Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Sprint 650 runs great. Resets maybe once every couple of weeks, almost always in Blazer. I don't miss calls, speaker volume is fine (without volumecare), get great signal strength, and no one complains about how my phone sounds.

And no, I'm not running a plain-jane phone with no extra software. I've got a ton of stuff loaded, and a bunch of background apps. I think it's a great device.

Then again, my 600 was perfectly reliable, too. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I know how to pick 3rd party software that works together, and get rid of software that doesn't cooperate.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    My T650 is fantastic! I use it extensively for checking mail, web surfing and as a phone. I also use TT5, the video player (which is SOOO cool), to read books, and for loads of other purposes and it's incredibly stable. I get a reset or two now and again, but its rare. I went through a bad spell when I was ready to ask Sprint to replace my phone, but a hard reset, removal of a couple of some of the utilities that seemed to cause it hard burn and it's pretty much as reliable as I could hope for! I love this device.

I'm a very, very happy treo owner.
    In all the years I have used a Palm device going back to the original Palm 5000, I have never had to repalce a device due to hardware related issues.

Palm 5000
    Palm III
    Palm VII (2nd hand bought on eBay)
    Palm IIIxe
    Palm Vx (2nd hand from my father in law)
    Tungsten C (now used as my GPS device)
    Sprint Kyocera 6035 (2nd hand bought on eBay)
    Sprint Treo 300 (2nd hand bought on eBay)
    Sprint Treo 600 (hardware version B)
    Sprint Treo 650 (hardware version A)

Not a lemon in the bunch. Mind you, I have had the occassional reset issue with my current 650, but all the resets I have had are software related. I take the time to understand the device and to work through any issues that may arise. Frankly, I think those that have had to replace a device multiple times are most likely having ID-10-T errors then actual hardware problems.

I had a friend go with me to the D.C Treo roadshow in Nov, 04, all gung-ho to get a Treo 650. He owned it for less then a year, grumbled about what he perceived to be shortcomings ("why should I have to BUY software for my Treo to do that?"). He never made the time to understand what the Treo could do for him. My wife is now the owner of his Treo and LOVES IT. She cant understand why she never let me get her a Treo in the first place.

I think the bottom is line you MUST make a whole hearted effort to understand the device your investing in, weather if be a Palm, WM or BB device. Understand what it can and cant do BEFORE you buy it. Make an effort to TROUBLESHOOT problems instead of throwing your hands in the air and complaining what a piece of crap your (place device name here) is.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    My Treo also runs great. But it's expected that there are going to be more people complaining about their problems then people reporting that everything is fine.

When was the last time you called up one of your helpdesks, or customer support reps, just to say that they are doing a great job?
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    No major problems and only three (initiated by me) soft resets in over 1 year of use. (1 clean install to clear some software corruption.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, aren't you a power user? I didn't think any power users made it through a YEAR with three resets. I have 2 resets a day and I thought my setup was good...

Care to list your apps once more?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Having a great time with my 650. Hardly ever resets, better battery life than my 600, good BT. I try different apps, but no custom roms as of yet.
    I've had mine more than a year and probably had two soft resets and that's it. Not a whole lotta extra apps, but a handfull. Sounds and works great.

Not sure where all the rest of you have done to the damn thing
    Quote Originally Posted by galingula

Not sure where all the rest of you have done to the damn thing
    Some of us are having problems and not necessarily because we've 'done something to the damn thing'.

Several users have posted about issues with virgin Treos.

I've also had crashes in Blazer / VersaMail / built-in apps.

BUT I personally know that a lot of MY issues result from 3rd party software. pTunes+Xiino is a recipe for disaster, and other apps behave strangely too. So I expect a few resets a day.

If others can claim long-term stability, I'd be interested in knowing how they acheived that with lots of apps installed.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I have been using mine for 5 months with out any problems. It's not the best palm device but it performs well.
    I dropped mine in the snow once somewhere along my driveway (700' long) , searched for an hour couldn't find it. Tried calling it but it stopped ringing by the time I could get back near where I dropped it. Finally borrowed another cell phone and walked along path calling myself till I found it.
    5 units swapped in 3 months...
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I have had my Cingular T650 for about 4 months now and have had very few problems. Once I upgraded to the 1.17 firmware/software I had even fewer problems. In fact the only reason I have resets right now it that once a week I do a manual soft reset to clear the memory out a bit. I had a couple of problems with Real Player (Not a big surprise there, not sure how they stay in business with such buggy software, even after all these years) so I got Pocket Tunes and have not had problems since.

I try the occasional shareware program and they can be problematic, but by using Uninstall manager I can normally catch the worst offenders right away in sandbox mode and delete them before they cause any real issues.

I use my Treo all the time, I have the Palm form fit case, had the nipple removed since I don't like hanging such an expensive gadget our where I can scrape it off on a door frame or have it yanked off of my belt by a pickpocket.

I use goodlink to get mail and it works fine as well.

I am also one who has been cursed with good luck with my PDAs. Had a HS Visor Deluxe first, worked fine. Then a HS Visor Pro which worked like a charm. Followed up by a Palm Tungsten E where the only problem I had was the select button on the Navigator quit after about 6 months. And now my Treo which, knock on wood, has been very well behaved and a great tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Some of us are having problems and not necessarily because we've 'done something to the damn thing'.

Several users have posted about issues with virgin Treos.

I've also had crashes in Blazer / VersaMail / built-in apps.

BUT I personally know that a lot of MY issues result from 3rd party software. pTunes+Xiino is a recipe for disaster, and other apps behave strangely too. So I expect a few resets a day.

If others can claim long-term stability, I'd be interested in knowing how they acheived that with lots of apps installed.

Hi Skfny!

Long Term Stability
    3rd Party Apps (Alpha Order)

BackupBuddy VFS*
    Documents To Go*
    DiddleBug*
    Diet Assistant*
    eReader & several reference books on SD card*
    HandMark Express*
    EZ_Convert*
    FileZ*
    finCalc (Landware)*
    iPedia
    MegaClock*
    MMPlayer
    Movie Guide (Landware)
    Mobile TS (Terminal Server connection to work Main Frame.)*
    mSafe
    mVoice
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken*
    Real Player*
    SlovoEd Eng/Spanish Spanish/Eng Dictionary
    VersaMail* (4 home, 1 work account set up)
    VoiceDial*
    VolumeCare*
    Web via Blazer*

*Used Daily

Cheers, Perry
  15.    #35  
    Wow Perry, that's pretty damn impressive. Only like three resets in a year?

I know what you mean Islndboi, but I just feel like the 650 is being misrepresented by all these people posting about having to replace it several times over etc etc. They're giving my baby a bad name! Haha

From what I can tell, most problems can be blamed on third-party apps that don't get along too well, or user error, one of the two. I have a bunch of third-party apps on my Treo right now, some of which change how the thing operates, and I'm not having any problems at all. And when I said I get a soft reset every other day or so, I was really stretching it.

I suppose it might seem sad to some people that the occasional soft reset isn't considered a major problem, but given how much this device does for me, the occasional clearing of the attic(which takes like what, 20 seconds?) is perfectly acceptable to me.

To all you people out there who are having problems with consistent crashes, resets, lock-ups etc etc., have patience. It won't be long at all before you figure out exactly which app it is that's causing the problem, or which combination of apps that are causing the problem. So to sum it up: don't hate the playa, hate the game
    No serious issues here. Made a custom ROM, put the bare minimum of stuff in it to give me gobs of DBCache, i schedule a backup and softreset each night and it runs like a champ.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Skfny!

Long Term Stability
    3rd Party Apps (Alpha Order)

BackupBuddy VFS*
    Documents To Go*
    DiddleBug*
    Diet Assistant*
    eReader & several reference books on SD card*
    HandMark Express*
    EZ_Convert*
    FileZ*
    finCalc (Landware)*
    iPedia
    MegaClock*
    MMPlayer
    Movie Guide (Landware)
    Mobile TS (Terminal Server connection to work Main Frame.)*
    mSafe
    mVoice
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken*
    Real Player*
    SlovoEd Eng/Spanish Spanish/Eng Dictionary
    VersaMail* (4 home, 1 work account set up)
    VoiceDial*
    VolumeCare*
    Web via Blazer*

*Used Daily

Cheers, Perry
    I don't see any of my 'Crash-replacement' apps in the list:

Xiino
    Chatter
    pTunes
    Fonts4OS5

Without those apps, I'd probably have fewer resets, but I don't know about 3x/yr. Of course, without those, I might as well be using a dumbphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Perry, aren't you a power user? I didn't think any power users made it through a YEAR with three resets. I have 2 resets a day and I thought my setup was good...
    Just saw this one.. . . . . . LOL.

Compared to most on this forum. . . . I consider myself a noob!

Last edited by gtwo; 02/13/2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Problem free since 1.20/GSM firmware.

I'm tempted by the custom rom/FAT 32 to get faster card access and some extra dBCache, but after giving the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" speech to my son this weekend, I think I'll just sit tight for a while.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I consider myself a noob!
    ...mmm, only 3 reset in one year I consider you an alien
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast