Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. TWO

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but my Treo600 as well as my Treo650 seems to have a memory problem. It keeps on taking up phone memory but I don't even know where it's going or what is consuming it. I've deleted EVERYTHING on my Treo600 and still my memory is all used up. On my Treo650, I've installed and deleted a few applications and it's starting to eat up memory too. Does anyone know a solution??? Where the memory is going??? Or what is taking up my memory??? Hope you can help me save my phone!!!

TWO
    How much memory do you have left? Are you saying that it continues to decline?

How did you upgrade to the 650? Did you hot sync right to your 600 userid? If so, do a clean install:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install
    Post #2

Do you take photos? Where are they stored? If on the Treo -- move them to a SD card. These are tremendous memory hogs and this would explain the continuing decline in memory.

What apps do you have installed?

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO
    I've deleted EVERYTHING on my Treo600 and still my memory is all used up. On my Treo650, I've installed and deleted a few applications and it's starting to eat up memory too.
    What is telling you that you have no memory ? And what number is it giving you ?
    Delete Blazer Cache.

Use a file manager (FileZ or Resco Explorer) to sort by date or size and maybe the file name or creator ID of recent/large files will provide some hint on the culprit.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Text messages REALLY eat up memory
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    phone call log also
    I have had this problem recently. What happen was I mailed out a bunch of 1.5MB photos via versamail, one at a time. There was alot of fail attemps and versamail keep those junk. I could only see it with filez. It was a file call "media mail" or something like that in the size of 12MB. I deleted it and all was fine.
  8. TWO
    Thanx for all the advice thus far. I'll try them all and see what I can do. Well, to answer some of the questions, when I first posted this thread, my treo was at about 6.5MB, next day it was at 4.6MB, and now it is at 3.5MB. I save all my photos and clips directly to the SD card...
    What are you doing to add 1 MB a day to your device ? Better downlaod and install FileZ while you still have room for it.

Clear blazer cache.
    Do ROM update if not alreday done.
    Use fileZ to look for anything big
    delete 68k files via Uninstall Manager (www.northglide.com)

How many contacts and calendar appointments ?

If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with FileZ, look at your sync'd stuff on the Windows HD. Maybe Windows Explorer does this but I have never used it in about 15 years so I'll point you to what I am familiar with. Download Powerdesk

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...tfg,tfg,00.asp

Navigate to C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\your username directory and Hit Tools \ File Finder and search on *.* within that directory. When it's done sort the files by size and see what's there at the top of the list. If it's big post here and we'll figure out what it is.

It won't cover device files and caches but it will address many of the things w eare concerned about. Keep in mind tho that a 1.1 MB addressbk.db file on my desktop becomes only 179k on my Treo.

Biggest file in main memory on my treo is a program database file of 660k. On the SD card, it would be my TT maps
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/17/2006 at 11:49 AM.
    If you are using Documents To Go, check the files there too and they're huge!
    Also check your Folders in your email and messaging apps. Many times the "Sent" and "Trash" folders are loaded.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  11. TWO
    JackNaylorPE, you lost me there. Can you explain again? I'm not all that smart when it comes to this stuff... so sorry. And Treo Rat, Documents To Go installed when I first HotSynced but then I deleted it on my Treo. Is there another way to uninstall things??? Or is it just ok to delete it from the phone???
  12. TWO
    Ok, I did what aprasad & JackNaylorPE said about FileZ. I downloaded FileZ and took a look at what was eating up A LOT if not all my memory. Seems like whatever7 was right. There's a folder or file(s) named MultiMail. It took up 19MB!!! So I deleted it and now I have about 19.5MB of free memory on my phone again... That sounds about right. But what is "MultiMail"??? Is is really cache or memory from sending Picture or Video mail???

I want to thank ALL that helped me out here and who posted replies. I really appreciate it and I hope I can get to know you folks... Take Care!

Aloha from Hawaii,
    TWO
    That's the remind when versamail shat itself.
    It's hard to understand what you are saying so I am a bit confused. I can't quite understand how you used up all the memory on your devices. I assume the 600 is a dead issue so we'll concentrate on the 650. The isntructions I gave are standard windows procedures and there's not enough room here for a windows education. So we will try this route.

How many contacts do you have ?
    How many calendar entries ?
    How many Todos / memos ?
    SMS messages ?
    e-mails ?
    pictures ?
    mp3's ?
    anything else ?

Look at these files on your Hard drive...how big are they ?

C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[yourusername]\address\address.dat
    C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[yourusername]\datebook\datebook.dat
    C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[yourusername]\memopad\memopad.dat
    C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[yourusername]\todo\todo.dat

If they total more than 1.5 MB, then you have more than me.

I just opened windows explorer...1st time in about 15 years. Click on VIew in menu bar and select "Details". Keep doing this as each new window opens.

1. Doublke ckick on "My Computer"
    2. Double click on C drive
    3. Double click on Program Files
    4. Double clkick on Palm
    5. Single click on [your user name]
    6. Right click on [your usr name] and hit Properties. How big is the folder in MB ? For reference mine is 37.2 and it has some dupes in there.

I don't know i this is part of explorer or the freebie "explorer plus" but with the [your user name] folder still highlighted go to the menu bar in explorer and hit File / FileFinder. Leave *.* in the window and hit "find now". Again make sure you are always in the "Details" view. Hit SIZE at the top of the column so it organizes files by size with biggest at the top. How many are bigger than 1 MB ?

If this does not point to an immediate problem.....best I think to start over

1. Let's start over and do a hard reset. Look in the manual for instructions. basically hold the red phone button down while poking the stylus in the little holey. Don't let go of red button until the round Palm logo appears.
    2. Copy your user name folder to another place on your hard drive. You can find it usually at C:\ProgramFiles\Palm It will contain the 1st 6 letters or so of your user name. Make sure all of your programs, receipts, keycodes, etc are stored safely soemwhere on your computer.
    3. Go to Control Panel and Uninstall the Palm Desktop.
    4. Delete the folder "Palm" from C:\Program files.
    5. OK now windows and your Treo are virgins.
    6. Install PalmDesktop and follow instructions thru Hotsync.
    7. Install other programs from CD.
    8. Go to the Palm website and look to make sure if you have the latest ROM. If not, follow the instructions to install it. Start here: http://www.palm.com/us/support/
    stick in your model /carrier and follow where it leads you. SAVE SAND BOOKMARK THAT PAGE.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl.../cingular.html
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...er/sprint.html
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r/verizon.html

9. Download and install 3 programs if you don't ahve them. They are all free trials for a while:

Northglide Uninstall Manager - http://www.northglide.com/products.h...nstall_Manager
    FileZ - http://www.nosleep.net/
    PowerRUN - http://homepage2.nifty.com/hackerdudesan/index-e.html
    Meminfo - see below don't remember where I got it

Install programs 1 at a time, in order listed, hotsyncing between each one.

10. Open PowerRUN...at bottom it should say Free Internal = ? What ya got ?

11. Check with FileZ and MemInfo...whay ya got ?

12. Download Dataviz tech tool from here:

http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13105

Install it. Open Tech tool on Palm and use it to move dcs to go to card. Look at PowerRUN again and see what yu gained.

If you get this far we'll continue tomorrow.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/19/2006 at 09:18 PM.
    Ok, I did what aprasad & JackNaylorPE said about FileZ. I downloaded FileZ and took a look at what was eating up A LOT if not all my memory. Seems like whatever7 was right. There's a folder or file(s) named MultiMail. It took up 19MB!!! So I deleted it and now I have about 19.5MB of free memory on my phone again... That sounds about right. But what is "MultiMail"??? Is is really cache or memory from sending Picture or Video mail???

I want to thank ALL that helped me out here and who posted replies. I really appreciate it and I hope I can get to know you folks... Take Care!

Aloha from Hawaii,
    TWO
    I remember reading another post that this file is created when you send pictures with versamail and the "send" fails for some reason.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Print this out for future reference

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85915

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but my Treo600 as well as my Treo650 seems to have a memory problem. It keeps on taking up phone memory but I don't even know where it's going or what is consuming it. I've deleted EVERYTHING on my Treo600 and still my memory is all used up. On my Treo650, I've installed and deleted a few applications and it's starting to eat up memory too. Does anyone know a solution??? Where the memory is going??? Or what is taking up my memory??? Hope you can help me save my phone!!!

TWO

Well actually, this issue can occur with Treo 650 and Tungsten T5 devices that use the non-volatile file system (NVFS). You'll be using your device normally, and suddenly you'll see an error indicating that your device is running low on memory. However, when you check free/available memory, there appears to be plenty of room on your device.

The file system on your device uses a cache system to transfer applications and data from the non-volatile portion of memory to the active system memory where it resides while in use. This cache is approximately 10MB. When an individual application or data file exceeds this size, you may see the "low memory" errors. Most Palm OS programs do not create data files of this size.

Also, please note that the file sizes of photos and videos in the Media (Photos & Videos) application are not subtracted from the Free Memory, although they do indeed occupy memory on your handheld.

First, check photos in the Media (Photos & Videos) application. Delete any unneeded photos stored on your handheld. Remember that large photos can take up a lot of space; view the photos in List View to see their filesize.

If you continue to run into "low memory" warnings and you know you have plenty of space, contact the software developer of the application you were using when the error occurred. There may be an updated version of their software available which fixes this issue.

In most cases, exiting the application and relaunching it should resolve the low memory warnings. But they may pop up again if you use the application and exceed the cache size again. Your best bet is to contact the application's developer or vendor for help.

However to check available/free memory on your device, here's a simple instructions that I can give you.

For most Palm OS devices, here's how:

- Go to Applications
    - Open the Menus
    - From the App menu, choose Info.
    - The amount of memory remaining in your device, expressed in megabytes (M) or kilobytes (K), is the number at the top of the screen.
    IF YOU CAN'T BEAT ME, JOIN ME!!!
    JackNaylorPE,
    Can you please finish the instructions in post #14?
    My Palm desktop is misbehaving and I need to do a hard reset anyway,so I need to know how I will be restoring my major DBs (contacts, calendar, and memos) after the clean install.
    Thanks
    B
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
    OK, so ya got all ya programs and data installed .... what else do ya wanna do ?

What are ya answers to questions 10 and 11 ?

What programs ya have installed ? And are they on card or main memory ?

Used Tech tool to move Docs 2 Go ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    OK, so ya got all ya programs and data installed .... what else do ya wanna do ?

What are ya answers to questions 10 and 11 ?

What programs ya have installed ? And are they on card or main memory ?

Used Tech tool to move Docs 2 Go ?
    Well, actually I dont have my data installed yet, I'm not clear on how to get my Calendar and Contacts back from the backup file I saved to my desktop.
    I'm on the noob'ish side.
    Thnx
    Better put, I should say having done the following:
    "2. Copy your user name folder to another place on your hard drive. You can find it usually at C:\ProgramFiles\Palm It will contain the 1st 6 letters or so of your user name. Make sure all of your programs, receipts, keycodes, etc are stored safely soemwhere on your computer."
    How do I get the freshly installed Palm Desktop to use the old user file?
    Thanks again
    B
    Last edited by Bijou; 07/30/2006 at 06:51 PM.
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast