Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I've asked for this before, and everyone told me how to accomplish it in 6 or 7 steps, which I already knew. I want a program that will do it in 1 or two steps. It would be easy. Here's the idea:

You know when you get a phone call and thanks to Caller ID, you can see the number?

If that number matches a number in your address book, then the name appears. Great.

But when it is a new phone number that isn't in your address book, I'd like to be able to do to a FAST Google search on it and see what that phone number is.

Ideally, I'd like a program that looks at the "recent call" database, lets me highlight a phone number from a list, and then automatically goes to Google (or some other reverse-listing website), looks up the number, and displays the results.

Right now, I need to manually go into the call log, then copy the phone number to the clipboard, then open Blazer, then go to Google, then paste the number, then tap the Search button.

Now before you say "use Directory Assistant," note that you STILL have to manually go to the call log, copy the number, start DA, tap another button or two, then paste the number, then tap Search. It really isn't that much faster than Blazer, AND when using Google, if there's no direct phone listing, it will at least show me snippets of web pages where the phone number appears, which can still be helpful.

OK, developers: in exchange for this idea (which I hereby GIVE AWAY to you), I have one catch: if you develop software that does this, I get a free copy. That's it.

Now go build it.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    But when it is a new phone number that isn't in your address book, I'd like to be able to do to a FAST Google search on it and see what that phone number is.
    For what purpose ? I mean if it is to make a decision on whether to answer the call.....

1. Won't starting this app, and starting a data session, terminate your call ?

2. Won't the call be in VoiceMail before you're done googling ?

Of course if it's just to save you the effort of typing info into contacts if you want to keep the info, I see the functionality but if it's just to avoid taking calls you don't wanna take, then I don't see how it work....except on new HDSPA phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    For what purpose ? I mean if it is to make a decision on whether to answer the call.....

1. Won't starting this app, and starting a data session, terminate your call ?

2. Won't the call be in VoiceMail before you're done googling ?

Of course if it's just to save you the effort of typing info into contacts if you want to keep the info, I see the functionality but if it's just to avoid taking calls you don't wanna take, then I don't see how it work....except on new HDSPA phones.
    No, no, this is NOT for deciding to take a call. This is NOT for determining who has left a voice mail or text message.

This is for those occasions when, at the end of the day (or maybe after a meeting when you couldn't take a call), you see in your call log that X number and Y number called you today, but they didn't leave a message, and you want to get some idea who it was with minimum hassle.

Was it a different telephone number or extension from a large client I have? Was it someone from my insurance company about a claim? Is it my Mom's neighbor, who I don't have the number for, but I can see from Google lives on the same street? Maybe it is from a vendor who is supposed to be sending me a product to review, but I don't have their number.

Maybe it was someone who thought they left a message for me, but really didn't?

Who knows?

The point is, I ALREADY do this, but it takes too many steps. All the data and abilities are already built into the Treo. I just need some software that can integrate it all into something that takes two steps.

-Warr
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
  4.    #64  
    hmm thats true..i hate how they moved this thread..now one will see it
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    Was it a different telephone number or extension from a large client I have?
    Directory doesn't list those.

Was it someone from my insurance company about a claim? Is it my Mom's neighbor, who I don't have the number for, but I can see from Google lives on the same street? Maybe it is from a vendor who is supposed to be sending me a product to review, but I don't have their number.....Who knows ?[/QUOTE]

I got my first one of those today but I see your point now. In this case, I aclled w/o looking to find it was a person who I would rather avoid. OTOH, I spend a lot of effort cutting myself off from spam via e-mail, spam via cell phone or spam via any other means of communication.

I am very privacy oriented and strict on who I give my number to and it's certainly no one who isn't in my contcts list. My business phone (land line) is unlisted and every phone I own is on teh sate and federal "Do not call" lists.

If I didn't I'd have to field too many of these calls:

"I just spoke to one of your employees and I was told....." Ia m thinking......"Do what you were told, I am just a figurehead with his name on the building...I have no idea what goes on here."

"This is the Happy Valley School District....please note that since we had 54" snow last night, schools will be closed..." Noted

"I want to take issue with this bill that is before the legislature an since you are the President of NYSSPE, I wanted you to...." Speak to my staff.

"Would your firm be interested in doing work for us ?.... " No, we only accept new clients on a referral basis.

Of course some I can't get rid of....

My wife calls me from the driveway....what it couldn't wait 45 seconds ?

"Dad, would you buy me a Dodge Viper ?"

That call fro the annoying but well paying client who asks "What's the status of my project ? " To which I respond, "Last week I reported that we were six weeks from completion and I am happy to report that a week later, we are now 5 weeks from completion. Any questions ?"

I guess I am just incompatable with this age of instant gratification "

So I wouldn't use your mystery app often but see where it could come in handy.
  6.    #66  
    Dad, would you buy me a Dodge Viper ?

ive asked that one many times to my dad lol
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    A compass.
    i was thinking tonight how good a Palm version of the game Worms would be. You could play over Bluetooth against other devices and the stylus input is ideal for control.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  10.    #70  
    true true
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    A compass.
    I know you thought you were being a smarty-pants, but here:

http://www.ive-software.com/sun-compass-palm.php3

It works great, so long as the sun is out...

-Warr
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234