1.    #1  
    After trying many applications and moving them to the SD Card (back forth), my Treo experienced several resets (or crashes). Basically, I am reviewing many Palm applications and pushing the device as far as possible. The main problem is that most applications require you to re-input serial data after these crashes. This situation occurs in the applications that were fully functional before the crash. How do you save you preferences and serial data before the crashes? How do I restore preferences after this type of reset? Please give me any insight on how the Treo stores this info. Let me know if you need a list of applications on my Treo (but it changes daily).
    Last edited by neville310; 02/12/2006 at 08:18 PM.
    It saves the registration information in a file called Saved Preferences.PRC
    You can make a copy of this file (using FileZ) to a folder on your SD card. Copying it back to the Phone RAM after you lose your settings can bring them back.

Usually, the crash that resulted in the Saved Preferences file getting corrupted will occur again if you run the suspect application. So be careful.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Are you running Zlauncher? I've noticed that its DB file gets corrupted frequently after a crash. I'm using the free resco locker to lock it in my memory. it seems to work.
    Most of the time I use BackupBuddyVFS to restore currupted databases. I'm sure your backup solution will do the trick just as well.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
  5.    #5  
    Thank for all the insight. I am using Zlauncher and have experienced several crashes. The situation only occurs after a crash not a soft reset. The crash related to launching the FontOS from the card. Palm already does a good job backing up files. Would Backup Buddy provide additional benefits?
    I use BackupBuddy as well. It's excellent in that it allows you to save more than one backup (like a Windows System Restore) by setting a "restore point" each time you sync. It also backs up ALL files (like the Saved Preferences.PRC) so going back to a previous state (ie after installing a new program and wanting to completely get rid of it) is very simple.
    i am experiencing the EXACT some problem with my treo. Only after a crash though, its soo weird...

If anyone has ideas, please let us know!
  8.    #8  
    After trying many applications and moving them to the SD Card (and back & forth), my Treo experienced several resets (or crashes). Basically, I am reviewing many Palm applications and pushing the PalmOS as far as possible. After these crashes, the main problem is that most applications require you to re-input serial data. This situation occurs in the applications that were fully functional before the crash. How do you save you preferences and serial data before the crashes? How do I restore preferences after this type of reset? Please give me any insight on how the Treo stores this info. Let me know if you need a list of applications on my Treo (but it changes daily).
    The Saved Preferences file on the Treo got corrupted. That file stores the program registrations.

Restore that file from backups. Use FileZ to copy the file to the SD card before doing anything that you think will cause resets.

Locking applications that run constantly in the background with Resco Locker will help in reducing the liklihood of corruption of the Saved Preferences file.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    <merged>