1.    #1  
    Does anybody know if it's possible to use the phone's built in mic with a pair of standard headphones?

I listen to music in my car from my Treo 650 through a tape adapter. When calls come in, music stops and I can hear the caller through the speakers (very cool). But they can't hear me because it's expecting an external mic (not cool). Is there a hack to just tell the phone to use the build in mic?

Thanks!
    Yes. When I use regular headphones if a call comes in I get the callers voice in stereo, and the phone uses the regular internal mic so they can hear me.

You may have an issue with feedback or distance from the mic when using the car kit. That may be why callers can't hear you. Normally they should be able to if you were using a regular pair of stereo headphones.
  3.    #3  
    After getting your post here's where I'm at:

Callers *can* hear me talking through my phone's mic when I have standard stereo headphones plugged in. I'm using the "Seidio Stereo Adapter" with a standard set of (non mic) headphones.

But callers *can not* hear me talking when I try to talk/yell into my phone's mic with the audio being played through my car stereo. I'm using the same "Seidio Stereo Adapter" as above with a standard cassette input adapter (even with volume turned down really low).

Are there any settings on the phone I can tweak? I have volumecare installed. Any ideas?
    I use an Insten adapter from this thread that works great. It's only $3.99

http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?t=102211
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnnel
    After getting your post here's where I'm at:

Callers *can* hear me talking through my phone's mic when I have standard stereo headphones plugged in. I'm using the "Seidio Stereo Adapter" with a standard set of (non mic) headphones.

But callers *can not* hear me talking when I try to talk/yell into my phone's mic with the audio being played through my car stereo. I'm using the same "Seidio Stereo Adapter" as above with a standard cassette input adapter (even with volume turned down really low).

Are there any settings on the phone I can tweak? I have volumecare installed. Any ideas?
    Some tape adapters don't work for "hands free" operation because the impedance is too high. The Treo thinks that you are using something else (not sure what)

The impedance is low enough for stereo output (<1000 ohms), but not low enough for internal mic use (< 500 ohms).

the seidio impedance adapter should fix it, or you can take apart your cassette adapter and fix it.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    I agree with nonobeez, your headphone impedance is the issue. Do a search on impedance issues and speakerphone and you'll find about 3 or 4 threads by me trying to get this to work and how I made some work arounds. For walking around purposes most of them won't work for you because it involves splitters and such but take a look so you better understand why it's not working now.

TS
    Try using speakerphone. I used to use do that with my 600. I would hear callers through my car stereo and callers would hear me through the mic on the Treo.
  8.    #8  
    You guys rock. Thanks for all the help.