Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why do you suppose that Palm did not release the FAT32 driver for SD when they released their recent ROM upgrades? They clearly had the software and it seems to work pretty well. Can't use the excuse of the carriers not wanting them to. Carriers wouldn't care. Seems like no good reason not to distrubute it and I can think of at least one good reason to do so. Customer satisfaction.

What is Palm's problem?
    Don't be too hard on palm. They have a extensive amount of testing they and each carrier must do to consider any change to a commercial product. They can't just release it. It takes a lot of time and money for a change like this. In all honesty, I would think they prefer this means of release as they don't have to support it, but it makes people happy.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Don't be too hard on palm. They have a extensive amount of testing they and each carrier must do to consider any change to a commercial product. They can't just release it. It takes a lot of time and money for a change like this. In all honesty, I would think they prefer this means of release as they don't have to support it, but it makes people happy.
    A little sinister view would be that you need to buy the Treo 700p for this feature.
    To be fair, the Treo 650 has been the most supported device in the history of Palm!! The have released more updates and tweaks for the Treo than any device in the history of the company afaikafaikafaik...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Well then, let's leak an Update to Blazer
    Just call me Berd.
    Thanks to Shadowmite, I just put a custom ROM on my Treo with Fat 32.

Shadowmite, you are the man!!!!!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Here's to hoping that the final product of the 700p or the hollywood or the lowrider has a hackable wifi app built into them that can be ported to the 650.
    Well FAT32 on the Treo650 is not 100% supported for all apps. So far the following apps are not working right with it:
    -SplashBlog cannot read full images size only thumbnails
    -Butler MP3s do not work
    -Goodlink seems to have issues too.
    -QuickNews may crash sometimes with reading images.

Anybody else has experienced the same problems.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Well FAT32 on the Treo650 is not 100% supported for all apps. So far the following apps are not working right with it:
    -Butler MP3s do not work

Al
    Regarding FAT32 and GoodLink...

I had no problems backing/restoring GoodLink (4.0 & 4.7) from the SD card with FAT32 installed. It runs fine after restore too.

Al
    I can confirm that when I try to add a pic to my Splashblog and the image is on the card I get "Photos for one or more pending items could not be found and were not synched with the server."
    -Butler MP3s do not work

Al
    Actually I'm finding mp3's are OK with Pocket Tunes, but wma files "jump".
    The wma files "jump" with Initiate as well. ?

This is with FAT32 in ROM, but still using FAT16 format on an SD card.
    Are you using FAT32 format on the SD card, perhaps that will help?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Actually I'm finding mp3's are OK with Pocket Tunes, but wma files "jump".
    The wma files "jump" with Initiate as well. ?

This is with FAT32 in ROM, but still using FAT16 format on an SD card.
    Are you using FAT32 format on the SD card, perhaps that will help?
    Yeah.... I read that most poeple prefer FAT16 because it is faster on the SD cards. I wonder if I should make it FAT32. Anybody having issues with FAT16 SD cards?

Al
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The people saying the card is faster with FAT16 on the card are going by benchmarks. I, and many others, say that if you reformat the card in the Treo after the upgrade the SD formats as FAT32 and many things, especially pictures, run faster.

Whatever you do do not format FAT32 from the computer, this will result in long transfer times.
    -Butler MP3s do not work

Al
    Actually, upon further investigation, Technician (similar to Butler) does not always play the Mp3s as well (for ringers and SMS). Sometimes it plays, other times during a "test" i just get vibrate.

I guess I'll reformat the card to FAT32. Cadams, you mention to not format it via computer b/c of slow speeds. What then is the best way to do it from the Treo? TIA
    I formated an SD card from my Treo and on my PC it still displayed as a normal FAT format.
    I tried some wma files, but they still jumped.

I then formated it to FAT32 from my pc. Back on my Treo the wma files still jumped.

So I don't think FAT32 format to the card helps.
    Thought of the day :
    I reformatted my card via WinXP to fat32. It looks like Technician works now (consistently) but I'll need more time to evaluate.

It doesn't look like SplashBlog can recognize the pics on the SD card though either fat or fat32. Anyone else confirm/deny?
    If we contact the developers of the affected applications, will they consider making it compatible? I can't use splashblog as well.
    Yeah, I too noticed the SplashBlog has problem reding original images from the card.
    QuickNews has no issue works fine for me. PTunes works fine but I don't use wmv anyway. There are no other issues found. I generally run hundrads of apps on my Treo

Cheers!
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    After the Treo 700p start shipping the software developers will be forced to fix this problem with FAT32. This is the problem when you on the leading edge of Palm technology (first introduced in Windows 95 OSR 2).
    I'm told that this driver may have come from the Palm Life Drive unit.

I wonder if that unit has the same problem ?
    Thought of the day :
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast