1.    #1  
    Eqo is a service that lets you talk to your skype contacts. Anyone get it to work with the 650 (requires J2ME)?

www.eqo.com
    Last edited by marc1; 02/08/2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Choose your Treo model here, click on "More Info" and sign up to be notified when it will be available.

Unfrtunately, it looks like we will need to install J2ME.

Also, unfortunately, you cannot call other Skype users for free. This system uses SkypeOut credits to call from your computer to your mobile. And after the beta period, EQO will be charging for the service.

However, this may still be a useful option.

PS
    Mods please move to the "Communications" forum.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    It's available now for the 650 (as of April 6th??). I'm trying it now.

http://www.netstumbler.com/newswire/...m_to_palm_tre/

Also see:
    http://community.eqo.com/forum/impro...t_for_treo_650

One bit of strangeness so far ... it asks for your carrier, but Sprint isn't one of the options. But the carrier name just seems to be used to download the software to your Treo, and there are other ways to do this (the installation program does it anyhow, and there's another documented technique using your Treo's web browser).
    Last edited by jae_63; 04/11/2006 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added newswire announcement
    Bummer, I got it installed, but I now realize that it won't work on a Sprint 650 because Skype (using Skypeout credits) on your computer needs to call you on your phone while you still have an active data call.

Maybe there's a workaround, e.g. if the software drops its data connection immediately after telling Skype to call you. But then ending the Skype call properly (without wasting your SkypeOut credits) becomes problematic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63
    Bummer, I got it installed, but I now realize that it won't work on a Sprint 650 because Skype (using Skypeout credits) on your computer needs to call you on your phone while you still have an active data call.

Maybe there's a workaround, e.g. if the software drops its data connection immediately after telling Skype to call you. But then ending the Skype call properly (without wasting your SkypeOut credits) becomes problematic.
    Now this might explains the idea of all GSM carriers listed in setup process because otherwise (if CDMA was supported) all incoming calls to your mobile would be sent to voice mail while you are chatting on skype
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I've been testing it over the last few days:

I had a great call with a buddy in PA but when we tried the chat feature, I did not receive his replies although they showed up fine on my PC. I left a few comments on the EQO forums...

It's still beta for the Treo so we can expect fixes in the future...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    Now this might explains the idea of all GSM carriers listed in setup process because otherwise (if CDMA was supported) all incoming calls to your mobile would be sent to voice mail while you are chatting on skype

Right, although I didn't get that far since the Skype call just went to my Voicemail. Also see:
    http://community.eqo.com/forum/sprint_pcs
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    What we need is a real Skype client for Palm OS