Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    If you format greater than 2gig on the pc the cluster size will be wrong.
    you must format it in the treo if it is going to have any chance of working.
    I have FAT32 installed on my Treo but when I use cardinfo to format the card it still formats as FAT which I assume is FAT16.
    Yeah, I will be receiving my 4GB Transcend SD card from Newegg in a day or two. Ok, so if the 650 does still format cards in fat16 when it has fat32.prc in ROM and formatting it in my PC to fat32 will make the card unusable, then how the heck do I get this 4GB SD card working in my 650?
    I have an ATP 4GB at home and will test when I return from London, ON on Friday...and thank you very much for posting the ROMs. The GSM 1.20 without tour and Real works perfectly!!!!
    Ok, been playing around with my SD cards in my 650 w/ fat32 custom ROM. I tried one of my 64MB SD cards first. I formatted it in the 650 and it was formatted as just plain "FAT" (I checked by inserting it in my PC's card reader, then right clicking on it and then properties. I then inserted my 2GB RiData card into my 650 and formatted it (I had formatted it to just plain FAT / FAT16 in my PC before), then checked it in my PC. It showed as FAT32. So apparently, with this new FAT32.prc, the 650 will automatically format lower capacity cards with FAT / FAT16 and higher capacity cards with FAT32.

One thing I did notice is that formatting my 2GB card in my Treo now takes ALOT longer. Anyone else notice this? I have my auto-power off set to 3 minutes. Even when formatting a card, is the auto-power off supposed to power off the 650? If I leave my 2GB card formatting, after the 3 minutes, the 650 powers off even though it was still formatting the card. Does the formatting continue even after it powers off?
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 02/14/2006 at 02:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    When I format my 2gig card (corsair - manufacturer unknown) in my Treo650 GSM it is done in about 10sec or so.
    I think it's maybe anything wrong with your ROM, flashing or card if your Treo times out before completing the format process...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    I think it's maybe anything wrong with your ROM, flashing or card if your Treo times out before completing the format process...

I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi

One thing I did notice is that formatting my 2GB card in my Treo now takes ALOT longer. Anyone else notice this? I have my auto-power off set to 3 minutes. Even when formatting a card, is the auto-power off supposed to power off the 650? If I leave my 2GB card formatting, after the 3 minutes, the 650 powers off even though it was still formatting the card. Does the formatting continue even after it powers off?
    It was a comment to your statement regarding the duration of the format process :|
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Ok, been playing around with my SD cards in my 650 w/ fat32 custom ROM. I tried one of my 64MB SD cards first. I formatted it in the 650 and it was formatted as just plain "FAT" (I checked by inserting it in my PC's card reader, then right clicking on it and then properties. I then inserted my 2GB RiData card into my 650 and formatted it (I had formatted it to just plain FAT / FAT16 in my PC before), then checked it in my PC. It showed as FAT32. So apparently, with this new FAT32.prc, the 650 will automatically format lower capacity cards with FAT / FAT16 and higher capacity cards with FAT32.

I have two ADATA 2GB SD cards one with original FAT16 and the other with FAT32 when out it PC's card reader and do DOS CHKDSK it reports cluster size of 4k for FAT32 and 32K for FAT16. It will require eight clusters for FAT to hold information what one cluster of FAT16. Palm must not read the complete cluster in it would wipe out it memory. I tried a 16K cluster with DOS FORMAT F: /V:MyDISK /FS:FAT32 /A:16K /X with limited success in speed pickup. The advantage of the smaller 4K cluster is that I can store more data on the card and it is only slightly slower than before the ROM update (742 vs. 699) I picked more capacity.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    I have FAT32 installed on my Treo but when I use cardinfo to format the card it still formats as FAT which I assume is FAT16.
    Check in a card reader, it will tell you for sure what FAT version it formatted in. I used the Treo cardinfo app to format my 2GB and in my reader it says it's FAT32.
    I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
    There must be something wrong with your custom rom. Mine formats a SD card in less than 5 seconds. And it formats 1G or 2G card in fat32.
    Hmmm... Ok, I've just flashed back to the official 1.13a update, then did the hard reset as the instructions say. After the hard reset, I did a zero out reset.

I then made the custom ROM again, downloading everything fresh. Before doing the custom ROM, I virus scanned my computer, ad-ware / spyware scanned it, ran scandisk / error-checking, ran my registry cleanup tools and defragmented, all just to make sure my PC was clean and performing well.

After doing the zero out reset and doing all the stuff to my PC, I made the custom ROM again, flashed my ROM and it's still taking a long time to format my 2GB RiData card. It keeps on formatting until the auto-off timer kicks in and then my 650 powers off. When I turn it back on, the formatting message is gone and all that's open is the card info. app.. The card does seem to be empty and formatted.

I wonder if it's a problem with the card cause all my other, smaller cards format fine and just as fast or faster now.
    Ok, just borrowed my brother's blue, 1GB Sandisk card, stuck it in my 650 and formatted it. It took about a second or two and Card Info. formatted it in FAT32. I'm guessing the problem is with my 2GB RiData card.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Ok, just borrowed my brother's blue, 1GB Sandisk card, stuck it in my 650 and formatted it. It took about a second or two and Card Info. formatted it in FAT32. I'm guessing the problem is with my 2GB RiData card.
    Weird because I have a Ridata PRO 120X 2GB card from Newegg. Works great.
    Try formatting with Softick Card Export or Card reader.....nothing I was able to do would make my 2 Gig A-Data card format in the Treo....only card reader worked. OTPH, the 128 MB SimpleTech card formats fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    You can, but performance is slightly better using FAT16 card with FAT32 driver in ROM. I would leave it as it is.
    My card properties says "FAT" and the only option is to format to FAT32 or FAT. How do I format to FAT16? Or do I want to?
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    My card properties says "FAT" and the only option is to format to FAT32 or FAT. How do I format to FAT16? Or do I want to?
    FAT is FAT16
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    FAT is FAT16

oh, btw, for those that aren't scared away by the reviews on the ADATA, newegg's price for the 4gb is 189.95.
    I would just like to add that the Transcend 4 gig card from newegg works perfectly in the treo650 with fat32 update. Works right out of the box.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried formatting their SD Card in FAT32 with 32K cluster sizes? Specific cluster sizes can be selected in Windows XP under Computer Management > Disk Management > Format.

Nevermind, I guess that cluster size is too big for FAT32. A cluster size of 8K seems to work though.
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/15/2006 at 07:30 AM.