Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My problem is that my Treo doesn't work some of the time, but the Sprint tech at the store say it tests out fine and won't warranty it. I've done multiple hard resets, I'm running none of my own software, it's pretty clear to me that it's a hardware problem. So what I want is a way to 'break' the phone in a way that will get me a warranty replacement. I know this sounds evil, but I don't know what else to do. I'm sick of having a phone that doesn't work reliably, and I'm sick of trying to convince a not so bright tech that intermittent problems can't always be found with a 20 minute bench test. Thanks for your advice.
    Nice first post ...........Throwing it off the roof might work....LOL

* Goes and summons the Sprint Police*
    corrupt custome ROM that will throw your treo into endless reset loop
    Treoing & Loving it
    while I do not condone destroying it in order to get a replacement, I am one of few people who have been on the phone with a treo as it was being placed in a microwave and cooked for 10 seconds...

I heard, "BBBBBBBBuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............. Click."
    If you have the type of insurance I have with Sprint, you can run over it with your car. I did that accidentally and paid my small deductible and wham - new phone. You call the claim in directly to the insurer, so no more visits to the store.

BUT - it takes 24-48 hrs to get the new phone expressed to you.
    tell them you broke it and that you need a replacement BEFORE you actually break it..just incase they say no
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

if he says he lost it will they send a replacement? or do they know you didnt lose it? what if its lost around the house?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyant
    My problem is that my Treo doesn't work some of the time,
    What do you mean "doesn't work" ? For example, that could mean you can't make a phone call cause you are in an area with no signal ?

How long have you had it, within 30 (or whatever) day trial period ?

You pay by credit card ? Tell CC company you bought a phone that don't work and you wnat money back.
    use it for a couple weeks and it will pretty much take care of breaking all by itself...
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyant
    My problem is that my Treo doesn't work some of the time, but the Sprint tech at the store say it tests out fine and won't warranty it. I've done multiple hard resets, I'm running none of my own software, it's pretty clear to me that it's a hardware problem. So what I want is a way to 'break' the phone in a way that will get me a warranty replacement. I know this sounds evil, but I don't know what else to do. I'm sick of having a phone that doesn't work reliably, and I'm sick of trying to convince a not so bright tech that intermittent problems can't always be found with a 20 minute bench test. Thanks for your advice.

1. Hot Sync

2. Hard Reset

3. Still have the problem? = Hardware Issue = Don't take no for an answer at the store. (Politely)

4. No Problem after hard reset = software issues = clean install

Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650 (unless it is just out of box)
    Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold
    (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold)
    (Hopefully that's the path but you get the idea.)
    (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)
    Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.
    You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back from the 600.
    (PIM = appointments, memos, tasks, contacts)

Test for two days in this configuration.

Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) Possibly one at a time to see, if and when the resetting starts up again -- you will have then found your culprit.
    When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 650 likes it.)
    I vote for a nasty custom rom that loops it. Ideally, you should delete "system.bprc" and install that rom. It's fixable from the bootloader, but not by a dealer.
    you could sell your nice screen for say $60, swap in a cracked one and come out with a new treo and beer money...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Call and tell them:

1) It fell in the toilet.
    2) You used it to fix that wobbly table.
    3) It got mistaken for a clay pigeon.
    4) The dog ate it.
    5) You loaned it to your father for his hunting trip with the Vice President.
    6) Your son put it in the washing machine... with your dog. You'll be so inconsolable about the dog, they won't ask any questions.

Depending on which explanation they buy, then you'll know how to break it.
    All this creativity. . . . . . .too bad we cannot somehow channel it thru a medium and the spirits of Palm PDAs past into getting the 700P released from the nether world. . . . .
    This sounds like you are trying to commit fraud. Good thing we have it in writing...
    I would never tell them I drop it in the water or drop it in anyway to break it, that might fall into the "abuse" category.
    You could go back to the Sprint store and throw your Treo at each employee untill they give you a new Treo to get you to leave.

If the cops are called, tell the cops you were testing the theft deterrent aspect of the Treo, Just like Sprint showed on their Super Bowl commercial.

Chuck
    any word from the OP after all these cool ideas?

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    This sounds like you are trying to commit fraud. Good thing we have it in writing...
    And you're not really helping. Dropping it in the toilet or running over it with the car, that stuff is not covered under warranty. The corrupt ROM trick could be detected back at the factory. I need something simple and undetectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Nice first post ...........Throwing it off the roof might work....LOL

* Goes and summons the Sprint Police*
    The Treo, or the poster?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast