Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Were the recent GSM and Sprint updates the earlier, rumored "big" updates? Do you guys think Palm is still going to release bigger ROM updates this month?
    I was thinking that It would almost be totally Rude if they did Not.
    They didn't give Us Fat32.
    What about BT?
    Anything on the 700P (not hardware related)
    Just call me Berd.
    Blackberry client that is!! It is ready!
  4.    #4  
    With RIM losing it's case in the courts, I don't think Palm or Sprint are going to put any BB software into the Treo.
    It already is. They just haven't released it yet. I have seen the test versions. I don't know when they will release it. As far as I have seen it's done, just not released...
    But I don't care, I don't wanna use it. It would be great if they build a working ActiveSync solution for push e-mail wth Exchange 2003 SP2.
  7.    #7  
    Where have you seen these "test versions"? Care to give us some info. on what the big updates are in this un-released firmware? Also, is this firmware for Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, GSM?
    Rest assured, darklord knows what he/she is talking about.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    RIM just announced that they have new software that will get around the patent issue if they are forced to shut down the current system. All new Blackberries going out now have it installed and it can be activated by the server. All previous models can be upgraded with a download. There are several articles in various publications.

This is probably what Sprint has been waiting for so they should release it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    With RIM losing it's case in the courts, I don't think Palm or Sprint are going to put any BB software into the Treo.
    Case appears moot.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...round_details/

RIM will ship a software patch that converts Blackberries into what it calls "multi-mode" devices. New product will get the code automatically. If the US District Court bans the current, patent-infringing "standard mode" Blackberry, RIM will activate an alternative, non-infringing mode on all upgraded devices.

Of course Visto may look at workaround and say it infringes too and amend their claim.
    Where have you seen these "test versions"? Care to give us some info. on what the big updates are in this un-released firmware? Also, is this firmware for Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, GSM?
    I can't say, but I have seen the development of this software. Like I said, as far as I know it's ready, but not yet released to the public.
    To be clear: it will be an add-on, not a new firmware. The BBC is developed in the 1.20 firmware.
    I don't know for sure, but 1.20 probably will be the last firmware for the Treo 650...

I also got word from inside P1 they are developing a new Treo for Europe. The Treo 700w will never be released in Europe so they are busy designing/testing a new one. Details: it won't have an antenna like all other Treos, it will run WM5 and the camera will be a lot more advanced....
    RIM won it's case in the courts. The patent has been declared invalid by the patent office. It's all over but the shouting. And in any case RIM announced another "unpatented" method today.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by darklord
    I also got word from inside P1 they are developing a new Treo for Europe. The Treo 700w will never be released in Europe so they are busy designing/testing a new one. Details: it won't have an antenna like all other Treos, it will run WM5 and the camera will be a lot more advanced....
    More information on this PLEASE!! Will Cingular carry this treo being that they are a GSM service? Will it have HSDPA?? When can we expect it to be released?? Is this the Treo Hollywood? How do you know about it?? Please darklord let us know!!
    Nice info there Darklord, goes along with some of what I heard from my sources concerning the 650 as well (no more updates unless someone emergency-wise comes down the pipe). Quick question to you (if answerable), will all Treos be going to 1.20, or is that just carrier decsion?

The EU model is supposed to be EU only, but if it is a quad band phone, there is no reason why one wouldnt be able to get it over here. I'd rather not say that Cingular/Tmob would carry it because those subsidies might not be enough to spur them to sell it. Palm could sell it as they do the unbranded 650 and do some good over here if that were the case though.

If EU only HSDPA would probably be, as well as UTMS and EDGE just for those "weaker" areas over there.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I don't know anything about the release of BBC nor do I plan to use it...but for those interested in info on it, Treonauts had a story on it 1 year ago (!) saying it was in "final beta"...lol. (there are pics there too):

Link
    If I get more info I'll let you all know. Its all very vage... P1 is very alert on leaking info ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    RIM won it's case in the courts. The patent has been declared invalid by the patent office. It's all over but the shouting. And in any case RIM announced another "unpatented" method today.
    I don't think so.....didn't think case was being heard for another 2 weeks.....nothing posted on RIM site.....saw this tho

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/pda/

"Research in Motion has finally come clean - sort of - as to how it plans to side-step the effects of its infringement of NTP intellectual property and keep its Blackberry service in business. It will ship a software patch that converts Blackberries into what it calls "multi-mode" devices. New product will get the code automatically. If the US District Court bans the current, patent-infringing "standard mode" Blackberry, RIM will activate an alternative, non-infringing mode on all upgraded devices."

They did get a UK case thrown out with Ipro.

There's also this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...ring_date_set/

"Research in Motion (RIM) will appear in court on Friday, 24 February to hear if it must close its Blackberry push email service to US customers or, at the very least, make them implement an upgrade.

Judge James Spencer yesterday named the date at which he will hear arguments from RIM and patent holding company NTP over whether he should ban Blackberry for violating NTP's intellectual property, a verdict already reached at both District Court and Court of Appeals level."

This is also a good article:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=178600339
    I doubt there will be another 'major' firmware update. Palm would rather sell you a 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Not quite. First, there are a number of patents involved, and the patent office has overturned SOME of them. They are still reviewing the others, but haven't made a decision yet.

RIM has lost every round in the courts. Even after the patent office indicated it would probably invalidate many (and maybe all) of the patents, the court still upheld the patent infringement claim, and the Supreme Court refused to overrule that decision. So RIM could still have to change it's technology, even if all the patents are eventually overturned.

The other piece of the pie is that while changing the technology will likely keep RIM from being shut down, it won't shield them from very large damage awards for the time they've already infringed. But I suspect they can absorb those costs.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  20.    #20  
    So 1.20 was the last major update for the GSM models. Is 1.13a the last major update for Sprint? I wouldn't call 1.13a a major update...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast