Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
    Thanks Kwibuz. I'll give it a shot, maybe it didn't work before because I tried running it before reset & resyncing.
    See post 606. Bottom line:

VFSMark: Fat16: 399 FAT32: 650

Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    Any suggestions?
    Contact Softick....maybe they need to change a setting ?
  4. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Sandisk 2GB

VFSMark Before Results

File Create: 83%
    File Delete: 50%
    File Write: 20%
    File Read: 692%
    File Seek: 842%
    DB Export: 52%
    DB Import: 393%
    Record Access: 754%
    Resource Access: 768%

VFSMark: 406

VFSMark After Results

File Create: 86%
    File Delete: 52%
    File Write: 95%
    File Read: 653%
    File Seek: 1966%
    DB Export: 55%
    DB Import: 416%
    Record Access: 952%
    Resource Access: 960%

VFSMark: 581

Card is FAT16

I felt like my card is exceptionally slow at writing, look at that result (20%! of a Palm m500!). Is this normal?
    I finally decided to try this out and it is awesome.

I'm running Shadowmite's custom ROM #5 for 1.12 and added the FAT32 file.

I forgot to run VFSMark before installing the updated ROM, so I don't have those numbers.

I ran the test 3 times after the update before formatting the SD Card to FAT32. Here's my results with Sandisk 2GB blue SD Card.

1st run:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 718%
    File Delete: 596%
    File Write: 254%
    File Read: 672%
    File Seek: 2950%
    DB Export: 365%
    DB Import: 454%
    Record Access: 1096%
    Resource Access: 1097%

VFSMark: 911

Second run:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 834%
    File Delete: 601%
    File Write: 244%
    DB Export: 302%
    DB Import: 462%
    Record Access: 1064%
    Resource Access: 1097%

VFSMark: 914

3rd run:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 802%
    File Write: 255%
    DB Export: 371%
    DB Import: 462%
    Record Access: 1064%
    Resource Access: 1066%

VFSMark: 915

Results after formatting to FAT32

1st run:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 894%
    File Delete: 400%
    File Write: 260%
    File Read: 610%
    File Seek: 2360%
    DB Export: 249%
    DB Import: 456%
    Record Access: 1131%
    Resource Access: 1010%

VFSMark: 818

2nd run:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 979%
    File Delete: 435%
    File Write: 245%
    DB Export: 249%
    DB Import: 446%
    Record Access: 1096%
    Resource Access: 1010%

VFSMark: 825

3rd run:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 941%
    File Delete: 453%
    File Write: 267%
    DB Export: 212%
    DB Import: 473%
    Record Access: 1131%
    Resource Access: 1037%

VFSMark: 831

I can definitely tell a faster access time for the SD card. Almost no lag at all.
    Last edited by StrangeReaction; 02/18/2006 at 09:02 PM.
    does anyone have Sprint 1.13a totally stripped rom w/ FAT32??
    i mean without tutorial, real, versa, and other languages??
    i tried it couple times and every time i failed
    can someone make it for me or already have it post it please
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amdxmania
    does anyone have Sprint 1.13a totally stripped rom w/ FAT32??
    i mean without tutorial, real, versa, and other languages??
    i tried it couple times and every time i failed
    can someone make it for me or already have it post it please
    thanks
    PM me if you are still intersted
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

8. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    im also looking for a CNB rom with everything stripped and FAT32...
    i tried doing it myself but i don't see the real or quicktour or wrls email files...
  9. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    I ran the test 3 times after the update before formatting the SD Card to FAT32. Here's my results with Sandisk 2GB blue SD Card.

1st run:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 718%
    File Write: 254%
    Those are some very good write speeds for a regular 2GB Sandisk. I have that card and mine are 20%. Consider yourself lucky...
    So I am still confused...I have the FAT 32 driver on my treo, and a SanDisk Ultra II 2meg card....What is the final concencus on keeping it at 16 or reformatting to FAT 32. There has been so much back and forth, and I dont relly get the % marks, so a dummified answer would be awesome. Thanks!!!
    Fat16 is usually faster. I will only run FAT32 on a card greater than 2GB.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

VFSMark of 904 at 312MHz and 1365 at 468MHz using a 2GB 150x A-DATA card formatted with FAT and using the FAT32 prc. File seek was 5900%!!
    I read above that some of you bought 4GB A-DATA and 4 GB Transcend SD cards.

I need to choose a brand... Could you please post your VFSMark results with these 4GB cards ?

TIA,

stipus
    Treo 650, 1.20/1.71 ENA, FAT32, 4G A-Data 150x, 1.3GB Free of 3.7 GB
    http://www.bananachunks.com/misc/vfsmark.20060220a.html
    hey jamesgangut, installed your rom this weekend and it's running nicely... I forgot to load and pull vfsmark results but no problems at all... now just wondering, if I take that rom and use shadowmite's tool to take out Real Player & anything else extraneous, will that give me more room in DBCache??? The only problem I'm having now is resets from trying to use my BT in my Acura TL... Everytime I initiate a call from the car it resets the phone... if anyone has any info. about that, that would be great...
    make sure you delete the bluetooth trusted devices and go through the pairing process again.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Palm is in the buisness of making things easy and straight forward for it's own tech support group. they don't want to overly complicate things. I'm sure they have people who could do everything we have done. It's just not in the companies best interest to do those things.

Then again, I've always wondered why they don't start a "experimental" group which helps out the community with technology details, yet specifically requires you to give up your technical support from them to use it. Thus they would loose nothing, and mostly gain a great amount of innovation. But alas, I'm sure they have their reasons.
    Palm was coasting along on the success of the original Pilot for years, making only minor improvements. It seems it was the licensing to Handspring, TRG, SONY and then others that spurred any sort of innovation at Palm.

Now with all those licensees and others gone (or bought), Palm seems to be back to selling basically the same content in slightly different packages. Not only that, guys like Shadowmite demonstrate the huge market for "pushing the envelope," but Palm seems to think fewer people are buying their devices because they don't say "Windows" on them. Sad.

It's like the beginnning of the "pony car" era - beautifully styled devices with underpowered internals just waiting for a Shelby to come along and make them so much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, Palm seems continually oblivious to it's potential, continually ignoring the "performance" angle of their handheld market until the users run to Dell or somewhere else in total frustration. THEN they think the answer is to use the operating system in the Dells in order to get their customers back....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Hi all ....

can james or cranium or berd... or anybody for that matter

... pls confirm or advise ....

1. if you have done a custom ROM and for some reason (trade in back to store - sale on ebay - return to palm for seperate warranty issue etc ) want to revert back to the stock standard palm issue .... regardless of how your ROM currently is at the moment ....you just go to whatever your current latest official update is ... run that process ... and all is exactly as it was when you bought it initially ... ie all the stuff taken out ... all the stuff added (including fat32) ... etc .....reverts back to the stock standard palm ROM with the standard stuff in it and none of the extras that we prev added

2.i think i read in a recent post in another thread yesterday (altho i didn't understand most of the thread and may have confused the main point) that if we have done a custom ROM ..... and wish to do another one to change something ..... we should always do this "official updater restore process" as outlined above in point 1. ....before doing another custom ROM ...

or doesn't it matter and you can just do customs one after another

3. can you do too many customs on the one machine ...ie can the ROM "wear out" if you do it too often ....or can little bits of code get left in there ...kind of like installing and deleting lots of apps can gradually clog your treo up? ...

thanks again for all the contributors for all the fine work ...

regards
    aussietanker
    Jeezus, can we just make this a sticky already or what?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    aussietanker -
    1- Yes just run Palm's updater
    2- No, you don't need to do it between ROMs. Just the first time to a new version.
    3- I don't think so. I have flashed mine hundreds of times.