Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243444546 LastLast
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=FrozenCode;1074485]I think the point of ROM is that it is Read Only Memory, therefore it has to be editted on a computer.

Clearly, I was up WAY too late last night when I posted that.
    Last edited by 4ster; 08/29/2006 at 01:42 PM.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    It happens!

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Just got a Ridata 4gb, 150x card. Formated first with my card reader, then did it in my Treo. Formatted and worked fine. Only thing is, when I transfer music from Yahoo music (MTP) through PocketTunes, it's much slower than with my older 2gb card. Must be the difference between fat and fat32.
    Okay, I re-formatted with 32k clusters. The transfer speed is 10-20x faster. Incredible really. Only lost a few mb of space on the card. You have to format these 4gb cards with 32k.
    From reading, is the portion to gain the use of the full 4GB simply exchanging the one [original] file for the FAT32.prc file?? I think I understand this has been expanded to included "other" things via "custom" Roms - which may not be necessary if all I want is to use a larger card??

what if I don't want to attempt the Rom stuff - Can I buy a 4GB Card w/the intent to only use 2GB...meaning having a 4GB card now but content to use the full 4GB capability on a future [capable] device?? thx. -g
    Quote Originally Posted by gdharvey View Post
    From reading, is the portion to gain the use of the full 4GB simply exchanging the one [original] file for the FAT32.prc file?? I think I understand this has been expanded to included "other" things via "custom" Roms - which may not be necessary if all I want is to use a larger card??

what if I don't want to attempt the Rom stuff - Can I buy a 4GB Card w/the intent to only use 2GB...meaning having a 4GB card now but content to use the full 4GB capability on a future [capable] device?? thx. -g

Yes, it will format in FAT but you will only be able to access 2gb of the 4.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Would it be possible to partition it, so you have a FAT partition and a FAT32 partition. That way (I would imagine) you could have ~2GB for the Treo and ~2GB for use elsewhere.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis

I've spent hours searching for this but only came close with a rom from 2005 cusomized in 5 levels.

Is there a VZW rom out there with fat32 available for download?

If stripped of some of the extras, even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ///dom View Post
    Card Info, FileZ, none of the programs I'm using see the card so I can't even perform a format using the Treo. I know my digicam uses a low-level format but I haven't been able to find such a formatting program that's compatible with the Palm Treo.
    Did you ever get your 1.04 verizon with fat32 rom to work with the adata 4gb card?
    Gentlemen:

I originally had a Kyocera 7135 and made custom roms with Bradyer Technologies tools.

Now I have a Verizon treo 650 updated to 1.04.

I have read a ton of post about custom roms, both here and Shadowmites forum. Most of the custom roms read about are for Sprint and other phones.

Is there anything special I need to know about to make a Custom Rom for my Verizon 650?

Thank you

rob
  10. bgh
    Hi everybody.

Just thought I'd post a simplified, comprehensive, ***** proof instruction list for the FAT32 upgrade process so that the next slightly computer literate person that reads this thread can do it more quickly and simply. The basic process is just replacing the FATFS file with FAT32. All the other stuff (mods to ROM applications, deleting languages, etc.) does not have to be done as well and you don't have to worry about the compatibility of ROM mods from others (Cingluar G or B, GSM, CDMA or whatever) though I may well try those someday to get rid of all the extraneous stuff in the ROM. This should work for any 650 on any network. All you are doing is replacing a file in the ROM.

I initially read all 41 pages of this thread to figure out how to do the FAT32 upgrade and while there seem to be many custom ROMS available and many ways to skin this cat what I found the easiest and most brainless way to do the FAT32 upgrade was to:

Download the ROM tool from grack.com which doesn't have very detailed instructions for people unfamiliar with these types of programs (like me) but works great once you grasp what you are trying to do.

Install the ROM tool (which required also downloading a mircosoft program that I can't find the name of now - but it totally guides you through the download and installation process if it isn't on your computer already).

Plug your Treo into the hotsync cable and connect it to you computer. Push and hold reset then the hotsync button as quickly as possible. Release the reset button and the rainbow bootloader screen should appear. Release the hotsync button. Three variations happen here: you get to the bootloader screen, you trigger a hotsync, or you just do a soft reset. The above instructions seemed to work most reliably.

Start the ROM tool program and let it talk with your treo. Once that is done, go to the "Download Rom" tab and download the "zip+md5" file from your phone (basically copying your rom onto your desktop - mine appeared as "ace-palmos" which I guess is the default). I saved a copy just in case I screwed something up.

Then unzip the "ace-palmos" file from your desktop, open it, delete FATFS and copy FAT32 into the file (downloaded FAT32 from one of the multiple times it is posted in this and other threads here). Close the ace-palmos file.

Tab over to "Upload Rom" and through the "rom source - select" window find your modified file. Hit "upload", the program does its thing and tells you when it's successfully done. Hint: the program generates a list in the bottom window as it compresses the files. Check that out when it's done to make sure that FATFS is gone and FAT32 is there. This took me a couple tries because I was trying to do all of this in the "Convert ROM Format" section. It kept putting FATFS back into the file. Just use the Download ROM and Upload ROM features.

Soft reset and check with Filez that FATFS is gone and FAT32 is there. I then formatted my Transcend 4gb (150x) SD card in my computer (defaults to FAT32 format because of its size and defaults the sector size as well). Stuck that in my Treo and went to card info and found: "28.0 KB Used, 3.8GB free of 3.8GB". Goodbye ipod and thank you treocentral and all the users here who have taken the time to figure this all out and create the programs to do it.

Hope that helps someone out who is wading through all the possibilities in this 41 page thread and simply wants to add FAT32 support to their Treo 650. Please let me know if I have missed any critical steps and thanks again to you all for being here and pioneering this process in the first place.

bgh
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    My only hangup is this:

It has been taking about 10 minutes at this stage: "Compressing __MMServers_SPCS.cpdb." How long should this take?

EDIT: It has been on this file for over 3 hours. I am starting to freak.
    Last edited by 4ster; 09/04/2006 at 07:38 PM.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    HURRAH!!!!! SUCCESS!!!!!

I was missing the last step of actually clicking on "Upload."

I can't believe how easy that was. Thank you BGH. This was exactly what myself (and many others) were looking for. WELL DONE!.

My 4GB Transcend is already on the way.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Nice Post BGH

Added it to my Thread:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108580
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 09/05/2006 at 11:52 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
  14. bgh
    Thanks. Glad it's helping. It really isn't a difficult thing to do once you know how to do it.

bgh
    BGH

Thank you so much. I had some time today to study your install guide.

I know I can now do it.

Again

Thank you

rob
    BGH

Thanks for condensing the thread into a set of instructions that realy work... and thanks to all who made this happen.

I've updated my Treo 650 with no glitches and am enjoying 3.8 GB of Transcend bliss.

The software that BGH couldn't remember is Microsoft .net Framework. You'll be prompted to the right Microsoft webpage for download when you try to run the ROM tool if .net Framework isn't already installed.
    Just a Reminder to all, that if your using 2GB or smaller, to format the card fat16. And if it's 4GB, to format Fat32 w/ 32k Cluster size.
    Huge Speed difference.
    Just call me Berd.
    Im stuck: Phone has bootload v 0.24 screen and Rom Tool says waiting on phone/phone not ready...did I miss something??? thanks..
    Try cleaning you connections.
    When you first hooked it up, did your pc say new hardware found, and then make you find the driver to install?
    Just call me Berd.
    I've tried (Rom Tool steps) several times but yes, I did notice the "new hardware" icon pop in the tray but it DID NOT ask for drivers - assume it found and everything was o.k. I have sync'd so the "Innodock" (only days old) appears fine..

each time I can get the boot load screen on the Treo (650); start the Rom Tool (gack.com), but it says the same thing - waiting on phone/phone not ready (in all the tab areas)
    Last edited by gdharvey; 09/12/2006 at 12:39 PM. Reason: clarification