1.    #1  
    Could those of you with cradles like the ones from Seidio, and those who have bluetooth units tell me why you chose what you did? My biggest concern for a cradle is not being able to take it to another vehicle easily, becasue I would probably hard wire it in to my car.

For those of you with bluetooth, would you go with the Globalsat BT-338 or the unit from Seidio, both have 17 hrs of battery life. Does not being able to use a bluetooth headset bother you?

Also could you please share your set-ups, whether you have them hardwired or not.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by biscuit141; 02/08/2006 at 11:25 AM.
    Went with bluetooth for mobility.

Son's getting into camping and I figured it might be useful out in the middle of no-where. That and I can take it out on the boat.

The cradle GPS recievers are nice if your primary use or exclusive use for GPS is in the car. If I didn't need the mobility, I would have gotten one of Seidios' cradles.

I have the Seidio BT GPS and am very impressed with it.
    I went with BT because
    - I wanted to "hardwire" it somewhere hidden in the car while also having it removable if i wanted to. Also, I didn't want fancy GPS cradle in plain sight

I went with the Holux 236 Slim because
    - Inorder to hardwire it, I needed a GPS unit with a hard power switch. the BT338 does not have that.
    - I guess maybe I dont take that many incoming calls while driving w/ the GPS.. so not being able to use the BT headset hasn't bothered me yet. I dont use my GPS all the time..
    The cradle does not fit skin cases.....................Also doesn't the slim one have an optional data cable, therefore not needing to utilize the BT
    I decided to use non-GPS Seidio cradle with BT GPS because of the mobility. I can just take the BT GPS and hop into any car and impress my colleagues with the Treo GPS/mapopolis functionality. However, when in my car, I want a cradle so I can charge+see the maps at eye level.
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141
    Could those of you with cradles like the ones from Seidio, and those who have bluetooth units tell me why you chose what you did? My biggest concern for a cradle is not being able to take it to another vehicle easily, becasue I would probably hard wire it in to my car.
    First:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/710-1.htm
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/725-1.htm

Second, for cradle option, it will depend on whether you have GSM or not as the situation is slightly different. The G4850S from Seidio is for non GSM phones and has a speaker which faces front. On GSM phones, the speaker causes an issue in that the use of the speaker negates the use of a BT headset so, assuming that's important to you, you'll want to use the G2350S .
    Even tho the Treo speaker faces the back, neither the reviewer in the above article or myself had any hearing issues even with radio on. Following quote from 2350 review above.

"When I got the G2350S, I was concerned about voice commands since it would be using the Treo's speaker. I am happy to report that voice commands were surprisingly clear and I could still hear them over my radio's volume as long as I wasn't listening to something like "Highway to Hell" (since you have to crank up the car stereo for that song)."

Ok, with that outta da way, we are back to the portable or wired decision. here's your choices:

Portable:

Upsides - 1) Can use on bike or even throw receiver in hatband when hiking with Treo in hand. 2) Easily transfers between vehicles. 4) One wire, your Treo charging cable.

Downsides - 1) You will get 17 hours outta da receiver but only 4 or so outta da Treo. So question is, can you be "Treoless" when you arrive at your destination ? Otherwise carry spare battery(ies) and / or charging cable (messy). 2) You lose BT functionality. When a call comes in, you have to close TT to talk and restart. TT is great int hat it will see where you Difficult to "see" screen w/o holder and if you use holder, why not use GPS cradle ?

Cradled:

Upsides - 1) Your Treo and receiver are always at full charge. 2) When a call comes in, TT goes into background, you answer it and TT restarts without any user intervention.,,,completely hands free 3) Easily transferable between vehicles. I use a ProClip mount in my car and the vent mount in my wife's. 4) Like portable, only one wire which charges Treo. Coiled wire less ontrusive than Treo charging wire. 5) No batteries to carry. 6) Treo fits in cradle w/ e-grips. 6) Perfect viewing angle to screen.

Downsides - 1) Can't use on bike or or when hiking.

I wrestled with the issue for a while but it was the charging, mounting and hands free call receive of the cradle that won me over. No reason why ya can't buy the cradle one and pick up a spare receiver for your hikes and bike rides.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/09/2006 at 10:22 AM.
    I'm thinking of getting the G2350S. How easy is it to move from one car to another? Does it come with a case? I rent cars a lot and want to be able to bring it with me. Is it really "portable" enough with the mount, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbergman
    I'm thinking of getting the G2350S. How easy is it to move from one car to another? Does it come with a case? I rent cars a lot and want to be able to bring it with me. Is it really "portable" enough with the mount, etc?

Darn good question. I'm in the same boat.
    I use it with a proclip mount which leaves the Seidio packaged windshield and vent mounts free.

Two car usage:

Recommended - Order an extra Locking plate ($1) from Seidio and get a Proclip mount for each car.

OK - Get Proclip for one car. IIRC you need anotehr licking plate if you gonna use the windshield mount that comes w/ teh Seidio kit...but not if yu use the vent mount....but get one anyway...hey it's a buck !

If Rental car in mix - Windshield mount probably best bet.....again w/ proclip in your car you gonna need 2nd locking plate for travel on windshield mount.

Locking plate is available on Seidio site from accessories drop down.

To take from car to car:

1. Unplug cord from ciggie lighter
    2. Grab cradle w/ Treo in it and cord hanging
    3. Lift up to take cradle off "slider"
    4. Walk away

There is no case but an old pocket calculator case or small mini camera belt pouch would serve.
    Not sure I understand exactly what the locking plate is. Whatever I use to mount in my car, wouldn't I just be able to take everything down and bring w/me in the rental car? Or does it not come off very easily once it's mounted into place?
    If you want to take everything with you, yes you can.....but....

1. Does your state allow anything to block the view of the windshield ? We have a law against it herein NY...people can get ticketed for having things hanging from their mirror ... or so I have been warned when pulled over ....being advised that anything that blocks driver's view of road is an "obstruction". But personally, law or no, I don't want my treo up on the windshield. I have it mounted at 3 oclcok , 2" to the right of my steering wheel.....I can access it and make screen taps w/o removing hands from wheel. A lot more convenient than recing over the wheel up onto the dashboard for the windshield mount.

2. A second locking plate is needed if you wanna have two mounts. The locking plate is the thing with the 4 screws thru it in the proclip image below

3. The vent mount ain't very useful if your vents are adjustable type.....weight of Treo makes it rotate downwards.

See photos attached of cradle and proclip mount.

It is a lot more convenient to tap screen on an incoming call , moving fonger 2", than it is to reach up to windshield or recah up to my ear for headset button.....then when call over I can relaunch TT w/o taking hand off wheel by placing favorite for TT on phone screen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for all the replies....

This is a very timely and informative thread for me as well b/c I'm also shopping for a gps setup for my Treo...

I personally want to get a BT GPS b/c I want to be able to use the GPS receiver with not only my Treo but also my Axim x50v PPC on occasion in addition to my laptop. Thus, if you have multiple devices to use with the GPS reciever, than BT is probably the best option. However I still have a couple questions that I wonder if ya'll can help me with:

1. What is the best BT GPS receiver than can work via both BT or hardwired? I want to be able to connect the gps receiver via cable to my laptop as option
    2. What is the best carkit with external mic and speakerphone?

I want to be able to have an option to connect the gps receiver via either BT or cable (to my notebook). I know that may be kinda old skool, but I'ld like to have that option. I was looking at the RoyalTek 2010, but I'm not certain if that has this kind of option?

Also, I still want a nice carkit without integrated gps that has builtin audio out, and mic etc. I'm try to decide between the Seidio G4100M and G4500M. The only difference I can figure out betweent the two is the handfree integrated speaker vol control? Can anyone comment on this and wether it's worth it? I already have a proclip mount but not really like it anymore...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    G-Magic:

I don't recall what Treo you have but remember that if it's GSM, an added speaker phone kills the BT Headset option. A receive that could:

1. Plug into a cradle slot
    2. Work with a cable OR BT

would be very very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    G-Magic:

I don't recall what Treo you have but remember that if it's GSM, an added speaker phone kills the BT Headset option. A receive that could:

1. Plug into a cradle slot
    2. Work with a cable OR BT

would be very very cool.

I have a Sprint 650, so luckily I don't think I will have the speakerphone issue.

Also, I know Delorme has both wired and BT gps receiver options, but doesn't seem to have one that supports both...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1758725,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage.....This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone."
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    See photos attached of cradle and proclip mount.
    I just received my Seidio 4500 holder and the ProClip mount. Mine didn't come with any screws and the holes don't line up. I assume you drilled your own holes?

Thanks-
    Jason
    Yup, drilled my own holes...bought screws at hardware store....bring mounts with you to select best depth.