1.    #1  
    For those of you who have used the proclip mount, I have a couple questions:

Is it made of metal or plastic?

Is it specific to the vehicle?

Is it fitted for a specific place in the vehicle?

Do the mounting hole line up with anything in pparticular or is it supposed to sick on?

I only ask because I may try to make one from a piece of metal before throwing down $30, unless there is something really special about a ProClip.
    The problem I see with Pro Clip mount it's car specific, so if you change cars alot it may not be worth it. A solution to that is to get Proclip's universal adjustable swivel one, which if say you switch to another phone you could adjust the holder and still use it. Also if you switch cars you can still use it.

Forgot to add the adjustable one is very accommodating to skin cases unlike the regular one.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 02/09/2006 at 08:25 AM.
    I agree with vikingjunior about switching cars and the ProClip mount.

Regarding the questions:
    I don't know if it is metal or plastic (can't remember). However, it seems like metal as it is extremely hard and solid.

Yes, they are vehicle specifc. I don't know how many mounts they sell, but surely one mount works on a variety of cars - you just need to check first. I should add that the fit of the mount is so tight that you probably would not want to move the mount from car-to-car.

Yes, they are fitted for a specific place in the vehicle.

The mounting plate is a number of pre-drilled holes in which to afix the device holder with screws.

$30 is not chump-change but depending on how valuable your time is, you will certainly spend more than $30 in manpower hours creating your own bracket that is as stable as the ProClip.
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141
    Is it made of metal or plastic?
    The part with the mounting plate (w/ the holes) is definitely plastic plastic, the rest, can't tell, may be plastic or metal with plastic dip.

Is it specific to the vehicle?
    Yes at least within range of vehicles.....The one for he GMC Envoy for example which I have probbaly fits a range of GM cars.

Is it fitted for a specific place in the vehicle?
    Yes, look at the pictures on the site and the ones I gave you in other thread.

Do the mounting hole line up with anything in particular or is it supposed to sick on?
    As indcated in other thread, I had to drill the holes (Dremel) to match the Seidio mounting plate.

I only ask because I may try to make one from a piece of metal before throwing down $30, unless there is something really special about a ProClip.
    With access to metal shop, my guess is I could make one in about 8 or 9 hours.

Tolerances are key. The Proclip snaps in place and if you off a mm or 2 it's not going to work.
    the one they sold me for my old Honda was a C-shaped piece of plastic that you had to wedge into the heating vent. it seemed to fit for a few weeks and then it became pretty useless, snapping out all the time. eventually i trashed that bracket -- but kept the Treo mount, which does hold the phone snugly but not too, and has a ball/socket joint that allows for angling/rotation.

i wound up getting a mount from a company called Pro-Fit, which wasn't a mount so much as a plate with a bunch of holes, designed to fasten to the interior of the radio well. works for me, and the ProClip caddy screw-holes lined up, too. if that's what you have in mind, you could probably drill out your own plate very easily indeed.
    I am a very happy proclip user. I recently replaced the 2-faced tape on my brackets. I got some heavy duty 2-faced tape from 3M that is holding everything in place.

I use the ipod holder for my 650 which fits nicely and keeps the treo in its case. I really like the position of my set up which is just to the right of the steer wheel in the middle of the dash. This location makes it very easy to dial calls or scan an email.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    I am a very happy proclip user. I recently replaced the 2-faced tape on my brackets. I got some heavy duty 2-faced tape from 3M that is holding everything in place.

I use the ipod holder for my 650 which fits nicely and keeps the treo in its case. I really like the position of my set up which is just to the right of the steer wheel in the middle of the dash. This location makes it very easy to dial calls or scan an email.

Is that holder the adjustable one with swivel as I have one on order and when I spoke with Pro Clip they said the 650 leans back a little in the holder, doesn't sit upright.