1.    #1  
    Ok, I've downloaded and tried Blazer on both a Visor Deluxe using the SpringPort 56K GlobalAccess modem and on a brand new Palm Vx using the Vx modem. On neither machine did Blazer do anything! Has anyone else really got it to work?

I've tried Palmscape, ProxiWeb, and Browse-It on both machines and they all seem to work. Blazer on the other hand connects via WinRAS and then starts "Receving...." with a little indicator in the upper right corner but never seemes to receive anything. I've let it run for 5 minutes or more, tried numerous pages and have yet to see a single web page come up via Blazer. Yet when I use any of the other browsers, I get an almost instant response.

Anyone care to share their experiences with Blazer?

Thanks
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    You might want to try again. I noticed the proxy server they use to re-format pages for your handheld was down recently, but seems to be working again today. That's the disadvantage of proxy-based web browsers like Blazer, Proxiweb/Browse-it, and Palmscape -- if the proxy server is down, you can't get to ANYTHING. Of course, the advantage is it's MUCH faster with graphics, since you aren't downloading those monstrous full-size images over your piddly 9600 bps connection. Then again, if you don't care about graphics, just use EudoraWeb for text browsing -- it's very fast!
    A quick question about proxi serving:

What's in it for the server? I mean, what's ProxiWeb's business model? I don't pay them anything and I don't get any ads beyond what is on whatever website I go to.
    Jeff
  4. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    A quick question about proxi serving:

What's in it for the server? I mean, what's ProxiWeb's business model? I don't pay them anything and I don't get any ads beyond what is on whatever website I go to.
    Well, some of these browsers will eventually be charged for (paid either by the end user, or by manufacturers who want to bundle the sw with their handhelds/modules). Also, these companies want to sell their proxy server software to enterprises or service providers if they have enough handheld web users.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Rob. I tried to use Blazer over a period of several days using the Visor Deluxe and the SpringPort modem with no luck. I tired the Palm Vx all last weekend (off and on both Sat and Sun. with no luck). Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I've returned the SpringPort Modem simply because my Visor keeps locking up everytime I changed modules. This gets very frustrating. I have to do a soft reset when I take out the 8MB module and put in the modem and same when I go back the other way, another soft reset. This also happens when swapping out the backup module! I'm not running any hacks and haven't installed much other software so I don't think this is normal. Now, just this past week I have to do a soft reset before I can do a USB sync with my desktop! I've had the Vx for two weeks now with out a single soft reset. Of course it doesn't have modules but I have used it with the Vx modem without a problem.

I like the Visor but....
  6. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Guardian
    I've returned the SpringPort Modem simply because my Visor keeps locking up everytime I changed modules. This gets very frustrating. I have to do a soft reset when I take out the 8MB module and put in the modem and same when I go back the other way, another soft reset. This also happens when swapping out the backup module! I'm not running any hacks and haven't installed much other software so I don't think this is normal. Now, just this past week I have to do a soft reset before I can do a USB sync with my desktop! I've had the Vx for two weeks now with out a single soft reset. Of course it doesn't have modules but I have used it with the Vx modem without a problem.

I like the Visor but....
    Sounds to me like a problem with your Visor. You should call Handspring and get it exchanged. They are usually very good about getting you a replacement quickly, and will send you a box with pre-paid label to return your defective unit.