Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Fantastic for you. If you have no need for BB connect....don't get it or use it. Enjoy Chatter. Happy that works for you. But....accept the fact that SOME PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. They cannot "foget BB COnnect. Chatter DOES NOT "do it all"....for everyone.

Why is this concept so difficult to grasp for some folks?

I don't mean to flame, but EVERY SINGLE TIME BB Connect is mentioned, a bunch of people feel the need to spout about how useless it is (or will be?) because of Chatter or Good. It serves a different need. Period.

this is because people have never worked for a company large enough to have a bb server, exchange, corp email with vpns, firewalls, etc.
    Check out www.treonauts.com

It seems Andrew has gotten ahold of the application and is reporting that it is ready for release, just waiting for the official announcement. Lots of screenshots.
    Ed Colligan stated tin yestrday's tel/con that the Palm OS BlackBerry connect email software "is completed and is currently pending carrier certification".
    I wish they'd get off their @$$es and release it already. My current thinking is that they will not certify it for the 650, even though it has been shown to work, but they will instead force users to upgrade to the 700x in order to gain that functionality....which stinks. Unlike most people here, the 700 doesn't really seem like an much of an upgrade to me. Faster data, which is not available everywhere and costs more....ehhh, big deal. But if I am forced to buy a new device to get BBC, I'll probably do it as soon as it's available.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    http://palmsource.com/palmos/mailblackberry.html

The Palmsource BB Connect page is gone.....

This is either very good, or very bad for those of us patiently waiting.
    I don't think we'll ever see it on the T650.

Marc
    Anyone care to wager that the BB Connect certification process will be done around the same time as the 700p's release?

Hmmm...the implications, the implications...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I don't think we'll ever see it on the T650.

Marc
    I respectfully disagree. Actually, as mentioned by wballz33, you can see it on a 650 here:
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/blackberry_conn.html

Here's what I wonder, however: I have source in Palm that confirms what I read elsewhere, such as here:
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=5788
    "currently being carrier tested." Andrew's Treo on treonauts is an unlocked GSM. So, who is going to release BB Connect for unlocked GSM? I spoke with our business partner in Cingular and he said that as far as he knew, they were not going to release BB Connect for Palm, but keep Goodlink as their preferred solution. They did recently release BB Connect for the new Nokia phone.

As far as BB Connect goes, the ONLY reason I want it is my company uses Lotus Notes for email and the only IT blessed solution for mobile email is Blackberry.
    So here is some undisputed news. BB Connect officially exists for the Treo 650 and is released:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060412/20060411006154.html?.v=1
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyw
    So here is some undisputed news. BB Connect officially exists for the Treo 650 and is released:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060412/20060411006154.html?.v=1
    Thanks for the link. I guess it isn't gonna be long now until other carriers start to release it. I still can't help but wonder if it's going to be released for the first time in the US around the same time the 700p comes out. I'm guessing that the 700p is going to have BB Connect integration right out of the box.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I'd bet that we will not see ANY 700p or 650p with BB Connect any time soon (say, within 3-4 months). Don't forget... This has NEVER been about the software (which I'm told is horrible), but about getting the carriers to want to sell it...

Marc
    Marc - is there a 650w out there somewhere I don't know about? Hahahahaha

You're probably right. I'm just making semi-uneducated guesses. I'm sure I'll stick with Chatter regardless(I HATE the idea of going back to Versafail).

Also, why would carriers NOT want to sell it?
    They take a bigger % than, for example, Good.

Marc
    I don't understand why RIM can't sell it or provide it to their customers themselves rather than rely on just the carriers. Annoying.

Marc, i'm sure the software quality is not as good as say Chatter, but it's all about the ability it (theoretically) provides...it has to be better than the current alternative (nothing).
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    I don't understand why RIM can't sell it or provide it to their customers themselves rather than rely on just the carriers. Annoying.
    Obviously a bit biased in my opinion of BBC, but I think I can provide a bit of insight into why they have to rely on the carrier. When RIM has complete, end-to-end control of the solution, from the ROM to the UI, it is very simple to integrate changes, new features, etc. However, when they have no control outside of the app, they are dependent on the carriers and device manufacturers. Each carrier's ROM has subtle (and some not so subtle) differences. Combine that with the fact that BBC is using the Versamail interface and that the carrier has to install it on the device with their standard load, it makes it much more difficult.
    Finally, a real indication that this is more than vaporware.

http://www.blackberry.com/news/press..._2006-01.shtml
    I gave my Treo 650 to my wife because my company gave me a Blackberry, but I would love to get back on the Treo if this becomes available in the US. Does anyone know what takes to use Blackberry Connect if it were supported by the US carriers? I mean, could I get the Blackberry Connect software installed on my Treo then pop the sim card from my Blackberry and be up and running? I'm sure it isn't as simple as that. Would anyone know what it takes to get it up and running? I know nothing of what my company does to get it to work only that it runs on an Enterprise Server for Outlook emails and calendar/notes/task syncing.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I would like to know what BB Connect is going to do to the battery? Is it going to be a drain, not at all, or some where in between..... just curious
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I would like to know what BB Connect is going to do to the battery? Is it going to be a drain, not at all, or some where in between..... just curious
    There's a user over on blackerryforums.com who has it up and running on a Cingular Treo 650. He's going to post results as he gets them.
    elbastardocalvo
    My results so far:

No real noticible drain on the battery....Seems to keep a good chrge throughout the day

So far, no missed calls... I dont know how the software does it but I never see it "connect", just the occasional green arrows.

The service is really smooth as I have been a Sprint Business connection user for the past two years and keeping a second laptop up just to handle e-mail was areal pain.
    Everything is seamless so far with this release... My e-mails are immediately sent and I have been receving e-mails on my phone before they even hit my inbox on Outlook.

I have Outlook 2003... Anyone get this to work with Outlook XP?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast