1.    #1  
    What are the best applications for the treo 650 (in your opinion)...what do they do..and where can they be found? I got my treo about a week ago and I was looking forward to getting new apps to set it apart from ordinary phones (which it already is)..and I came to realize there are SOO many apps that I don't know which to get! My 1 gig SD card is empty!
    List apps that you have!

So far I have:
    Ringo Pro
    Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    Voice Launcher
    VeriChat
    Last edited by vipa1887; 02/08/2006 at 10:23 PM.
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

I have...

Butler: a lot of nifty utilities that make your 650 A LOT more useful
    Agendus Pro (10): Much better PIM software than the standard calander/contacts/to-do etc.
    AcidSolitaire: The most addicting game known to man.
    VolumeCare: To raise the volume levels so i can actually hear the people im talking to.
    DirAssist(free): Really cool app that finds any business or residential # and gives me their address.
    KeyCaps650(free): Much better way of using the keyboard!
    BackupMan: Great backup utility
    zLauncher: A really really great looking launcher with a TON of features!
    NotifyThem(free): Sends a SMS message to specified people at a specified time. Great for wishing people a happy bday!
    Chatter: Great e-mail client with PUSH technology.
    Verichat: Very nice IM client (AOL/MSN/ICQ/etc)
    RadioState(free): Turns on phone after reset if phone was originally on beforehand.

There are a bunch more, but im too lazy to type anymore. Other people will fill my gaps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000
    I have...

Butler: a lot of nifty utilities that make your 650 A LOT more useful
    Agendus Pro (10): Much better PIM software than the standard calander/contacts/to-do etc.
    AcidSolitaire: The most addicting game known to man.
    VolumeCare: To raise the volume levels so i can actually hear the people im talking to.
    DirAssist(free): Really cool app that finds any business or residential # and gives me their address.
    KeyCaps650(free): Much better way of using the keyboard!
    BackupMan: Great backup utility
    zLauncher: A really really great looking launcher with a TON of features!
    NotifyThem(free): Sends a SMS message to specified people at a specified time. Great for wishing people a happy bday!
    Chatter: Great e-mail client with PUSH technology.
    Verichat: Very nice IM client (AOL/MSN/ICQ/etc)
    RadioState(free): Turns on phone after reset if phone was originally on beforehand.

There are a bunch more, but im too lazy to type anymore. Other people will fill my gaps...

notify them. i remmeber for a long time a thread where that was being developed. it seemed like it wasn't gonna happen. so you have it? it works? where can i get it?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  4.    #4  
    omg is it possible to have navigation on the treo 650?! i never knew that...take a look: http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...145&Language=4 ...has anyone used it?

hmm it looks like its for european countries...can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by vipa1887; 02/08/2006 at 11:00 PM.
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    notify them. i remmeber for a long time a thread where that was being developed. it seemed like it wasn't gonna happen. so you have it? it works? where can i get it?
    heh, its a simple program, but works great!! Remember to install it to RAM and not the card...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by vipa1887
    omg is it possible to have navigation on the treo 650?! i never knew that...take a look: http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...145&Language=4 ...has anyone used it?

hmm it looks like its for european countries...can anyone confirm?
    I was hooked on GPS on my old Compaq IPAQ, so I waited until I found a GPS that worked with the Treo650. TomTom was the only program available, so I took the plunge. It's been a year now, and for me, this is still the single best application that I've ever used on a PDA. Curiously, my old GPS software, Pocket Co-Pilot, based in New Jersey (where I live), had less accurate maps than TomTom, which is based in Europe. Co-Pilot, despite constantly requiring $50 and $100 for software updates, was constantly sending me down the wrong way on one-way streets (I have family in New York City, where there are a lot of one-way streets). I find that ridiculous. Although I found the software on Co-Pilot had better functionality, at the end of the day, it's really all about the maps and the real-time navigation. Bells and whistles are less important.
    Never had that problem with TomTom. Maps can be loaded by state or US region. I have the northeast from Maine to Virginia, which takes up about 300 megs on my card. When I travel for business to a foreign city, I just load the extra state, punch in the address of the hotel, stick the bluetooth receiver on the dash of the rental car, and just drive away, without ever opening a map. This is in a city that I've never visited before!
    One thing that I would note: The link mentioned above does not include the Bluetooth receiver. That adds about $100 to the price. Also, the software includes both Palm and Windows installation programs. The license allows you to install on two devices. I'm considering moving to the PPC-6700 (sorry Palm folks), but will wait until TomTom confirms compatability. As far as multitasking, TomTom's last software update (which cost me only $5 shipping), added a feature that interrupts the program to receive a phone call, and returns you to the program, without missing a beat on the navigation, when you end the call. Unfortunately, while you're talking, you lose the navigation screen. That's the one multitasking feature that's moving me back to Windows Mobile. I want to be able to talk and navigate at the same time. The only other program that I've gotten to work in the background is PocketTunes. That plays fine while navigating (I turn off the driving directions). Oh, and Audible works in background, also. Hope this helps.

Larry.
    Last edited by larrynj4; 02/09/2006 at 04:57 AM.
    Callfilter - handle calls and sms
    takephone - ease of use
    funsms - ease of sm
    ringo pro - mp3 ringer
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    This question gets asked at least weekly.....hordes of threads on the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdboy
    Callfilter - handle calls and sms
    takephone - ease of use
    funsms - ease of sm
    ringo pro - mp3 ringer
    I don't get it, what's the use of funsms?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    All free:
    Keyshade
    KeyGTime+
    DirAsst
    Filez
    MyBible
    Java
    AlwaysOn
    Colorize
    SoftReset
    Snap

You Should be able to find all of them on MyTreo.net or freepalm.com.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by larrynj4
    I was hooked on GPS on my old Compaq IPAQ, so I waited until I found a GPS that worked with the Treo650. TomTom was the only program available, so I took the plunge. It's been a year now, and for me, this is still the single best application that I've ever used on a PDA. Curiously, my old GPS software, Pocket Co-Pilot, based in New Jersey (where I live), had less accurate maps than TomTom, which is based in Europe. Co-Pilot, despite constantly requiring $50 and $100 for software updates, was constantly sending me down the wrong way on one-way streets (I have family in New York City, where there are a lot of one-way streets). I find that ridiculous. Although I found the software on Co-Pilot had better functionality, at the end of the day, it's really all about the maps and the real-time navigation. Bells and whistles are less important.
    Never had that problem with TomTom. Maps can be loaded by state or US region. I have the northeast from Maine to Virginia, which takes up about 300 megs on my card. When I travel for business to a foreign city, I just load the extra state, punch in the address of the hotel, stick the bluetooth receiver on the dash of the rental car, and just drive away, without ever opening a map. This is in a city that I've never visited before!
    One thing that I would note: The link mentioned above does not include the Bluetooth receiver. That adds about $100 to the price. Also, the software includes both Palm and Windows installation programs. The license allows you to install on two devices. I'm considering moving to the PPC-6700 (sorry Palm folks), but will wait until TomTom confirms compatability. As far as multitasking, TomTom's last software update (which cost me only $5 shipping), added a feature that interrupts the program to receive a phone call, and returns you to the program, without missing a beat on the navigation, when you end the call. Unfortunately, while you're talking, you lose the navigation screen. That's the one multitasking feature that's moving me back to Windows Mobile. I want to be able to talk and navigate at the same time. The only other program that I've gotten to work in the background is PocketTunes. That plays fine while navigating (I turn off the driving directions). Oh, and Audible works in background, also. Hope this helps.

Larry.

thanks for your info..very helpful! i had a couple of more questions ..do you NEED the bluetooth adapter to use tomtom? i only have a treo 650..i dont have any other gps device..do i need somethin like that before i can navigate? or can i get navigation through my treo? how much data usage does it use? where can i find the maps?
    Last edited by vipa1887; 02/09/2006 at 03:19 PM.
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by vipa1887
    thanks for your info..very helpful! i had a couple of more questions ..(1) do you NEED the bluetooth adapter to use tomtom? i only have a treo 650..i dont have any other gps device..(2) do i need somethin like that before i can navigate? (3) or can i get navigation through my treo? (4) how much data usage does it use? (5) where can i find the maps?
    (1) no, in fact you may prefer not to sue one
    (2) yes, you need a GPS receiver, a way to link it with the treo (wire, BT or cradle) and software
    (3) Yes see above
    (4) none
    (5) supplied with software

See

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/725-1.htm
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/710-1.htm

Also search the forum on "GPS" and you will get quite an education.
  14.    #14  
    thanks dawg! saved me time/money!
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Just added Ringo and loving it.

Do I understand this correctly, once you load an mp3 ringer through it from the SD card, and then remove the card...it stays in the device and you can still use the ringtone?