1.    #1  
    ***ATTENTION***

Do to New RomTool:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107543

I have Retired this Post as of 02/24/2006.
    Refer to the Posts (from others to follow) for updated info.

Recent Understanding Seems to Be:
    Add Nothing to Rom, except what is Absolutely Necessary.
    (Although Opinions Vary)

http://www.grack.com/blog/articles/...he-and-rom-size

And particularly:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/show...0&postcount=190

Understanding Brightens, or gets Clearer over Time.
    So, Even if the Current Understanding Changes, this Post Will Not.
    If anyone would like to pick-up where I left off, your completely welcome.

Thanks to All,
    for the assistance in sharing your experiences!

Fare Well,
    And Love Your Treo!

Do to Recent info (02/24/2006) The following is NOT a Prefered Method:

*For updated info please refer to 'Custom Rom - The Easy Way!' found here:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108580

Stole from Tem:
    Treocentral claims no responsibility for the information given here by me. I am not saying anyone should make a custom ROM. I am just explaining how one could make a quick change to a custom ROM. If you attempt to take information I am giving to make your own ROM you must decide that it is totally fine for you if you permanently ruin your Treo.
    Please read shadowmites instructions first and also along with my story to get the utmost clarity.
    http://shadowmite.com/romInstruct.html
    http://shadowmite.com/roms.html

If Tem asks me to,
    I'll edit.

If you already have the Latest Firmware, there’s an easy quick way to make modifications to your Custom Rom.

The following came from Tem instructions “Custom ROM by a dummy 4 dummies”

I edited it for just this purpose of making a quick update to a Rom that perhaps James Created and you just want to make a small modification to it.
    (Like take out the fatfs.prc and replace w/ fat32.prc)

1. Start by creating a New Folder called MYROM in “MY COMPUTER” in the C: drive.
    2. In that New Folder you created called MYROM put the PRC’s that you will be putting in your New Custom Rom. (which we will consider in a moment)
    3. In that New Folder you created called MYROM create 2 New Folders. Name one PALM, and the other ROM.
    4. In your new PALM folder create a New Folder Called LAUNCHER.
    5. Go into James’ Custom Rom PALM folder, click into it until you find a folder called something like “Treo650.ENA” Copy everything in that folder but the file called “RomUpdaterApp.prc” to your New Folder you created called ROM. (Not everything in the Treo650 folder is needed, but it is easier to tell you to just copy everything.)
    6. Take the “RomUpdaterApp.prc” and put it into the Folder you created called LAUNCHER.
    7. Now go get Shadowmites T650 Tool at http://shadowmite.com/roms.html and click "Get it here PC” to download shadowmites custom ROM tool.
    8. Save it in your New Folder called MYROM in “MY COMPUTER” in the C: drive and unzip it.
    9. Open the T650Tool folder (it may open on its own) and double click T650Rom, click run.
    10. In the left panel double click “C:“, double click MYROM folder, double click the ROM folder. Then in the middle panel click one time the file named ace-palmos.zip, then click the button on shadowmites tool named Open ROM Zip. It pulls all the files in the ROM into the center panel. Click the select all button on the top middle of the panel, this will put all the files in the right panel.
    11. Then go to the left panel and go back to the folder you created called MYROM by double clicking in the left panel the C:\ .
    12. Double click your MYROM folder. In there you should have the PRC’s you wanted to add.
    13. Double click the files in the far right panel that you wish to remove from your new custom ROM.
    14. Double click the PRC,s in the middle panel that you wish to add to your new custom ROM.
    ***KEEP ROM SIZE UNDER as Follows:
    1.20 APR 9.8MB
    1.20 ENA/LAP 8.4MB
    1.17 CNB/CNG 7.1MB
    1.13 Sprint 7.1MB

(See Apps that Work in Rom: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...1&postcount=75)
    15. Then click the button on the bottom left of shadowmites tool named Build it, When it says DONE YOU MAY EXIT, click exit which will create a folder called CustomROM. Within this folder is a file named ace-palmos.zip.md5 and a zip folder named ace-palmos. Copy both of these to your Folder named ROM. The computer will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing files, say Yes to all.

So now you should have In your MYROM folder a folder named PALM which you created and within that folder a folder named LAUNCHER which you created and within that folder a file named: “RomUpdaterApp.prc”

Also in Your MYROM folder you have a folder named ROM, and in that folder you should have at the very least:
    ace-palmos
    ace-htc-tpl
    ace-palmos-tpl
    ace-ipl-cvt2.md5
    ace-ipl-dvt.md5
    ace-palmos.zip.md5
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt2
    ace-spl.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt1.md5
    ace-htc-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-evt.md5
    ace-spl
    ace-ipl-evt
    ace-ipl-dvt
    ace-ipl-cvt1

16. Now take a empty SD card and put it in a card reader on your computer.
    17. Go to the MMC/SD drive and open the drive to view the contents of the card. Go copy the 2 Folders You created in the MYROM folder (PALM & ROM) to your SD card
    18. Back up Your Treo, Hard reset the Treo, plug Treo into Charger, and then place the SD card in the treo. It should pop-up with one Icon called “ROMUpdaterApp”, Tap it, You should see some text scroll.
    19. Go to the bottom of the text and type: “rev cvt2” (no quotes) and then hit the return key (enter key) on the treo keyboard. The screen will say something like run prl cvt2. Now type “ace” (no quotes) and then hit the return key (enter key) on the keyboard.
    20. It will go through a check-list to make sure all the needed files were there and not corrupt. If a file is corrupt or missing it won’t find the file and it will cancel (pause) the update. Then you take the card out, delete every thing and start all over or try to find the file or folder the treo said was missing. If the checklist finds everything it needs it runs it in like 10 seconds and then tells you to hard reset the treo.
    21. Take out the card and delete the palm and ROM folder off the Card
    22. Do a Restore, and that’s it, Fast and Easy!

If any of this is unclear,
    You might read thru Tems Post first.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ght=custom+rom
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/03/2006 at 01:35 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    this method may fail since the memory area is not repartitioned. Might work for just adding 1-2 small files but definitly OK if you are just swapping out FATFS for FAT32. Will fail if you add too much to the new ROM.

If you get an error message, do not reset or you will "brick" your Treo and have to use Shadowmite's recovery tool. Just hit the home key and try the other method if it fails.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    If you already have the Latest Firmware, there’s an easy quick way to make modifications to your Custom Rom.

The following came from Tem instructions “Custom ROM by a dummy 4 dummies”

I edited it for just this purpose of making a quick update to a Rom that perhaps James Created and you just want to make a small modification to it.
    (Like take out the fatfs.prc and replace w/ fat32.prc)

1. Start by creating a New Folder called MYROM in “MY COMPUTER” in the C: drive.
    2. In that New Folder you created called MYROM put the PRC’s that you will be putting in your New Custom Rom. (which we will consider in a moment)
    3. In that New Folder you created called MYROM create 2 New Folders. Name one PALM, and the other ROM.
    4. In your new PALM folder create a New Folder Called LAUNCHER.
    5. Go into James’ Custom Rom PALM folder, click into it until you find a folder called something like “Treo650.ENA” Copy everything in that folder but the file called “RomUpdaterApp.prc” to your New Folder you created called ROM. (Not everything in the Treo650 folder is needed, but it is easier to tell you to just copy everything.)
    6. Take the “RomUpdaterApp.prc” and put it into the Folder you created called LAUNCHER.
    7. Now go get Shadowmites T650 Tool at http://shadowmite.com/roms.html and click "Get it here PC” to download shadowmites custom ROM tool.
    8. Save it in your New Folder called MYROM in “MY COMPUTER” in the C: drive and unzip it.
    9. Open the T650Tool folder (it may open on its own) and double click T650Rom, click run.
    10. In the left panel double click “C:“, double click MYROM folder, double click the ROM folder. Then in the middle panel click one time the file named ace-palmos.zip, then click the button on shadowmites tool named Open ROM Zip. It pulls all the files in the ROM into the center panel. Click the select all button on the top middle of the panel, this will put all the files in the right panel.
    11. Then go to the left panel and go back to the folder you created called MYROM by double clicking in the left panel the C:\ .
    12. Double click your MYROM folder. In there you should have the PRC’s you wanted to add.
    13. Double click the files in the middle panel that you wish to add to your new custom ROM.
    14. Double click the files in the far right panel that you wish to remove from your new custom ROM.
    15. Then click the button on the bottom left of shadowmites tool named Build it, When it says DONE YOU MAY EXIT, click exit which will create a folder called CustomROM. Within this folder is a file named ace-palmos.zip.md5 and a zip folder named ace-palmos. Copy both of these to your Folder named ROM. The computer will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing files, say Yes to all.

So now you should have In your MYROM folder a folder named PALM which you created and within that folder a folder named LAUNCHER which you created and within that folder a file named: “RomUpdaterApp.prc”

Also in Your MYROM folder you have a folder named ROM, and in that folder you should have at the very least:
    ace-palmos
    ace-htc-tpl
    ace-palmos-tpl
    ace-ipl-cvt2.md5
    ace-ipl-dvt.md5
    ace-palmos.zip.md5
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt2
    ace-spl.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt1.md5
    ace-htc-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-evt.md5
    ace-spl
    ace-ipl-evt
    ace-ipl-dvt
    ace-ipl-cvt1

16. Now take a empty SD card and put it in a card reader on your computer.
    17. Go to the MMC/SD drive and open the drive to view the contents of the card. Go copy the 2 Folders You created in the MYROM folder (PALM & ROM) to your SD card
    18. Back up Your Treo, Hard reset the Treo, plug Treo into Charger, and then place the SD card in the treo. It should pop-up with one Icon called “ROMUpdaterApp”, Tap it, You should see some text scroll.
    19. Go to the bottom of the text and type: “rev cvt2” (no quotes) and then hit the return key (enter key) on the treo keyboard, it will say something like run prl cvt2. Now type “ace” (no quotes) and then hit the return key (enter key) on the keyboard
    20. It will go through a check-list to make sure all the needed files were there and not corrupt. If a file is corrupt or missing it won’t find the file and it will cancel (pause) the update. Then you take the card out, delete every thing and start all over or try to find the file or folder the treo said was missing. If the checklist finds everything it needs it runs it in like 10 seconds and then tells you to hard reset the treo.
    21. Take out the card and delete the palm and ROM folder off the Card
    22. Do a Restore, and that’s it, Fast and Easy!

If any of this is unclear,
    You might read thru Tems Post first.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ght=custom+rom
    AWESOME! I was thinking that I needed something that bridged Tem's great work to James's great work.

One quick question.

I do not carry my AC travel charger around with me. Can I have my 650 plugged into my USB charger cable (as long as it is 100%) battery charged and do the hard reset?

Thank you again and any info about this would be great!

Moppet52
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    this method may fail since the memory area is not repartitioned. Might work for just adding 1-2 small files but definitly OK if you are just swapping out FATFS for FAT32. Will fail if you add too much to the new ROM.

If you get an error message, do not reset or you will "brick" your Treo and have to use Shadowmite's recovery tool. Just hit the home key and try the other method if it fails.
    This method has worked over and over and over for me.
    You can add as much as you want, just keep the acepalmos.zip under 8mb.
    So I take James' stripped Rom, that's at a little less than 6mb, and add back in 2mb.
    The Official Rom w/ all Langs is over 8.1 mb.
    So how come it works for Tem?
    What exactly is he doing different except starting from scratch?
    I'm just using an already built custom, and picking up at Tem's instructions at about step #13.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    AWESOME! I was thinking that I needed something that bridged Tem's great work to James's great work.

One quick question.

I do not carry my AC travel charger around with me. Can I have my 650 plugged into my USB charger cable (as long as it is 100%) battery charged and do the hard reset?

Thank you again and any info about this would be great!

Moppet52
    I am not sure about usb.
    I think it only puts out about 5v.
    The AC Charger puts out 5.2v.
    I did it once w/ a car charger.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/08/2006 at 09:45 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    I am not sure about usb.
    D'OH!

Frankly, it probably makes more sense to be safe and just wait until I get home (sometime on Friday) to do this. Just so excited about the new possibilitied!
    I am not sure about usb.
    The AC Charger puts out 5.2v.
    Actually I realize that I do NOT have the latest firmware. And this whole firmware versus ROM update is a little confusing for me.

How can I update the firmware and use your procedure to create a Custom ROM. I have one of the Custom ROM's that James created (fully stripped) and I want to add some things to it.

Do I just use the Treo Updater with the ROM on the Palm web site first (essentially updating the firmware). Then use your procedure to create my Custom ROM? Would this make sense?

Thanks.

Moppet52
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    Actually I realize that I do NOT have the latest firmware. And this whole firmware versus ROM update is a little confusing for me.

How can I update the firmware and use your procedure to create a Custom ROM. I have one of the Custom ROM's that James created (fully stripped) and I want to add some things to it.

Do I just use the Treo Updater with the ROM on the Palm web site first (essentially updating the firmware). Then use your procedure to create my Custom ROM? Would this make sense?

Thanks.

Moppet52
    Yes, by all means, do the Official Update First.
    Run it all the way thru, as per Official instruction (no temp user)
    After it has fully completed, all resets and everything.
    Then you can use this method.
    Just call me Berd.
    <p>Thanks for the help and the info. This will be my first firmware and ROM update. I love Treocentral.</p>
    just used this method ...

fantastic outcome and very straightfwd ... just read it thru carefully ... no problems at all ....thanks to all who contributed ...

tahnks again ... greatly appreciated to all who put the work in on this ... especailly to those who never seem to sleep .....
    I followed the instuctions and it simply worked! This was my very first custom rom.
    Thanks a lot for your work.

Regards
    Sven
    where or how can i get one of those custom rom built by james? Please tell.... thanks
    no need, got it!

For people who don't, here.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564
    i reckon this should be made a sticky ... it is very helpful .... how does that get done ....
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    this method may fail since the memory area is not repartitioned.
    I have tried to find what 'memory area is not repartitioned' means.
    I have found only 2 mentions of this, both from you.
    How is this method different then Tems?
    Just call me Berd.
    I have tried to find what 'memory area is not repartitioned' means.
    I have found only 2 mentions of this, both from you.
    How is this method different then Tems?
    Different ROMs have different partition sizes. The first ROM tool. Shadomites, has a warning about ROM size, like 7.4 MB. Typically CDMA ROMS are smaller because they lack the extra languages.

Also, the new 1.20 ENA ROM is larger that previous ones, and the partition is larger still. The partition is increased in the update process obviously.

I am no expert in ROM customization, but I know I can get a smaller partition and larger DBcache by using Shadomites Sprint 1.03 restore ROM (with a CDMA radio) and then later upgrade to 1.20 ENA via The new USB ROM upgrade tool by MMastrac.

I hope this helps. MMastrac wrote up some info regarding Memory, it would be wise to read it... I guess I should soon.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks nono
    I just read that last night, and it makes perfect sense.
    But, if someone uses a Rom that has been stripped, like James, where the Rom partition is Hardcoded at over 8mb.
    Then for those who are not trying to take customs to a higher level. can use this method.
    If 2mb have been stripped, 2mb can be put back in.
    And they are still better off than just running the full stock official Rom
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/20/2006 at 09:35 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
  18.    #18  
    Updated Post #1
    as to Rom Sizes
    Just call me Berd.
    Hello TreoCentral,

A Mac user here, in need of assistance. I've been reading and reading the boards to try and get the right sequence down to do an SD install but there are always a few variations that seem to involve Windows that throw me off-course. I just need a little help to get confident enough to to do this. I have updated my firmware, downloaded the stripped ROM I want to install from James (thanks James!), backed up using BackupMan and have an SD card ready to rock.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I can just create the two folders on the card and place the various items in them needed, as explained so well up above, and, after a hard-reset, get this party started, right? That seems too easy though, and am certain that I am wrong about it. Partitioning and the size of the ROM updater seem to be important but I am not clear as to why, or how to fix it. Can someone give it to me in the simplest terms possible w/out all the Windows speak? Or guide me to the right posting that does? I apologize if it is easily found. I did not locate one that clearly laid out the method that would work without having to build my own custom ROM (don't need to thanks to James) or use Shadowmite's tools (they are PC only). I'd really love to get Real, Versa, and the tutorial and language files off my treo and reap the benefits of fat32 (though I don't completely comprehend what those benefits are) and fast blazer.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Best,

TR
    Last edited by Genetic Jack; 02/26/2006 at 02:06 PM.
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    OS X 10.4.9, Missing Sync 5.2
    do you know of a link where to download 1.13-apr rom? any infor is a great help
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics