Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I would like to be a Bata Tester. I started to make ROMs for my Sprint T650 when Shadomite first introduced his T650Tool. In the past I have bricked two phones and thanks to insurance they were replaced. That was a learning experience. I was quite excited to learn of your progress at ROM restoration at the Shadomite site.

My PC meets your stated requirements.
  2. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    This looks great! Any estimate on when it will be available?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    If the beta testers want to talk about how it's going, they are free to say anything they want... but only as long as it's good (j/k )
    The beta is going really well. It is close to open beta. I don't know that there is a real time frame for release. I will say that the directory feature is working well. You can extract your ROM to a folder (this takes ~10 min) then you can add remove files. The upload a new ROM takes a little over a minute. It also verifies you ROM image size so you you don't make the ROM too big. mmastrac is looking right now at adding some really cool tools/options as well. The bug list is getting pretty small.

I will say one thing for those who want to use it. Get the .NET 2.0 runtime files now so ou are ready. It is about 23MB file.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Where do we get those files?
  5. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Would be cool if you could just have a list of checkboxes for GetGood, Real, Versamail, etc, etc. Maybe even carrier-specific stuff.
    Any chance of there being a ROM partition utility to adjust the size of the ROM partition to match whatever custom ROM you make?
  7.    #48  
    Just to let everyone know - I was hacking on some other bootloader stuff (not through the tool, but through the Palm bootloader console) and I managed to overwrite my IPL and perma-brick my GSM phone (ie: won't turn on). Consequently, the release of the tool is going to be delayed slightly. I bought a replacement CDMA motherboard and I'm going to try rigging it up to become a GSM motherboard once it gets here (next week I think).

I think I might release the open beta sometime this weekend, but I can't do much for feature development or bug fixing until I get the replacement mobo or possibly find the JTAG test points and resurrect it.

This has been a bit of a valuable experience however - I might try to shell out for a cracked-screen Treo to use as my deep-bootloader experimental unit. It's going to be painful without my Treo (or any cell) for a week!

For anyone else playing with the bootloader, all I can recommend is to stay away from the "l" and "lr" commands (as well as flashtest, of course). If you don't know what a command does, assume it will do nasty things.
    So you saying that you messed up GSM module ROM and whole Treo won't boot or only GSM Module won't start.
    If last I was in same situation but after I've run full official updater (v1.13) all things get on it's place and my Treo 650 are working properly since then.
    When you start argue with a man try walk a mile in his shoes, after that, who cares - you're in his shoes and he's a mile away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hash
    So you saying that you messed up GSM module ROM and whole Treo won't boot or only GSM Module won't start.
    If last I was in same situation but after I've run full official updater (v1.13) all things get on it's place and my Treo 650 are working properly since then.
    It is not a ROM level but the boot loader.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Just to let everyone know - I was hacking on some other bootloader stuff (not through the tool, but through the Palm bootloader console) and I managed to overwrite my IPL and perma-brick my GSM phone (ie: won't turn on). Consequently, the release of the tool is going to be delayed slightly. I bought a replacement CDMA motherboard and I'm going to try rigging it up to become a GSM motherboard once it gets here (next week I think).

I think I might release the open beta sometime this weekend, but I can't do much for feature development or bug fixing until I get the replacement mobo or possibly find the JTAG test points and resurrect it.

This has been a bit of a valuable experience however - I might try to shell out for a cracked-screen Treo to use as my deep-bootloader experimental unit. It's going to be painful without my Treo (or any cell) for a week!

For anyone else playing with the bootloader, all I can recommend is to stay away from the "l" and "lr" commands (as well as flashtest, of course). If you don't know what a command does, assume it will do nasty things.

Converting to GSM is easy... just run 1.21 with the GSM radio installed. You might have to install the Sprint 1.03 Restore ROM first if it is a Verizon or Earthlink board.

Where are you at? I might be able to spare a board.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    This app is really gonna change things as far as Treo ownership goes.
    Im envisioning my 700p pimped out my way
  12.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Converting to GSM is easy... just run 1.21 with the GSM radio installed. You might have to install the Sprint 1.03 Restore ROM first if it is a Verizon or Earthlink board.

Where are you at? I might be able to spare a board.
    I'm up in here in Canada - not sure if it would be too far to ship. If you could spare a GSM board that would be awesome, but I do have the CDMA showing up by next week from performancepda.

Glad to hear that someone else has converted from CDMA to GSM - I was pretty sure that they had the same hardware but there wasn't any way to know for sure.

Once I get that phone, I'll figure out a way to change the ROM tokens so that I can create an IMEI token to match the IMEI stored in my existing radio module. Not sure if PalmOS actually uses the ROM token though - it seems to only use the one in the phone module.

Thanks a bunch for the tips (and the great disassembly instructions that I used alongside Shadowmite's help ), nonobeez!
  13.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by hash
    Actually, I managed to mess up the IPL - the initial program loader that runs before anything else. This is basically the program that runs every time your Treo is reset and without it, the phone is completely lifeless.

It's not possible to overwrite this normally - only by pulling the power during a ROM upgrade at the IPL flashing stage or by experimenting in the treo bootloader with commands that have nasty side effects.

The only cure for this one is a new motherboard or using JTAG to boot a recovery program. :|
    Wow, that's much deeper than I thought, sorry to here it, but as it says:
    "All that isn't kill you make you stronger".
    Good luck to you in your effort!
    When you start argue with a man try walk a mile in his shoes, after that, who cares - you're in his shoes and he's a mile away.
    I'm up in here in Canada - not sure if it would be too far to ship. If you could spare a GSM board that would be awesome, but I do have the CDMA showing up by next week from performancepda.

Glad to hear that someone else has converted from CDMA to GSM - I was pretty sure that they had the same hardware but there wasn't any way to know for sure.

Once I get that phone, I'll figure out a way to change the ROM tokens so that I can create an IMEI token to match the IMEI stored in my existing radio module. Not sure if PalmOS actually uses the ROM token though - it seems to only use the one in the phone module.

Thanks a bunch for the tips (and the great disassembly instructions that I used alongside Shadowmite's help ), nonobeez!
    I think when you run 1.21 ROW on the CDMA board, it will create the tokens. I actually went back to CDMA from GSM and it still had the token for Gime and I don't know what else.

If you need help when you get the board just let me know. I don't have an extra GSM board, but I do have extra CDMA radios and I might have an extra CDMA board somewhere... I need to look for it.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    So far the ROM tool has be great!

Makes changing and updating your ROM is extremely easy.

Ive been able to download my phones ROM right to my desktop. Since I havn't played with my phone for while there were a few new changes I wanted to do. I replaced the Blazer for the new Fast Blazer (which is awesome BTW) and also added the Fat32.prc. These changes were as simple as moving files in folders... sooo great....

Once I made all the changes I wanted, just uploaded it right to my phone, took maybe 30 seconds.

Not a hickup yet.. and ive been uploading and download time and time again...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I will say one thing for those who want to use it. Get the .NET 2.0 runtime files now so ou are ready. It is about 23MB file.
    but apparently needs something like 140MB on C: (or some even ridiculoulsly higher number) to install. unfortunately my Windows partition is on an old ThinkPad & i'm not really inclined to go to the trouble of moving & resizing partitions around. maybe when the source opens up there will be a Java alternative? or i can get some kind soul to put together a custom ROM for me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123