleanup installed from the getgo as my 1st two apps I have had little opportunity to test out Cleanup's capabilities. If you are using BuBVFS, it seems of little risk to try things out. Read the Cleanup manual on the signature file usage before you go ahead and try anything. Knowing the creator ID will go along way towards figuring out what to go and what to dump.
    Thanks for responding. I am not real clear yet on the 'signature file', it seems to me that when you download the trial, the latest signature file is included? I did find the manual and will read it a couple of times before making any changes. I have 12.7 free now, which doesn't sound bad at all after reading some of your posts, but Mapopolis says it needs at least that much to run, using a GPS, so I thought I'd squeeze out a couple more mb's if possible. Anyone using Mapopolis?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast