Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyant
    And you're not really helping. Dropping it in the toilet or running over it with the car, that stuff is not covered under warranty. The corrupt ROM trick could be detected back at the factory. I need something simple and undetectable.
    My goal is not to help. You seem to be committing a crime...
    Have you tried what gtwo suggested?
    Is it fraud if it doesn't work, you have tested it the correct ways(hard reset with no apps..pim data only). They won't take it back till it fails their limited short tests?

I say if he has truly done what he says that he is merely escalating the rating on the "fault" scale

if they won't fix it since they see nothing wrong then give them a reason to fix it. He isn't gaining anything like a 700p just a refurbed 650 unit...if anything he is taking a step down just to get a device that doesn't have a hardware problem....

I will ONLY stand by my words if he has in fact done the hard reset and only put pim data on it for several days mind you.

With auto mechanics and electronics tech background any intermitment problems are the worst to convince others or find. 1 single loose solder connection that has to be jarred just perfectly not to hard, not to soft can be a nightmare!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    And you're not really helping. Dropping it in the toilet or running over it with the car, that stuff is not covered under warranty. The corrupt ROM trick could be detected back at the factory. I need something simple and undetectable.
    Have you walked thru the process that Perry described ?

How long have you had the phone ?

Where did you buy it ?

a little more data would help.
    Here's the simplest and possibly the easiest way to get a replacement - go to a different Sprint store, if possible. Explain your problem just like you have to us, saying you've tried everything. They should at the very least offer to replace it for you through insurance. Be persistent.

The theft protection idea from the Super Bowl commercial is also a brilliant idea.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    My goal is not to help. You seem to be committing a crime...
    No no no, you misunderstand! I am not comitting a crime, that's the problem. I want to commit a crime, but your selfish lack of assistance is really getting in my way. Really KR, try to think about someone besides yourself for a change.

PS - To the folks who've been asking, yes, I've followed Perry Holden's instructions. I've been a Treo owner for about two years, and had this particular phone for about 6 months. I had an earilier 600 replaced under warranty for the reset loop problem. I've also had one replaced by insurance when I broke it, but I don't want to go that route now because you only get two such claims, you have to pay $50 and the freakin phone is actually defective and should be warrantied. But I may give up this life of (unfulfilled) crime and just go to another store as suggested. My main store is in a crappy neighborhood and the folks there have kind of a thick skin when it comes to customer complaints. Last time I was in there an incoherent customer was ranting about suing Sprint. The reason I've haven't done that yet is that these techs are strictly 9-5 M-F, so I'll have to take a chunk of time off work to drive out to a store in the burbs.
    No no no, you misunderstand! I am not comitting a crime, that's the problem. I want to commit a crime, but your selfish lack of assistance is really getting in my way. Really KR, try to think about someone besides yourself for a change.
    It's called "aiding and abetting". You want to commit a crime but don't have the expertise to get away with it so you are asking others to help you. And on a public forum no less.... a place where you BOTH can be easily tracked, located and prosecuted.
    The ones comitting a crime here are the stupid Sprint techs. that won't replace his Treo.

PS - To the folks who've been asking, yes, I've followed Perry Holden's instructions. I've been a Treo owner for about two years, and had this particular phone for about 6 months. I had an earilier 600 replaced under warranty for the reset loop problem. I've also had one replaced by insurance when I broke it, but I don't want to go that route now because you only get two such claims, you have to pay $50 and the freakin phone is actually defective and should be warrantied. But I may give up this life of (unfulfilled) crime and just go to another store as suggested. My main store is in a crappy neighborhood and the folks there have kind of a thick skin when it comes to customer complaints. Last time I was in there an incoherent customer was ranting about suing Sprint. The reason I've haven't done that yet is that these techs are strictly 9-5 M-F, so I'll have to take a chunk of time off work to drive out to a store in the burbs.
    I love people who ask for help, but don't want to provide information to HELP THEMSELVES. Very odd.

3 posts and you have yet to actually describe the "hardware problem" you are having. As has been pointed out, your description that it "doesn't work" is about as helpful as shoes are to a legless man.

And KRam is right, it DOES sound like you are trying to commit the crime of fraud. If your device REALLY is defective, it should be simple enough to prove to a Sprint tech. Especially if you give them some information to work with. If I were the tech and you came is and said "it doesn't work sometimes", I'd probably ignore you too. If however you came in with a detailed description of the problem you are experiencing, I would be FAR more inclined to listen and help you.

Just my 2 cents...which I'm sure you'll just make a snide remark about anyway. Have a nice day.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    The ones comitting a crime here are the stupid Sprint techs. that won't replace his Treo.
    Not necessarily true, unless you are assuming he has given them far more information to work with than he has given here. IF there really is a hardware defect and they refuse to replace it, THEN I would agree with you. But fraud would still not be my recourse of choice.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Cute. Stupid, but cute.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    And KRam is right, it DOES sound like you are trying to commit the crime of fraud.
    Yes!

I asked a simple question - how do you break a phone without leaving a trace. I didn't force anyone to sully his conscience with a reply. Nor did I ask for all that advice on how to better diagnose the problem. I can't help it if people took it on themselves to provide reams of unsolicited off-topic advice.

But what I really need is advice on how to face myself in the mirror once remorse sets in. For though I have not yet carried out my criminal master plan, there was larceny in my heart, and that is just as much a sin. The shame.
    nuke it like shadmowmite said. I know someone that did this once and it worked.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Just say you lost it and you get a new one for the deductible. Sell the parts of the old one to get the deductible back and more. Or keep it for the spare battery and anything else that might go wrong. A broken one will save you the deductible but I would rather have the spare parts.
    Shadowmite was not in favor of trashing the Treo -- he was just relating some testing that occurred. He was not in favor of this fraud.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    why waste time with sprint - buy a new one and stick the broken in the box to return it. For that matter, get a 700w and return the 650 in its place.....

...no one really loses any money here, just the big corporations.

...wonder why these things cost so much to buy and so liittle to make....
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    note to the NSA....

my comments were meant as sarcasm, not to assist in a criminal act.
    Offering help is Off Topic???
    I'm done with this thread.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, we're all done.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12