Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if any of the multimedia player software providers plan on providing streaming WMA support? If they did, it would make my decision about staying with Palm OS or switching to WM5 much easier. I'd like to stay with Palm OS, but......
    I think we need to seriously push the s/w developers to support streaming wma/wmv...
    In my opinion they are inferior codecs, but it seems like 80% of the content on the web uses wma/wmv... I hate getting a wmv attachment or link in a email and not being able to view it until I get home. (I don't work near a pc)
    I think a bounty would be a good idea, since money talks more than anything... I know Normsoft(Ptunes) could probably add streaming wma support, and I think I read TCPMP was working on wmv & streaming wmv support.. Mobitv might be interested as well... If we contact the developers & get a nice bounty together we might get some results.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I second - I'll bounty on this one. I'd love to be able to finally stream my XM instead of having to Shoutcast it.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    In my opinion they are inferior codecs
    In your opinion what makes them inferior?
    Quote Originally Posted by hariustrk
    In your opinion what makes them inferior?
    I'm a Divx & Xvid geek, no WMV file I have seen matches the quality/compression of a Divx or Xvid file... For example there is no way I could get the same quality out of a 250mb wmv movie encoded for my Treo that I could get using the dixv codec...

wma is a different story... they are pretty much on parr with ogg and mp3 files
    I wonder if Windows themselves have something to do with this or lack of.
    I'd like streaming WMA too. Maybe somebody could port the WMA-streaming code from VLC, like TCP/MP does.
    -- Go Illini!
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    wma is a different story... they are pretty much on parr with ogg and mp3 files
    I don't know about ogg, but .wma (and it's various flavors) is far superior to .mp3.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I wonder if Windows themselves have something to do with this or lack of.
    I believe part of the problem is that you have to pay a royalty to Microsoft. Don't know how much though.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    At $35, pocket tunes is one of the more expensive apps I've bought. You'd think that would cover some licensing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    At $35, pocket tunes is one of the more expensive apps I've bought. You'd think that would cover some licensing.....
    There is a .wma decoder included in PocketTunes so part of the $35 is probably covering that cost. I really wish PTunes Deluxe could stream wma's though.
    I'm back!
    It is a licensing issue. Miicrosoft is using the ability to stream WMA as a selling point for WIndows Mobile and wont' let palm have it.
    What is a superior codec is completely moot to the point of wanting streaming WMA support. It's not a matter of codec choice or we wouldn't have this discussion.
    The point is that there are content providers out ther that use WM codecs (Sirius satellite radio for example) and I personally would like to get that content on my Treo just as people already can do on WM5 devices.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  14.    #14  
    Does it really matter what codec is superior? Beta was superior to VHS, but look what happened there. Since the vast majority of streaming audio "out there" is wma, we need streaming wma support to take advantage of the content out there. I don't think "we" are going to be able to force the whole world to switch. That's just Utopia. It ain't real.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It is a licensing issue. Miicrosoft is using the ability to stream WMA as a selling point for WIndows Mobile and wont' let palm have it.
    Is that a known fact? The author of PocketTunes was able to get WMA approval for downloadable content from music stores....?
    I also believe it's not legal to withhold licensing rights. I doubt that Micorosoft won't let Palm have it when Microsoft is encouraging everyone to use and adopt WMA to make it a defacto standard. It's in their best interest to licenses it.
    Palm hasn't included it becuase there isn't a cost effective marketing position behind including.
    Cue, it is my guess, not a known fact. I think PT was able to get the WMA codec for local files to facilitate the spread of WMA files (still a distant second to MP3s) while in streams, WMA is already strong and the only other streaming codec for palm is MP3 (a second to WMA, I think).

Taylor,
    Why is it not legal? Does it have to do with the antitrust settlement or is is blanketly illegal? Surely they don't have to make codecs for everyone out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I also believe it's not legal to withhold licensing rights.
    This is incorrect.... Look at apple.

I doubt that Micorosoft won't let Palm have it when Microsoft is encouraging everyone to use and adopt WMA to make it a defacto standard. It's in their best interest to licenses it.
    It already is the standard for streaming audio, primarily because almost anyone can listen to it and because of DRM... Streaming MP3 has none!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Cue, it is my guess, not a known fact. I think PT was able to get the WMA codec for local files to facilitate the spread of WMA files (still a distant second to MP3s) while in streams, WMA is already strong and the only other streaming codec for palm is MP3 (a second to WMA, I think).
    I'd be curious to see if the author of PocketTunes ever posts here and if could respond...
    As I recall, streaming wma support was on the future roadmap for PTunes according to the dev...

FYI, M$ charges lots of $$ for wma lisencing for non-windoze platforms...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast