Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I'd bet that we will not see ANY 700p or 650p with BB Connect any time soon (say, within 3-4 months). Don't forget... This has NEVER been about the software (which I'm told is horrible), but about getting the carriers to want to sell it...

Marc
    Does Chatter do push calendar? BB does.

p.s. It already is available and seems to work on all carriers.
    bump for an answer from Chatter
    They might have a different product that gives them a better return.

Marc
    Again, does Chatter do push calendar like BB does?
    No, Chatter doesn't do Calendar yet.

Marc
    Well that is a pretty big difference between BBC and Chatter then, not to mention the price of each. BB being free.

I'm sticking with Chatter for now, but I can see where BBC will be huge for many, many people.
    BB is free if your company already has an (expensive) BES and has spent the IT time to configure it for you....

Marc
    6 days and counting....well if you down under

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112420
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    BB is free if your company already has an (expensive) BES and has spent the IT time to configure it for you....

Marc
    We know. For every person with a 650 who works at a company who uses BES, the free BBC is a godsend. Push email and push calendars and full IT support from your company instead of having to muck about with IMAP servers and mail redirectors like with Chatter.

I don't work for a company like that so I'll stick with Chatter, but the release of BBC is HUGE for many, many 650 users and BB users who can now switch to the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    We know. For every person with a 650 who works at a company who uses BES, the free BBC is a godsend. Push email and push calendars and full IT support from your company instead of having to muck about with IMAP servers and mail redirectors like with Chatter.

I don't work for a company like that so I'll stick with Chatter, but the release of BBC is HUGE for many, many 650 users and BB users who can now switch to the 650.
    Actually, it may not be as much of a godsend as people seem to think. IT does not have near the management capabilities with BBC as they do with straight BB devices. It also appears from reading on BB Forums, that the overall user experience is less than optimal. Also, I have hear rumors that there are a couple of carriers in the US that are not going to support BBC anyway, but that is strictly rumor.
    No offense to anyone, but it's very tiring to hear from other product vendors about how BBC is inferior. The simple fact is....not everyone has a choice. It's either lose the Treo and use a BB (yuck) or settle for less functionality with BBC. IMHO, the people in this category are going to do whatever they can to get BBC working.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    No offense to anyone, but it's very tiring to hear from other product vendors about how BBC is inferior. The simple fact is....not everyone has a choice. It's either lose the Treo and use a BB (yuck) or settle for less functionality with BBC. IMHO, the people in this category are going to do whatever they can to get BBC working.
    Exactly. BBC is huge. It's free and I believe that it works with all carriers. This is very big for Palm and for those who can now use the vastly superior 650 instead of the various BB devices which are all terribly limited as PDAs.
    GoodGuy- I wouldnt expect a response like that from anyone but a competitor of Blackberry. While your at it, why not just advertise your own company... Oh, thats right, you already have with your avatar and name.

Point is, you cant judge the overall experience of BBC from a few people who cant seem to get the service working. There are restrictions as mentioed by a few pros here that seem to be overlooked.

What most people commecnting on this fail to understand is we are using a version of BBC intended for Singapore... I am sure it is for this very reason Sprint, Cingular, and T-Mo havent released their own version.

I can honestly say the service is great. I am not a complete nerd when it somes to computers but it was fairly easy to setup and from last Wed since I installed the app, I have had 0 problems... Again, I am with Sprint and the others that seem to be having a problem are with other carriers.

For what its worth, it has given a new life to my 650. I had business connect, rredirected e-mail and all sort of band aid patches in place before this. Now, I have dependable push e-mail and calendar (contacts and tasks I can live without until I sync)

Quite frankly, I am surprised thiis thread hasnt exploded even more. I travel twice a week to Minneapolis from Seattle and cant tell you how many people have complained about their bulky Blackberry and the lack of functionality. In fact, some (about 1/3) were carrying treos AND a Blackberry. I reccomend those of us that have IT people that will cooperate give it a try.

GoodGuy- I hope the release of this software doesnt squash possible deals you guys had out there... I talked your service up for the past year with our IT dept and because most of the zombies accepted the BB for what it was worth, nothing ever changed...
    Last edited by dcopperfield; 04/22/2006 at 03:46 PM.
    dcopperfiled...I am not judging the experience based on what people are saying. I am basing it on what I personally have seen via a BB webinar. The fact is that there are plenty of people who will benefit from BBC in situations just like yoi point out where BB is the only corporately supported solution. I think, however, that RIM may end up canabalizing their core business, which is device sales. BBC will encourage people to get different devices, ie Treos, because of the additional functionality. From speakiung with BES admins, one of their biggest issues with GoodLink and other non-BB solutions is that they don't want what they perceive as a support headache of supporting multiple devices and multiple OS'. BBC encourages device choice (or at least it will as more devices are supported) among users.

As for the effect BBC has on outstanding deals, we have been hearing about it for over 2-years and there are people who have been waiting that long. Now that it is starting to trickle out, we have to wait for a US carrier to start supporting it before we can determine it's effect.
    It sounds like Sprint is already supporting it or at least not blocking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    It sounds like Sprint is already supporting it or at least not blocking it.
    Sprint can't block data traffic as Sprint sees data as data, ie, GoodLink data, BB Data, any data, is simply that, data. By supporting it, I mean making it available from Sprint. In other words, testing it against their ROM builds, etc. As I said, nothing concrete, strictly rumor, and I would not be surprised to see that rumor get quashed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Sprint can't block data traffic as Sprint sees data as data, ie, GoodLink data, BB Data, any data, is simply that, data.

Ummm.....simply not true. If Sprint, or any carrier for that matter, chooses to block a certain kind of data, for example BB, GoodLink, IMAP, POP3, etc. it is a trivial matter for them.
    - Albert Einstein
    They can't (well, they don't anyway) block specific data, but they can block specific ports and/or IP protocols.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo

Ummm.....simply not true. If Sprint, or any carrier for that matter, chooses to block a certain kind of data, for example BB, GoodLink, IMAP, POP3, etc. it is a trivial matter for them.
    They cannot block data. They could, technically, block ports or certain IP addresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    They cannot block data. They could, technically, block ports or certain IP addresses.
    Which is what we're talking about, correct? Blocking BB "data" would be accomplished by blocking the necessary port. Same is true for other services.
    - Albert Einstein
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast