Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I am curious. With using a seperate launcher (I use Launcher X) do I really need more memory? Most stuff I have runs from the card. Is there that much that needs to be run from the phone memory?
    I think 64mb (52mb usable) will be great, 128mb would be the tops required for internal memory, with the ability to use an SD card as you suggest. The current 22mb is a little cramped. My Tungsten T3 had the 64/52 and I was very happy with that.

Cheers, Perry.
    any reason they couldn't have 1gig? I mean they can have 4gig sd cards.
    Some programs are big memory hogs, mostly communications stuff. So if you run say chattermail and have a bunch of "running in background" stuff, it can get tight. Or say runnin TomTom GPS software whle having Goodlink running in background.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett
    any reason they couldn't have 1gig? I mean they can have 4gig sd cards.
    Hi Frank!

How many Treos are sold? Let's say 1 million or so. What percent of users would use 1GB? I bet that there is at least 60-70% of those million that think 64mb or 128mb would be just fabulous.

Cost difference between 128mb and 1GB?

@ $1 = 1 million more profit
    @ $5 = 5 million more profit
    @ $10 = 10 million more profit.

Kelloggs gives hefty bonuses to packaging designers for shaving 1/4 cent off the cost of a box. . . . . .

I do not have a problem with Palm NOT designing to the top 10% of the user base -- but 22mb was weak.

64mb will be good
    128mb would be great
    anything above that would be throwing money out the window.

Cheers, Perry.
    agree with you- but, who typically buys a smart phone? its almost by definition a 'power user' and there might be degrees of difference.

Personally, for the 700p I'd like to see a minimum of 128- anything less and I'm probably going to yawn.
  7.    #7  
    I am not talking about the cost issue or profit for palm. Just I seem to be fine with the 32MB and LauncherX. Do folks really find that they do not have enough? I do think more should be included, but then I think why.
    I certainly haven't run into an memory issues on my Treo.....A short while back I had 20 MB free until I put more stuff in main memory for faster load times.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    do you see substantially slower processing when memory space is low? i know this holds true for workstations.... sure, i like putting stuff on the external card, but i've lost my card before, and also, there have been instances where i put my hand in my pocket on to see that the card has jumped out.... boooo
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
    Quote Originally Posted by ike301
    do you see substantially slower processing when memory space is low?
    Some programs will crash, others simply refuse to load.

sure, i like putting stuff on the external card, but i've lost my card before, and also, there have been instances where i put my hand in my pocket on to see that the card has jumped out.... boooo
    Only time I generally pop it out is when I am pressing it down into the car cradle for the Seidio G235S. But if you are having that problem, I'd recommend PalmPuke which will make the Treo emit a loud barfing sound when it pops out (otehr sound choices are available). I tried a few similar apps but they weren't as effective....and I also happen to like the author's sense of humor on the sound warnings.
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    Ok, I am curious. With using a seperate launcher (I use Launcher X) do I really need more memory? Most stuff I have runs from the card. Is there that much that needs to be run from the phone memory?
    Well, 23 Mbs usable might seem like plenty at first, but after you've had your Treo for awhile, you'll start acquiring more and more apps, and then you'll start to feel kind of pinched. I have about 10 MBs free right now, and it's the most I've had free in a long long time. Apps that work in the background won't work off of a card, and alarms won't go off if the app the alarm was set in is on the card.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I dont like launcherx. I like the standard launcher.
    So yes we do need more.
    Some folks use several programs that use databases.
    Look at java.. a program to let other programs work.. what a hog it is...
    Id rather leave my card for multimedia and backup use only.
    I had 52mb usable on my Tungsten T3. I had about 30mb filled and 20mb free for other operatioins, such as, Email downloads and storage. This amount served me very well. I look forward to getting back to that amount with the 700P.

Cheers, Perry.
    Pimp142:

Most of these comments are for readers rather than yaself as I thought there might be confusion in that some might infer from ya post that these things can't me moved to the card.

Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    I dont like launcherx. I like the standard launcher.
    The use of a launcher in and of itself won't affect what's on your card or not and therefore how much memory you have...in fact with the default launcher you will have slightly more memory as it's one less program to store.

Some folks use several programs that use databases.
    These can be moved to the card.

Look at java.. a program to let other programs work.. what a hog it is...
    This can be moved to the card also.

Id rather leave my card for multimedia and backup use only.
    Not an unreasonable prefernce but one has to remember that this was not likely the intention of the Palm designers. The Treo's target market is business professionals with lots of spreadsheets, word proc apps, PDF's and programs to carry around.

Also one can certainly carry around two SD cards. The original 128 MB freebie from Palm is more than enough for all your programs and backups and you can carry a 2 GB job for all your multimedia
    The issue really is a larger DBcache. Larger the DBcache is the more stable the Treo will be. I also would love to see more dynamic heap as well, but doubt that will happen...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The issue really is a larger DBcache. Larger the DBcache is the more stable the Treo will be. I also would love to see more dynamic heap as well, but doubt that will happen...
    I think you're right. Since I've freed up some RAM resets seem to happen much less often.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Thanks to a custom ROM, I have 16.2 MB free now, and my Treo is running better than ever.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    jack... I hope that was a typo and your not pickin a fight
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    jack... I hope that was a typo and your not pickin a fight
    The guy who's pimpin is generally associated with ones who are pumpin

So maybe it was a Freudian slip. If I had a therapist, I'd SMS now !

In truth tho...why did they put that "i" key right next to the "u" key ?

Dupuytrens has really hurt my typing skills.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    kool....
    in my case the pump has nuthin to do with sex .. more like a big red truck.

I just want more memory.. I know some are fine on the card..but im also dreaming of a day when i cankeep the slot open for a wifi card and keep the rest internal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast