1.    #1  
    I've just (finally) managed to make and install a custom ROM onto my Treo and there were a few steps that I got stuck on, mainly due to the fact that Tem's excellent guide 'Custom Rom by a dummy 4 dummies' is aimed at CDMA devices, not GSM. In the spirit of sharing I thought I'd detail those differences and save some time for other 'custom ROM dummies' like myself.

First, read the 'Custom ROM by a dummy...' thread as it details most of the info you need.

Differences:

1. There are a lot of extra language files in the GSM ROM that aren't in the CDMA. The English ones all end with enUS.oprc or enUS.lprc so you'll need to keep these. You can delete *nearly* all of the German (deDE.oprc/lprc), Spanish (esES.oprc/lprc), French (frFR.oprc/lprc) and Italian (itIT.oprc/lprc) files.
    2. I put *nearly* because you need to keep one extra language file for the following (list by Jamesgangut):

DigitizerPnl_XXXX.oprc

IIDatalib_XXXX.oprc

LatinLocModule-2X_XXXX.oprc

LocalLib_XXXX.oprc

LocsLib_XXXX.oprc

SetupApp_XXXX.oprc

SplashscreenColor-2X_XXXX.oprc

Apparently this prevents a problem with the 'Carrier Version'. I kept the German (deDE) versions simply because they came first in the list.

3. The 'Custom ROM by a Dummy...' thread lists the following step:

(11) I went to my folder named ROM and drag and dropped 2 files CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_Device and ROMUpdaterApp over to my newly created launcher folder.
      However, although the 'ROMUpdaterApp' is there and needs to be copied as mentioned above, you won't find 'CMDAFirmwareUpdaterApp_Device' in a GSM ROM. Instead you need to copy over the following files:

FirmwareFlasher.pdb

FirmwareParamInd.pdb

FirmwarePatch2.pdb

FirmwarePatch.pdb

FirmwareStackRel.pdb

FirmwareUpdaterApp.prc

FirmwareUpdaterApp_enUS.prc

1. The only way to tell if your ROM is too big after adding programs is to check the original size of the ace-palmos.zip against your newly created custom ace-palmos.zip. My original unaltered zip was 8156k and the custom one I created was 7383k. I put the following programs in the ROM:

AeroPlayer (& plugins)

AlwaysOn

DateBK5

DiddleBug

FieldPlus

FileZ

Keyring

PetitLaunch

SlovoEd

Shortcuts.prc & Shortcuts_enUS.prc

SoftReset

Snap

They all seem to work okay. I also added the FAT32.prc found HERE, which has vastly improved the access speed of my 1gig SD card. I tried putting my custom splash screen overlay into ROM but the original splash still shows when turning on the phone.http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif

I'm sure I noticed a few other things, so I'll update this as necessary.
    Last edited by checkmate; 07/23/2006 at 01:11 PM.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Checkmate,
    Thanks for this. I finally was able to load a custom rom on my Cingular Treo 650 with the help of this.

Thanks again,
    Steve
    This would be good info for me to link to in my original post. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    [*]I put *nearly* because you need to keep one extra language file for the following (list by Berdinkerdickle):

DigitizerPnl_XXXX.oprc
    IIDatalib_XXXX.oprc
    LocalLib_XXXX.oprc
    LocsLib_XXXX.oprc
    SetupApp_XXXX.oprc
    Thanks,
    However, The List Came From James.
    I should have mentioned that.
    I'm sure he is totally bent out of shape!
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks,
    However, The List Came From James.
    Thanks. I've updated the details accordingly.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    I've just (finally) managed to make and install a custom ROM onto my Treo and there were a few steps that I got stuck on, mainly due to the fact that Tem's excellent guide 'Custom Rom by a dummy 4 dummies' is aimed at CDMA devices, not GSM. In the spirit of sharing I thought I'd detail those differences and save some time for other 'custom ROM dummies' like myself.

First, read the 'Custom ROM by a dummy...' thread as it details most of the info you need.

Differences:

1. There are a lot of extra language files in the GSM ROM that aren't in the CDMA. The English ones all end with enUS.oprc or enUS.lprc so you'll need to keep these. You can delete *nearly* all of the German (deDE.oprc/lprc), Spanish (esES.oprc/lprc), French (frFR.oprc/lprc) and Italian (itIT.oprc/lprc) files.
    2. I put *nearly* because you need to keep one extra language file for the following (list by Jamesgangut):

DigitizerPnl_XXXX.oprc
      IIDatalib_XXXX.oprc
      LocalLib_XXXX.oprc
      LocsLib_XXXX.oprc
      SetupApp_XXXX.oprc

Apparently this prevents a problem with the 'Carrier Version'. I kept the German (deDE) versions simply because they came first in the list.

3. The 'Custom ROM by a Dummy...' thread lists the following step:

However, you won't find 'CMDAFirmwareUpdaterApp_Device' in a GSM ROM. Instead you need to copy over the following files:

FirmwareFlasher.pdb
      FirmwareParamInd.pdb
      FirmwarePatch2.pdb
      FirmwarePatch.pdb
      FirmwareStackRel.pdb
      FirmwareUpdaterApp.prc
      FirmwareUpdaterApp_enUS.prc

4. The only way to tell if your ROM is too big after adding programs is to check the original size of the ace-palmos.zip against your newly created custom ace-palmos.zip. My original unaltered zip was 8156k and the custom one I created was 7383k. I put the following programs in the ROM:

AeroPlayer (& plugins)
      AlwaysOn
      DateBK5
      DiddleBug
      FieldPlus
      FileZ
      Keyring
      PetitLaunch
      SlovoEd
      Shortcuts.prc & Shortcuts_enUS.prc
      SoftReset
      Snap

They all seem to work okay. I also added the FAT32.prc found HERE, which has vastly improved the access speed of my 1gig SD card. I tried putting my custom splash screen overlay into ROM but the original splash still shows when turning on the phone.http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif

I'm sure I noticed a few other things, so I'll update this as necessary.

I am a novice with my Cingular GSM treo 650, but desperately need it to recognize my 4GB SD card for more than 1.7GB. I have been following the instructions listed under 'Custom ROM by a dummy...' and have reached the point where it links to your notes for GSM phones. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but where are you copying all of the files from? I have been unable to locate them.

Thanks.
    If all you want to do is get FAT32 running for your 4GB card. You need to just download RomTool and download your ROM remove fatfs add fat32 upload back and your done.

You check here for some other help.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110386
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I second james' suggestion.
    Read up on the Rom Tool.
    Just call me Berd.
  9.    #9  
    Point 4 in my list is not really necessary anymore now you can use the ROM tool.

The following files from point 2 are found in the ROM already on your Treo:

DigitizerPnl_XXXX.oprc
    IIDatalib_XXXX.oprc
    LocalLib_XXXX.oprc
    LocsLib_XXXX.oprc
    SetupApp_XXXX.oprc

BUT you have to substitute the Xs. For instance, if you are leaving the above files in German, you will be looking for:

DigitizerPnl_deDE.oprc
    IIDatalib_deDE.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_deDE.oprc
    LocalLib_deDE.oprc
    LocsLib_deDE.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    i use a mac and am ready to go, but i cant find a clean cing updated rom set to start with. shadowmite's tool is the only one I've found to work with mac, so i cant figure out how to start without somehow magically copying my rom or getting lucky finding one out there