Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Jelly
    Thank you jamesgangut for getting back to me! Now - the problem is that I suck a little bit and I'm not sure how to "use the rom tool"

I found this posting by you which looks like exactly what I may need.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564

However, I am not sure what to do with the zip file after I extract it. Also, I've read that I am supposed to save my current rom files first (which I don't know how to do) then replace a specific file? Or not...?

Sorry for making anyone on here read "Rom for Dummies"!

- KY Jelly
    Start here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

hi all, I'm so new to all this it makes my head spin, I have a tre650 and just bought an adata 4gb card but when I formatted it and placed it in it's only showing 2gb, I have no clue what to do, please help
    Quote Originally Posted by khat
    hi all, I'm so new to all this it makes my head spin, I have a tre650 and just bought an adata 4gb card but when I formatted it and placed it in it's only showing 2gb, I have no clue what to do, please help
    Basically, you need to remove a file called Fatfs.prc from your ROM and replace it in your ROM with a file called Fat32.prc.

The only, easy, way to do this is to use the new Rom Tool.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Well color me ignorant....

I read a post in another forum on this board about 4gb ADATA cards working so I ran out and bought one....only to find as Khat did that it only shows 2GB...

I'm way to much of a noob to trust myself with Rom Tool.....am I totally hosed?
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I ran out and purchased the same 4GB SD card as you did MVT but being that i forgot that the FAT16, or FAT as some call it, file system is limited to 2GB size. Therefore, any 4GB card or bigger will only show up at 2GB (1.8GB formatted). FAT32 file systems can go up to 2TB (terabytes) in size. It would seem that the fat32.prc file that shadowmite recommends to place in your ROM is simply changing the 650's SD file system from FAT to FAT32 therefore allowing it to read cards bigger than 2GB's. I have yet to try it as i just stumbled on this thread today at work but will definitely be experimenting when i get home. Seems like many users have tested it and have been successful. Simply put....if you take your time and carefully use the ROM tool...you won't be totally hosed
    I'll look forward to your step by step Rom Tool for dummies post in a few days.... ;-)
    Don't worry, I was actually scared too, but I took my time doing research and preparing for the updrade, and it worked fine. Though I had bad luck with AData 2GB , after I got SanDisk 2GB card it worked like a champ. Currently I have a Transcend 4GB SD card in it, and it works like a champ. Do understand that some applications you may move to the card don't expect anything over 2GB( or perhaps the file system is the cause ), and may be erratic at times. It just shows that they should have spent more time in development instead of assuming that the Treo would never be modified.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    I'll look forward to your step by step Rom Tool for dummies post in a few days.... ;-)
    No need to wait, read this thread and it will all be simple:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108580

Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    Currently I have a Transcend 4GB SD card in it, and it works like a champ.
    I have a Transcend 4GB SD card too, and it works very slow. Normal Hotsync with my 2GB Memorex Card last about 30 sec., with Transcend 4GB about 120 sec. I worked my ROM with the "old" method with shadowmites 650RomTool.
    I put the 4GB card aside and use my 2GB. It's also much, much faster in normal use on the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    No need to wait, read this thread and it will all be simple:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108580

I agree with ChasT. I used shadowmites tool and blew my treo away and was stuck in a reset loop for a while. I'm sure I did something wrong along the way though, since I wanted to exclude Realplayer, Versamail, and a few other things while adding FAT32 support. Needless to say shadowmites 650 restore tool which uses the original USB sync cable for the 650 works fine....after 3 hours of playing around and re-reading everything on these threads I finally saved my phone, my azz, and successfully placed the FAT32.prc into ROM. Everything is fine now. If you are scared with playing around with your existing ROM to "exclude" extra stuff than don't. Just follow the instructions below. I copied and paste this from a user who posted it in the above linked thread.

"I used your instructions to update my cingular treo 650 so I could use my new 4gb SD card and all worked fine. Thanks. I have a slight suggestion about your directions--try to be more simple. I read all of your links and other discussions about the process and thought that there was a large amount of work and actual programming to do which is not the case. Here is what I did:
    1. Downloaded the ROMtool and the Romtoolsetup.pdf.
    -http://discussion.treocentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11183
    -http://grack.com/romtool
    2. Expanded the ROMtool and the included Treo windows usb driver into the directory the Romtoolsetup.pdf told me to do.
    3. Reset my Palm while pushing the hotsync button to get to the boot loader rainbow screen and told Windows where the driver for the new device (the treo) was located.
    4. Followed the instructions of the Romtoolsetup.pdf on how to use the ROMtool to do 3 things:
    -backup my oemROM
    -tweak a version of the backup ROM (I merely removed the FATFS.PRC and put the FAT32.PRC in its place
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/a...achmentid=10808)
    -upload the customized ROM back into the phone

That was all there was to it. Simple.

I just wanted to point that out to folks who read more into this like I did.
    Now that I am confident that all we are doing here is taking out and replacing files from the ROM and not programming some kind of machine BIOS in the treo I'm going back to find the files that are unnecessary like the Welcome app and such like. Thanks again for showing us how to do this!"
    Hi guys. I just bought a Patriot 4GB SD card & after reading some posts I realize I haven't installed the FAT32 ROM yet. I tried using Shadowmite's Treo 650 Tool program, but I'm one of the few people that's running on Mac OS 10.3.9 (and I don't have Virtual PC, either). Is there another way for me to modify ROMs?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeluna
    Hi Shadowmite,

Will this help recognize my 64Mb in my Treo 650 ???? or is there something for that still in the works ?? God Bless.

That would be great!! Would love to see this happen!

OK, I'm tempted to try this FAT32 hack, but want to know if there are any gotchas...I don't want to hose up my Treo.

I have the FAT32.PRC file and the T650Tool.zip files but admit I haven't looked at them yet. Is there a good set of step-by-step instructions anywhere? The ones inthe .zip file appear to be a bit dated.

Forgive the noobie questions, but I want to make sure I dont screw anything up....
    ""The weather is here...wish you were beautiful."
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Hey all,

Shadow has gotten the FAT32 (presumably from 700P) to work on the 650. It's not simple..you need to do a custom rom. Use the T650 tool on shadowmite's site and replace the FATFS.PRC file in rom with the FAT32.PRC file I've attached. The file is from shadowmite.com but I don't see it linked anywhere.

T650 tool at shadowmite.com

Please notify if any information is incorrect!
    -G
    I have just purchased a 4 gb sd card and see that you have found a way to make it work with the treo 650, do you have any step by step instruction to do this?
    I installed the FAT32.PRC in my 650's ROM and it seemed to work to format cards, yet my card is still listed as a FAT16 volume. (Yes, I deleted the old PRC.) I'm puzzled.
    jamesgangut has several different ROMs prebuilt that install from SD with no need to build one. I also use a Mac and it was easy. Fat 32 is in all I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy
    jamesgangut has several different ROMs prebuilt that install from SD with no need to build one. I also use a Mac and it was easy. Fat 32 is in all I think.

FOR GSM UNLOCKED
    Does anyone have a custom ROM that is stable for Cingular/GSM (locked) which takes out Versamail and Tutorial and all that unnecessary crap, includes FAT32 and Fast mode blazer?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadygrey
    I agree with ChasT. I used shadowmites tool and blew my treo away and was stuck in a reset loop for a while. I'm sure I did something wrong along the way though, since I wanted to exclude Realplayer, Versamail, and a few other things while adding FAT32 support. Needless to say shadowmites 650 restore tool which uses the original USB sync cable for the 650 works fine....after 3 hours of playing around and re-reading everything on these threads I finally saved my phone, my azz, and successfully placed the FAT32.prc into ROM. Everything is fine now. If you are scared with playing around with your existing ROM to "exclude" extra stuff than don't. Just follow the instructions below. I copied and paste this from a user who posted it in the above linked thread.

"I used your instructions to update my cingular treo 650 so I could use my new 4gb SD card and all worked fine. Thanks. I have a slight suggestion about your directions--try to be more simple. I read all of your links and other discussions about the process and thought that there was a large amount of work and actual programming to do which is not the case. Here is what I did:
    1. Downloaded the ROMtool and the Romtoolsetup.pdf.
    -http://discussion.treocentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11183
    -http://grack.com/romtool
    2. Expanded the ROMtool and the included Treo windows usb driver into the directory the Romtoolsetup.pdf told me to do.
    3. Reset my Palm while pushing the hotsync button to get to the boot loader rainbow screen and told Windows where the driver for the new device (the treo) was located.
    4. Followed the instructions of the Romtoolsetup.pdf on how to use the ROMtool to do 3 things:
    -backup my oemROM
    -tweak a version of the backup ROM (I merely removed the FATFS.PRC and put the FAT32.PRC in its place
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/a...achmentid=10808)
    -upload the customized ROM back into the phone

That was all there was to it. Simple.

I just wanted to point that out to folks who read more into this like I did.
    Now that I am confident that all we are doing here is taking out and replacing files from the ROM and not programming some kind of machine BIOS in the treo I'm going back to find the files that are unnecessary like the Welcome app and such like. Thanks again for showing us how to do this!"
    I removed the FATFS.PRC and put the FAT32.PRC in its place and installed it in my Treo 650 successfully, however when I reset the phone it just kept reseting and would never fully come up. The rom I used was ace-palmos.zip, is there another rom I should use? What rom did you use? Any sugjestions? I feel like I am so close to getting it to work.
    Hi all,

I've installed a Rom with fat32 but it's not working on my treo 650. I'm trying to read a 4GB x150 card with no success, but my laptop reads it perfectly. What could I do to solve this problem?
    I used this card:
    http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4795229

4GB 150x, it is definetly faster than SanDisk Ultra II 512MB