Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK...

I'm pretty fed up with this POS phone....

Why do the earpieces KEEP GOING OUT on these things?

This is my FOURTH replacement!

Anyone have a quick fix so I don't have to wait for Sprint to get me a new phone again?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............
    T
    volumecare new version gives you the ability to bypass broken eatphone jack
    Treoing & Loving it
    How do you use your jack? What headset or adapter do you use? How often? The reason I ask is because I think the regular hard plastic OEM adapter from Palm puts way too much stress on the jack. I think the best one is the one from Seidio with a short wire to the adapter jack itself. Puts little stress on the jack. I am also very careful plugging and unplugging it and I use it almost every day. Had one jack go bad and hope to make this one last.
    Last edited by gapost; 02/11/2006 at 07:30 PM.
  4.    #4  
    No, I mean the MAIN earpiece....
    The ONLY ways I can hear people are either through the speakerphone or headset.

I see this is a somewhat common problem,a nd I'll have it replaced AGAIN by Sprint... But WHY does this keep happening?

I noticed today that as I spoke to the person I was talking to when it went out, their voice was distorted... Then it just died.
    They hear ME fine but I can't hear a thing.

grrrrrrr....

T
    Sorry to hear that, no pun intended.
    First report of this I've heard.. Do you use your phone in the rain or anything like that?
    I'm having a similar problem, but it isn't only the earpiece. My speakerphone doesn't work & no one can hear me. It only works with a headset plugged in. I just got it in Dec. & am clueless. It just happened yesterday.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TISGOD
    No, I mean the MAIN earpiece....
    The ONLY ways I can hear people are either through the speakerphone or headset.

I see this is a somewhat common problem,a nd I'll have it replaced AGAIN by Sprint... But WHY does this keep happening?

I noticed today that as I spoke to the person I was talking to when it went out, their voice was distorted... Then it just died.
    They hear ME fine but I can't hear a thing.

grrrrrrr....

T
    My wife had the same problem. It was cured by taking it to Sprint and and having them clean the contacts for the ear speaker. Also it did it again recently, and I told her to tap the earpiece a few times with her finger which fixed it! LOL. So here are the 2 remedies that worked for me. I guess I should go update that old thread that both you and I were involved in. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=speaker
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    First report of this I've heard.. Do you use your phone in the rain or anything like that?
    POTS telephone companies around the world, including Bell Canada and Saudi Telephone had repair problems with the receiver (U1) units in their telephone handsets caused by customer's ear sweat... http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif
  10. lua
    at least it's sweat, not wax.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by kittydog
    I'm having a similar problem, but it isn't only the earpiece. My speakerphone doesn't work & no one can hear me. It only works with a headset plugged in. I just got it in Dec. & am clueless. It just happened yesterday.
    It sounds like the dreaded headset jack problem. It doesn't release when you take out the headset. If that's the problem, you have to have the Treo replaced. We have had two replace and mine is starting to do this periodically.
  12.    #12  
    Yeah, looks like I'll be heading out to Sprint in a few to get them to order me another.

Crap man, this is driving me nuts.

A $700 phone shouldn't die out like these have.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Eyes

Buys

Fries

T
    Here is some info on the dreaded headset jack problem and some info for a permanent fix.

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    POTS telephone companies around the world, including Bell Canada and Saudi Telephone had repair problems with the receiver (U1) units in their telephone handsets caused by customer's ear sweat... http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif
    It gets hot enough in Canada to sweat?
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yeah, looks like I'll be heading out to Sprint in a few to get them to order me another.

Crap man, this is driving me nuts.

A $700 phone shouldn't die out like these have.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Eyes

Buys

Fries

T
    Did you try and tap the ear piece like I suggested?
  16.    #16  
    I blew in it, tapped it, smacked it on the table from frustration....

Nothing.

THEN I went to the Sprint store yesterday to have a new opne ordered, waited 45 minutes, and when I was finally called they said that I would have to leave it overnight for them to "inspect". I told them to just make a call and see that the dang thing didn't work and he said they would have to take it apart and check the inside.

So now I have to find time to get back over there... Wait... And leave my phone for who knows how long only for them to come to the conclusion that my ear piece is dead and order me anoth4er that's gonna do the same crap.
    I blew in it, tapped it, smacked it on the table from frustration....

Nothing.

THEN I went to the Sprint store yesterday to have a new opne ordered, waited 45 minutes, and when I was finally called they said that I would have to leave it overnight for them to "inspect". I told them to just make a call and see that the dang thing didn't work and he said they would have to take it apart and check the inside.

So now I have to find time to get back over there... Wait... And leave my phone for who knows how long only for them to come to the conclusion that my ear piece is dead and order me anoth4er that's gonna do the same crap.
    If you can't let it go, you might consider the VolumeCare solution. A component of VolumeCare bypassess the earpiece switch.
    I received a phone today with one jacked up jack!!! All 3 contacts inside were not making contact with the headset connector, the 2 mechanical switches tested bad with an ohm meter, and the ground circuit was disconnected from the motherboard solder pad.

the only obvious defect was the disconnected ground circuit, and I had to use a magnifier to see it. The housing was even secure to the motherboard. This is the first jack I see like this, but it repaired fine.

No amout of wiggeling, shaking or cleaning will repair a jack like this. This was a Cingular phone. I have yet to get a CDMA phone for repair... seems Sprint and Verizon take better care of their customers.
    So you claim the different carriers have differing manufactoring QA? That's piling the sh|t deep..
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    So you claim the different carriers have differing manufactoring QA? That's piling the sh|t deep..

You read to much into it... Sprint and Verizon swap phones more readliy under warranty.

And On the GSM side, many buy phones from a 3ed party branded but unlocked... and are not covered by palm's warranty and cannot get insurance.

Only GSM unlocked and unbranded Treo phones are covered by Palm warranty, all others are covered via the carrier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast