Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    thank you james (so quick ..... i don't think he EVER sleeps )

regards
    aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks
    Treo 650, 1.20/1.71 ENA, FAT32, 4G A-Data 150x, 1.3GB Free of 3.7 GB
    http://www.bananachunks.com/misc/vfsmark.20060220a.html
    Thanks !

Any VfsMark for the transcend 4GB ???

stipus
    I don't want to readd the entire thread but can some one tell me if I need this FAT32? I have a Sprint 650 1.12 and I have a 1 GB SD. Does FAT32 make it run faster? What else is it good for? Will it make my treo crash less often?
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudedvision
    I don't want to readd the entire thread but can some one tell me if I need this FAT32? I have a Sprint 650 1.12 and I have a 1 GB SD. Does FAT32 make it run faster? What else is it good for? Will it make my treo crash less often?
    I don't want to tell you answers that have already been posted (several times, I might add) in the thread you don't want to read...
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks
    I don't want to tell you answers that have already been posted (several times, I might add) in the thread you don't want to read...
    OK then tell me which page and which thread to read. I skimmed the thread but did not find the info I need so appreciate if you can save me some time.
    you can't "skim" the thread , you have to "read" it , all your answers are here , just look a l'il harder.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    OK then tell me which page and which thread to read. I skimmed the thread but did not find the info I need so appreciate if you can save me some time.
    The sad truth is that if you don't have the time to read this thread and a few others, you won't have the knowledge you need to be able to implement fat32. So I'd recommend you don't go there. What you've got works. I wouldn't mess with it.

(I took this advice myself too, and have stayed away so far)
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    All the info. you need to create a custom ROM is in the first couple of pages. It really isn't that hard.

When you get to the point when you remove files from ROM you simply double click on fatfs.prc and then add the fat32.prc.
    FAT32 will access the SD card faster so everything that anything to do with the SD card will run faster, dramatically faster.

It is not good for anything else that really matters although there are a few details that matter to someone who is a real techie.

It will not make your Treo crash less often.
    Yes it Speeds things up,
    But if your not using Cards bigger than 2GB,
    then You are fine.
    The main reason some are going to this Fat32 is Fat16 (FAT)
    can't handle more than 2GB
    So run out, spend $200 and get your 4GB Cards NOW!
    Just call me Berd.
    hey hdtv,
    thx for tip, didn't work but it was a good thought... really thought it was gonna work too...lol
    gonna try to do a rom this weekend, using 1 from james right now but hoping that if I take off Real and maybe some langs I can get a little more dbcache space and hopefully that will help solve my bt prob...
    I have the FAT32.prc in my custom ROM.

I just bought a 1 GB SD card and formatted it in my Treo. I'm assuming it is now FAT32. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. . .

I always format my SD cards in my Treo before use, so my old one (a 256 SanDisk) was still formatted with FAT16.

I transferred a 200.5 MB file (a movie, The Incredibles) to each card using my laptop's card reader (I think it is USB 1.1). Then I formatted the 256 MB card in my phone (presumably FAT32) and transferred the file again. Here are the results:

1 GB, FAT32: 3:37
    256 MB, FAT16: 3:56
    256 MB, FAT32: 3:52

FWIW
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I have the FAT32.prc in my custom ROM.

I just bought a 1 GB SD card and formatted it in my Treo. I'm assuming it is now FAT32. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. . .

I always format my SD cards in my Treo before use, so my old one (a 256 SanDisk) was still formatted with FAT16.

I transferred a 200.5 MB file (a movie, The Incredibles) to each card using my laptop's card reader (I think it is USB 1.1). Then I formatted the 256 MB card in my phone (presumably FAT32) and transferred the file again. Here are the results:

1 GB, FAT32: 3:37
    256 MB, FAT16: 3:56
    256 MB, FAT32: 3:52

FWIW
    Tony,

I would put your newly formatted card in a card reader and (if operating in windows) go to My Computer->card name->Properties. I had a 2g card that I formatted in the Treo AFTER Fat32 and it was still listed as Fat16. When the new Transcend card arrived, it natively formatted to Fat32. Interestingly, after a soft reset, I reformatted my 2G card and it is now Fat32 and it is not supposed to be that way. According to the kind folks over at jamesgangut, format will not occur to Fat32 UNLESS over 2G.

Regards,

Jim
    Okay here are my VFSmark results using the Transcend 4GB SD Card:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 160%
    File Delete: 53%
    File Write: 46%
    File Read: 713%
    File Seek: 1311%
    DB Export: 41%
    DB Import: 306%
    Record Access: 1206%
    Resource Access: 1010%

VFSMark: 538

The write speed is slow unfortunately and definitely noticable... But overall the card has been pretty reliable for me which is a very important thing imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Tony,

I would put your newly formatted card in a card reader and (if operating in windows) go to My Computer->card name->Properties. I had a 2g card that I formatted in the Treo AFTER Fat32 and it was still listed as Fat16. When the new Transcend card arrived, it natively formatted to Fat32. Interestingly, after a soft reset, I reformatted my 2G card and it is now Fat32 and it is not supposed to be that way. According to the kind folks over at jamesgangut, format will not occur to Fat32 UNLESS over 2G.

Regards,

Jim
    Good info. I'll try that later.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Interestingly, after a soft reset, I reformatted my 2G card and it is now Fat32 and it is not supposed to be that way. According to the kind folks over at jamesgangut, format will not occur to Fat32 UNLESS over 2G.
    I reformated a 1GB card in my Treo after installing a Fat32 ROM. It formated to Fat32. I had to use the PC reader to return it to Fat16 which performs better.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I bought the ADATA 4GB card. It works great in my treo, but unfortunatly, my dazzle X in 1 reader almost always marks it as read-only (1 in 100 times it makes it reda-write), making that useless. So i downloaded card export 2, and that worked fine. (In fact, Card Export 2 w/ treo attached to my usb2 laptop, is faster at transfering data to the card than the usb1 box I have).
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    can someone give e more detail on fat32.prc ?
    1. i should remove the original fatfs.prc ?
    2. change filename or keep fat32.prc in custom rom ?

thanks
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mashi
    can someone give e more detail on fat32.prc ?
    1. i should remove the original fatfs.prc ?
    2. change filename or keep fat32.prc in custom rom ?

thanks
    Yes remove fatfs.prc and replace it with fat32.prc. This is covered in this long thread.
    Here are my test results. I like the Custom Rom I made, I will probably be making myself another Custom Rom that has more tools I like, and remove more of the default junk I do not use.

I will be sticking with Fat16 for my 2gig card. Oober Fast!

---- ---- ---- ---- ----
    VFSMark Results - Default (Pre Upgrade) (Fat16 Support Only) 256mb SD Card

File Create: 179%
    File Delete: 276%
    File Write: 85%
    File Read: 527%
    File Seek: 786%
    DB Export: 94%
    DB Import: 391%
    Record Access: 658%
    Resource Access: 629%

VFSMark: 402

VFSMark Results - After Install, Fat16 on 256mb SD Card

File Create: 151%
    File Delete: 110%
    File Write: 87%
    File Read: 644%
    File Seek: 3933%
    DB Export: 87%
    DB Import: 537%
    Record Access: 1167%
    Resource Access: 1066%

VFSMark: 864

VFSMark Results - After Install, Fat32 on 256mb SD Card

File Create: 189%
    File Delete: 243%
    File Write: 100%
    File Read: 627%
    File Seek: 2950%
    DB Export: 96%
    DB Import: 537%
    Record Access: 1005%
    Resource Access: 984%

VFSMark: 747

VFSMark Results - After Install, Fat16 on 2gig 120x SD Card

File Create: 193%
    File Delete: 1743%
    File Write: 557%
    File Read: 713%
    File Seek: 2950%
    DB Export: 785%
    DB Import: 428%
    Record Access: 1131%
    Resource Access: 1129%

VFSMark: 1151

VFSMark Results - After Install, Fat32 on 2gig 120x SD Card

File Create: 377%
    File Delete: 104%
    File Write: 251%
    File Read: 662%
    File Seek: 2360%
    DB Export: 181%
    DB Import: 519%
    Record Access: 1206%
    Resource Access: 1097%

VFSMark: 750
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre