Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546 LastLast
    Hot sync cable is unattached when i do the soft reset. The ROMTool is communicating well with tha Treo. Upload and download was successful. It says, upload is completed. Checked FAT32, and its there. However, when i do soft reset, it goes back to bootload screen. I suspect that there is something wrong with some of the files i'm uploading. Is there a clean palm os available somewhere? I'm using an Unlocked GSM Palm Treo 650.
    Hi guys.
    Treo650,gsm unolcked,1.20-ENA,DB 255,etc.
    With Roomtool I modified the ROM, only changing the fatfs with fat32. No other changes.
    Everything worked flawless (thanks) except that the Treo does not recognize (nothing happens) the 4 gig SD card (150X 4GB OEM SAMSUNG SECURE DIGITAL SD CARD 4 GB, that I can regularly mount on the PC and Mac) while it reads regularly the 1 gig SD...
    I also tried a hard reset (everything stay as it should be...fat32,255)
    Not having access to another 4gig card, what can I try to solve the problem ?
    Thanks
    Forgot...
    Tried CradleCare with no result.
    Need help guys. Bootload v 0.24 is still remains unresolved. Those who have the solution pls share. Thanks.
    Hallo, I followed instructions and just upgraded my Treo 650, so now it works with FAT32 and my new 4GB card. BUT! There is a problem, GREAT problem with speed. Even in my PC with card reader, I can try another card reader on Monday. Here are results of speed testing: copying 13MB file onto card.

time format, cluster
    52s FAT32, 1k
    54s FAT32, 2k
    67s FAT32, 4k
    50s FAT32, 16k
    62s FAT32, 32k
    10s FAT16, 64k (!!!)

So the question is, if there is a way to make my Treo650 work with the last-line configuration, original FAT16, but 64k cluster. I tried it before I upgraded ROM to FAT32 and it didn't work, but maybe there is some updated driver for 64k cluster support..?

Please advice. I have there now FAT32 with 16k clusters, but copying a movie or something onto card is REALLY annoying. In fact, with this speed I can copy a movie during synchronization, the time would be the same.

Thank you,
    jimo
    Ok, I'm experimenting with RomTool and trying to get a nice, lean, stable custom ROM going on my unlocked GSM Treo 650.

As I've been tracking down files and reading up on procedures, I've noticed there are several versions of FAT32.prc floating around:

The one linked on post 1 of this thread:
    Size: 58,128 bytes
    MD5: 019A62DB695FEC8E6B12616FD9C63701

And the one included in the SDHC package referenced over in this other thread:
    Size: 58,224 bytes
    MD5: C66079E4F0E5EDD7790D1F80970FC398

Finally, there's the one from palmpowerups.com:
    Size: 58,024 bytes
    MD5: C299E9297C6EA44E1FCEEDD5598BE477

So, my question is, which should I use? Does anyone know of any functional differences?
    Last edited by spurdy; 08/05/2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added details for 3rd FAT32.prc variant.
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by spurdy View Post
    Ok, I'm experimenting with RomTool and trying to get a nice, lean, stable custom ROM going on my unlocked GSM Treo 650.

As I've been tracking down files and reading up on procedures, I've noticed there are several versions of FAT32.prc floating around:

So, my question is, which should I use? Does anyone know of any functional differences?
    FYI, I decided to go with the one in the SDHC package for now (since I also installed the SDHC slot driver, and figured it was most likely the best match in that case).

Everything's good so far, but I only have a 1GB standard SD card to experiment with at the moment. Works fine with FAT16 & FAT32 though. We'll see how things go when my 8GB SDHC card arrives. Here's keeping fingers crossed!

PS- Damn but the Treo 650 is cool! I ripped out all languages but English, removed RealPlayer, swapped in the FastMode Blazer, FAT32, and SDHC support. I love malleable, customizable technology! Huge thanks to everyone who contribues to make this stuff possible!
    Ok, I am not new to using a treo, but completely new to the idea of tinkering with the software of the treo(give me a soldering iron and I can do some nice mods to the hardware such as different lights and all). I read the files, and I know palm got rid of all the "hacked" ROMs, but I would like to be able to use a 4 gig card and tell my iPhone suffering **** boss to stuff that up his backside. I have the GSM Treo 650 firmware 1.71, software 1.20-ENA.

Can anyone point me towards a ROM file, or something like "Treo ROM hacking for dummies"? I see ROMs for Sprint, but not the unlocked version. Pardon my ignorance, but I do need a bit of education here.

Windows tinkering I can do. Treo ROMs, that is another story for now.

Thank you for any assistance.
    Last edited by Deceptitech; 08/07/2007 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deceptitech View Post
    Ok, I am not new to using a treo, but completely new to the idea of tinkering with the software of the treo(give me a soldering iron and I can do some nice mods to the hardware such as different lights and all). I read the files, and I know palm got rid of all the "hacked" ROMs, but I would like to be able to use a 4 gig card and tell my iPhone suffering **** boss to stuff that up his backside. I have the GSM Treo 650 firmware 1.71, software 1.20-ENA.

Can anyone point me towards a ROM file, or something like "Treo ROM hacking for dummies"? I see ROMs for Sprint, but not the unlocked version. Pardon my ignorance, but I do need a bit of education here.

Windows tinkering I can do. Treo ROMs, that is another story for now.

Thank you for any assistance.
    Luckily, all the files you need to accomplish your goal are readily available. You'll just need:
    1) The RomTool
    2) The (or at least a version of, see my post above) FAT32.prc file
    3) A sync cable or cradle with a built-in hotsync button that you can hold while pressing the Treo 650's reset button, to get into the bootloader

To get 4GB support (for non-SDHC, unstandardized cards) all you'll be doing is downloading a copy of your current ROM, removing the existing FATFS.prc file and adding in the FAT32.prc, then pushing the new image back to your Treo. Or you can go a bit further and also swap in a replacement SD card slot driver from the Treo 680 to add SDHC support for the new 4 and 8GB SDHC standard cards (backward compatibility for older/smaller cards is retained).

Read up on the RomTool to get the details. It's really quite well put together and fairly intuitive once you play around a little. Also, since it uses the bootloader, it seems pretty safe too. If you mess something up and get into a reboot loop situation (happened to me several times when initially experimenting), you can just get back to the bootloader and copy back in your original ROM image. Just do make a backup of your factory image and stash it somewhere safe before playing!

Oh, and I'd recommend setting aside some time. You'll likely be hard-resetting a lot, so there's some prep to do in establishing a good backup of your existing data first. It's not something to be rushed, but I'd say it's well worth it! (and, if you're a die hard geek/tinkerer like me, it'll actually make for an entertaining afternoon )
    I have the cradle kit as well as the cable, but I can't use them cause I use windows XP 64 bit edition.

What I am having an issue with, I have picked up a bit reading here, but is there a full file listing for the Unlocked GSM version as there is for CDMA as wonderfully documented by Shadowmite?

I would love to get rid of the following Apps:
    Blazer
    Versamail
    Quick Tour
    Welcome
    Real Player
    Calculator

And add in if possible:
    TCPMP
    Opera Mini(with the Java if possible)
    Ptunes 3.1.5(or the version that came with the TX I have)
    Resco Viewer
    Resco Explorer
    WI-FI(pipe dream, but I heard it can be done)
    Fat32 and SDHC support.

I know odds are not all are possible, but Just a wishing.

MjM
    Last edited by Deceptitech; 08/08/2007 at 02:43 AM.
    I have the cradle kit as well as the cable, but I can't use them cause I use windows XP 64 bit edition.

What I am having an issue with, I have picked up a bit reading here, but is there a full file listing for the Unlocked GSM version as there is for CDMA as wonderfully documented by Shadowmite?
    Well, there are spreadsheet lists posted, but they're not formatted quite as well as Shadomite's. Still, a lot of what is listed in Shadowmite's CDMA list also applies to GSM. Between his PDF, the spreadsheets, and looking through the files after you download your ROM it's pretty easy to locate what is safe/reasonable to be removing.

I would love to get rid of the following Apps:
    Blazer
    Versamail
    Quick Tour
    Welcome
    Real Player
    Calculator

And add in if possible:
    TCPMP
    Opera Mini(with the Java if possible)
    Ptunes 3.1.5(or the version that came with the TX I have)
    Resco Viewer
    Resco Explorer
    WI-FI(pipe dream, but I heard it can be done)
    Fat32 and SDHC support.

I know odds are not all are possible, but Just a wishing.

MjM
    I'm pretty sure Wi-Fi isn't workable, but the rest may well be. I'd also strongly advise pulling out language files you don't need. That alone saves you ~4MB of RAM (not NVFS space, that's determined by the ROM partition size, which can't be changed with the RomTool read here about that). You need to leave 7 files from one additional language in order for things to work smoothly on a hard reset, from what I gather.

Also, unless you really want/need apps to stick around after a hard reset (TCPMP, PTunes, etc.) you may want to just bring the ROM image down to the bare minimum. That'll maximize your available RAM once the Treo has booted up. That Grack.com post about how the ROM image relates to NVFS and RAM convinced me that paring down as much as possible was best, though I did put the fastmode Blazer in there. I've still got some trimming to do (tips and a few other small pieces I've yet to remove) but I'll reserve that tidying up for my next ROM modding session when I have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Hey all,

Shadow has gotten the FAT32 (presumably from 700P) to work on the 650. It's not simple..you need to do a custom rom. Use the T650 tool on shadowmite's site and replace the FATFS.PRC file in rom with the FAT32.PRC file I've attached. The file is from shadowmite.com but I don't see it linked anywhere.

T650 tool at shadowmite.com

Please notify if any information is incorrect!
    -G
    I updated (again) my 650 1.20 ENA rom and replace FatFS.PRC with FAT32.prc...everithing worked almost fine except....

1.- Card Info dosnīt work (it gets stuck and have to soft reset the Treo)
    2.- Filez "see" my 2Gb card as another "BUILTIN"!!!! Now I have 2 "BULTIN"!!! and no SD...
    3.- In ZLauncher the SD name itīs lost....
    4.- Butler refuse to play mp3 alarms form the SD

So I reverted the change.....

What I have done wrong? Any help please? (I have experience changing the ROM learned from thie very forum...thank you everyone )
    Hi again,
    Tried the file attached (donīt know where I get it from ) and it works!!!!

Donīt know why....but it works: D And now my 2gb Fat16 formatted SC Card flies

Thank you everyone!!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I did the custom ROM procedure on my Sprint Treo 650 and it has been rebooting over and over for more than an hour.

Is the phone "bricked?"
    Quote Originally Posted by arquillos View Post
    Hi again,
    Tried the file attached (donīt know where I get it from ) and it works!!!!

Donīt know why....but it works: D And now my 2gb Fat16 formatted SC Card flies

Thank you everyone!!!!!
    After two days of testing, Card Info doesnīt work And Filez -> Description of my SD doesnīt work too

Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzltyr View Post
    I did the custom ROM procedure on my Sprint Treo 650 and it has been rebooting over and over for more than an hour.

Is the phone "bricked?"
    No, try uploading the original Rom (backup you made before the changes) and you are gone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzltyr View Post

Is the phone "bricked?"
    No, try uploading the original Rom (backup you made before the changes) and you are gone...

Then review carefully any changes you make to the Rom and see if there is any mistake
    Thanks for the reply. I tried putting back the original but the laptop does not recognize the phone. I used four different USB slots. I rebooted the computer. I used two hot sync cables. I cannot get the phone and laptop to connect.

Some people suggest using an SD card and not the hot sync. The instructions for that are confusing as the speak of files and folders that I cannot locate.

Does anyone know what files should be on an SD card? I assume the ace-palmos.zip and the DCIM and PALM with Launcher and Start.prc. Anything else?
    HI Everyone, been following this thread for a while and decided to upgrade to the FAT32 file. I followed the directions and used the ROM tool. I dowloaded my ROM to the desktop of my computer. Then I deleted the old FAT file from the zip file. I put the FAT32 file in the same folder that the zipped ROM is in (could not get the FAT32 inside the zipped ROM file), then I uploaded the ROM. Now the phone just reboots. I am able to get back into the ROM TOOL without a problem but how do I get the phone from just looping in boot pergatory? I am an ***** and did not save the original FAT file. I have a Verizon Palm treo 650. HELP!!! I had seen my problem mentioned before but can't find it in the threads.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdecrist View Post
    HI Everyone, been following this thread for a while and decided to upgrade to the FAT32 file. I followed the directions and used the ROM tool. I dowloaded my ROM to the desktop of my computer. Then I deleted the old FAT file from the zip file. I put the FAT32 file in the same folder that the zipped ROM is in (could not get the FAT32 inside the zipped ROM file), then I uploaded the ROM. Now the phone just reboots. I am able to get back into the ROM TOOL without a problem but how do I get the phone from just looping in boot pergatory? I am an ***** and did not save the original FAT file. I have a Verizon Palm treo 650. HELP!!! I had seen my problem mentioned before but can't find it in the threads.

Thanks.
    You didn't do the upgrade correctly. If I am understanding you correctly it sounds like you've just removed the FAT driver and now your Treo has no file system driver at all.

I would advise re-downloading the ROM to your computer as an uncompressed image, just all the raw files in a folder (you should still be able to put the unit back into boot loader mode, even if you're in a reset loop). Then add the FAT32 driver to the folder and re-upload. At that point you should be good. The Rom Tool does all the zipping and MD5 hash creation necessary to package the ROM up correctly before uploading it to the phone. It knows what it's doing, so I find it easier and safer to do that.