Page 1 of 46 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

Shadow has gotten the FAT32 (presumably from 700P) to work on the 650. It's not simple..you need to do a custom rom. Use the T650 tool on shadowmite's site and replace the FATFS.PRC file in rom with the FAT32.PRC file I've attached. The file is from shadowmite.com but I don't see it linked anywhere.

T650 tool at shadowmite.com

Please notify if any information is incorrect!
    -G
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Holy cow! Did you tried it on a 4GB card? Or just a regular card formated to fat32?

How to you format the SD card to fat32? I want to try it on my digicam first.
    Can you send a link to the post where Shadowmite indicates that he got this working? I searched shadowmite.com and could not find a reference. Thanks.
    That would be because I haven't stated it's completely working. I sent links and info to 10 people to test it. But I will admit it appears to be working great. Make sure to run VFSMark BEFORE and AFTER. Let us know the results. I don't have my before, but my after is 772.
    Also, before we get carried away thinking this is purely a result of the 700p leak, this can be considered a modified lifedrive file as well. Same thing.
    Point your favorite irc client to irc://shadowmite.com/3399 and go to channel #shadowmite
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Very cool! Thanks Shadow.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Hi Shadowmite,

Will this help recognize my 64Mb in my Treo 650 ???? or is there something for that still in the works ?? God Bless.
    OK. So with this new mod, what would be the real life advantages and disadvantages in using this process?

M
    How about losing a 4GB worth of data, MP3s, etc. when your SD card pops out?
    Well, I've just finished building a custom rom out of the Sprint 1.13a update with Shadowmite's fat32 support file, and it seems to work like a champ. I've only had time to test a FAT16 formatted 2GB SD card, but it that seems to work great. I'll reformat it FAT32 and test it that way as soon as I can, but in the meantime here's a minor benchmark comparison using VFSMark:

Old FATFS driver VFSMark: 685
    New FAT32 driver VFSMark: 1199

Sweet....
    Works with my 1 GB card formatted as FAT32
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Okay - this is way cool.

I love smart people!

Now, if you can figure out how to get a BT stack so I can use my headset and accept calls while maintaining my GPS link to TomTom I'd be thrilled.

Sorry that I was carried away in my assumptions...
    Quote Originally Posted by slinger
    ... in the meantime here's a minor benchmark comparison using VFSMark:

Old FATFS driver VFSMark: 685
    New FAT32 driver VFSMark: 1199

Sweet....
    Do we have any evidence that this is a real speedup and not just a flaw in the VFSMark program? I don't think I'll have a 4GB card for a while, but it might be worth doing the update just to get the extra speed with my 1GB card.

Shadowmite... it's been said before, but you guys are amazing. I am shocked and astonished that Palm hasn't hired your whole group with fat salaries and commensurate NDAs.
    This is anecdotal but programs absolutely load more quickly from the card with the FAT32.
    Palm is in the buisness of making things easy and straight forward for it's own tech support group. they don't want to overly complicate things. I'm sure they have people who could do everything we have done. It's just not in the companies best interest to do those things.

Then again, I've always wondered why they don't start a "experimental" group which helps out the community with technology details, yet specifically requires you to give up your technical support from them to use it. Thus they would loose nothing, and mostly gain a great amount of innovation. But alas, I'm sure they have their reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    Do we have any evidence that this is a real speedup and not just a flaw in the VFSMark program? I don't think I'll have a 4GB card for a while, but it might be worth doing the update just to get the extra speed with my 1GB card.

Shadowmite... it's been said before, but you guys are amazing. I am shocked and astonished that Palm hasn't hired your whole group with fat salaries and commensurate NDAs.
    Whoa!! Talk about mixed emotions. Shadowmite at Palm would be wonderful. Just think of what come out of there. Shadowmite gagged by an NDA is absolutely terrifying.
    FATFS w/1gb card formatted as FAT w/data: 467
    FAT32 w/1gb card formatted as FAT w/data: 786
    FAT32 w/1gb card formatted as FAT32 and data reloaded: 755 (after reset, 757).

I know it's a small difference, but why lower w/FAT32?
    OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    How about losing a 4GB worth of data, MP3s, etc. when your SD card pops out?

Or how about when you have two 2GB sd card just crap out on you randomly!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106439

But seriously, I would REALLY love to see some one try a 4GB card with this new FAT driver to confirm the support for higher capacities...

Also, is there any way possible to use this driver without creating a custom rom?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 46 12345611 ... LastLast