Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Anyone else noticed bad Volume names showing up in certain apps? For me, SplashPhoto and Good show garbage character for the volume label.
    Yes - I have seen the problem with pTunes - it showed the volume name as some unpritable characters. But my situation may be slightly different than yours.

I have Transcend 4GB card and it came pre-formated, I plugged it into my Treo and no problems - everything works - I don't remember if PocketTunes showed proper volume name at this point. However, when I put the card in my Dell Inspirion 9300 SD card reader, it wouldn't recognize the card - says it is unformatted. So, I reformatted it on the laptop (Win XP) and then put it into Treo. Now most of the application worked fine, but pTunes in particular will show the card volume name as unprintable charactes instead of the expected volume name and when this happens, it also seemed like some of my settings gets messed up (although I couldn't reproduce this 100% of the time). I then used the Treo CardInfo to simply change the volume name and now the name appears properly in PocketTunes.
    I have done as shadowM and what not have stated, now my VZW-650 wont recognize any cards.... Any ideas?
    A little more info, did you just remove fatfs and add fat32 or did you strip your rom as well? what tool did you use?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

used the Grack tool. Downloaded rom to directory. Deleated the skirts from the list, including the Fatfs and replaced it with the fat32.
    It all went smoothly and when I download the rom now it shows the fat32 file.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd
    Yes - I have seen the problem with pTunes - it showed the volume name as some unpritable characters. But my situation may be slightly different than yours.

I have Transcend 4GB card and it came pre-formated, I plugged it into my Treo and no problems - everything works - I don't remember if PocketTunes showed proper volume name at this point. However, when I put the card in my Dell Inspirion 9300 SD card reader, it wouldn't recognize the card - says it is unformatted. So, I reformatted it on the laptop (Win XP) and then put it into Treo. Now most of the application worked fine, but pTunes in particular will show the card volume name as unprintable charactes instead of the expected volume name and when this happens, it also seemed like some of my settings gets messed up (although I couldn't reproduce this 100% of the time). I then used the Treo CardInfo to simply change the volume name and now the name appears properly in PocketTunes.
    Probably a retarded question, but you did have to do the FAT32 hack first, before the Transcend card would be recognized, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky2
    Probably a retarded question, but you did have to do the FAT32 hack first, before the Transcend card would be recognized, right?
    If you don't have the FAT32 hack installed, you might be able to see the SD card as something that would need to be formatted rather than as a 4GB card. You could format it, but you would only see 2GB (the max w/o the FAT32 hack).

But if you already have the FAT32 hack, then a propery formatted card will appear normally with the full capacity (that's how it worked with my Transcend 4GB card). Just to be safe and ensure the Treo would be happy with it, I formatted it again using my Treo with the FAT32 hack already installed.
    Can we summarize these pages into a sticky short HOWTO? 38 pages of anecdotes is a bit much to wade through.
    So is the space over and above the ROM size in the ROM partition (marked as "wasted space" by the ROM Tool) not used for anything? Is it just an inaccessible and unusable resource?
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaudio
    So is the space over and above the ROM size in the ROM partition (marked as "wasted space" by the ROM Tool) not used for anything? Is it just an inaccessible and unusable resource?
    yep............
    Thanks Shadowmite.

4 GB RiData 150x SD card running on my Treo 650, perfectly...

Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
    To review, is it possible to just delete the fatfs file and replace it with the fat32fs file?
    Quote Originally Posted by scythe000
    To review, is it possible to just delete the fatfs file and replace it with the fat32fs file?
    No because the file is in the ROM and that can't be deleted. You have to do a custom rom in order for it to work.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Ptunes support was at first suprised that FAT32 existed, and then proceeded to fix my issue. She suggested reformatting the card using cardinfo (built in). I did this and my palm no longer had Ptunes issues like volumename weirdness and most important playlist breakage. Everything work fine now...
    They were suprised that a Palm OS device had Fat32 Support? I wonder if they realised that the LifeDrive uses Fat32 to access it's 4gig HD? (Also isn't PTunes pre-installed on the LifeDrive? )
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    At the risk of being told that if I have to ask, I don't need to know...

What's the big deal? Why is this cool? I'm 32 and a little fat. Does that matter?
    Fat16 has a limit of 2gig. If you want a 4gig SD card then you need Fat32.

Also even if your SD card is only 2 gig, the Fat32 driver will access a Fat16 card faster than the Fat16 driver can.

That and it is just cool to have your Treo able to do something that most other Treos can't!
    Ok - I'm a newbie and would please like some help.

I just received my Palm 650 from Cingular and bought a 4GB Transcend card that I was hoping to use with it. All I would like to do is modify my Palm so that I can use the 4GB SD card. That and maybe get rid of the stupid tutorial that's on there and perhaps put a video icon on there - but these two aren't necesssary. Anyway, to use the full 4gigs I understand that I need to make my Palm run on a FAT32 but I got very intimidated when I saw all the warnings about turning one's phone into a doorstop. Could somebody please provide me with a link which will walk me through this? (as I'm sure it's been covered time and time again)

One last thing - if I do this, are there any adverse effects that it will have on my Palm (update problems, HotSync, etc.) ?

Thank you so much for any help you could provide
    - KY Jelly
    Look for the ROM Tool, there are lots of posts here with instructions. It is the safest thing yet.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Thank you jamesgangut for getting back to me! Now - the problem is that I suck a little bit and I'm not sure how to "use the rom tool"

I found this posting by you which looks like exactly what I may need.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564

However, I am not sure what to do with the zip file after I extract it. Also, I've read that I am supposed to save my current rom files first (which I don't know how to do) then replace a specific file? Or not...?

Sorry for making anyone on here read "Rom for Dummies"!

- KY Jelly
    I always use the directory option rather than the zip option. That way you're working with files instead of "images."