Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    ok ... thanks guys ...

got the size thing sorted out now i think ... all the tips and help are greatly appreciated ... even if we are on opposite sides of the globe! ....

i have added zlauncher, ereader, mybible, filez, and aeroplayer prc's (only) to the 120LAP clf32 stripped ROM .... the resultant zip is 6.8mb which should still give a reasonable amount of "spare room" for that db cache thingie .....

another question .... in the instructions it says the following ...

15. Then click the button on the bottom left of shadowmites tool named Build it, When it says DONE YOU MAY EXIT, click exit which will create a folder called CustomROM. Within this folder is a file named ace-palmos.zip.md5 and a zip folder named ace-palmos. Copy both of these to your Folder named ROM. The computer will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing files, say Yes to all.
    however .... when i do mine i only see one file ... which is a zip file called ace-palmos. ... there is no file named ace-palmos.zip.md5....

any ideas ......

this is fun .... i think!

thanks and regards
    aussietanker
    Last edited by aussietanker; 02/11/2006 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    ok ... thanks guys ...

got the size thing sorted out now i think ... all the tips and help are greatly appreciated ... even if we are on opposite sides of the globe! ....

i have added zlauncher, ereader, mybible, filez, and aeroplayer prc's (only) to the 120LAP clf32 stripped ROM .... the resultant zip is 6.8mb which should still give a reasonable amount of "spare room" for that db cache thingie .....

another question .... in the instructions it says the following ...

however .... when i do mine i only see one file ... which is a zip file called ace-palmos. ... there is no file named ace-palmos.zip.md5....

any ideas ......

this is fun .... i think!

thanks and regards
    aussietanker
    The md5 file is very important. Do not try to install the ROM without it. Try using the Shadowmite's tool again. Also, because this is done at a DOS level the files may not show up in an already open window. Try closing and reopening whatever window you are using to view the file directories and see if it shows up. It is also a good idea to open the md5 file with notepad and make sure it has a checksum in it. The checksum will be a 32 digit "number" made of numerical and alphabetical digits.
    hey guys, thanks for good info-
    i just have few questions.
    is there any way i can use FAT32 for Blazer cach?
    i think it might be faster to use that for browsing.. does anybody knows??
    thanks Shadowmite. Another great job!!!!!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    http://home.comcast.net/~cadams7701/...1_04_FAT32.zip

Only change is updating to FAT32. I had tried removing apps from the ROM but Hotsync got messed up, I reflshed with this one and everything looks to be good.

Unzip and copy the ROM and PALM folders to an empty SD Card and follow the included directions.

I am looking to take the leap. If this does not work does using the Verizon updater put the ROM back the way it was?
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    Just uploaded a new version of 1.20 ENA complete w/ FAT32, SMS fix & Real removed to the following post. I had to remove RealPlayer due to space constraints in the ROM. I have tested it, so it should work this time.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=567
    Thank you very, very much.
    thanks for the heads up jgm .....Did as you suggested ... Fantastic outcome ....

after jgm's comment i used the method using the sd card shown here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ace-palmos.ziphere .... went as sweet as apple pie ....

i am very happy with the result, it all went so smoothly and everything on the treo seems to be working fine .....

thanks to everyone for all the help and patience ..... ....

now, just a couple of questions to finish this off if i can ....

i actually did this twice .... the first time i included eReader Pro and aeroplayer .... for the life of me i couldn't find ereader anywhere ... it just didn't show up ... but when i looked in the acepalmos zip it was listed there ... i was very dissapointed with this as it's a sizable app that doesn't change much and i use it heaps ..... i would be very interested to hear if others have had a similiar experience with ereader pro as it is in the "approved for rom" list

i decided to redo the custom rom leaving out eReader .... and also decided to delete aeroplayer as it doesn't seem to play wave files ..... i also realized that the guided tour thing was still in the stripped version that i had ... so after a bit of checking around i deleted those files....

so i have ended up with 120LAP stripped clf32 .. minus the guided tour ... and with butler, filez, mybible, power run, resco explorer and zlauncher (and one theme - i had trouble getting zlauncher to open without putting a theme in the custom ROM) ... added in ....

Q1. in regard to entering my registration codes for those apps that are now in ROM ... i presume some tag goes in RAM to say that they are registered ... hence they will have to be redone everytime there is a hard reset? ... or zero out reset ? ..

Q2. filez tells me that my ROM size is : 15466496 bytes , RAM is : 17367040 bytes and free RAM is 20799488 bytes ... is that ok with the amount of ROM used ... i have read that it's not too good to "fill it up totally" ... or do i have space to squeeze in some more without affecting stability ..... and what is the difference btwn RAM and FREE RAM ??

finally ...

Q3. considering that i am using 120 lap with fat32 ..... do i need to do anything special to my 2 gb ultra card before i start using it and loading it up with ebooks and mp3 etc ...

again ... thanks to all for guiding us newbies thru all this ... the encouragement and patience has been fantastic ...

with regards
    aussietanker
    Last edited by aussietanker; 02/12/2006 at 09:39 AM.
    sorry that the last post is so long ... so many questions ..... but a very happy camper all the same ......
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_madness
    Has anyone noticed more system memory? Was down to 2megs anda fter upgrade at 4.2 megs. FAT32 for system memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    This may be due to the hard reset if you haven't done one lately or ever before. The way I understand the RAM works is that in order to make sure nothing gets erased when you drain the power it doesn't store things to be the most efficient. When you reload everything in a hard reset recovery you reorder the files and everything getting moved a bit frees up some memory.

The first time I did a hard reset I recovered close to 2MB even though everything was installed back on.
    I assume we are talking about Dynamic Heap Ram.

Checkout MemoryInfo 1.1 if have not already got it:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ght=memoryinfo

When I first installed Meminfo I had 4600kb Free and 2400kb Largest Free Chunk, in round figures.

After playing around with putting some apps on my SD card I ended up with 4400kb of Chunk. This may have included a Hard Reset.

After this my SatNav, and 650 in general, worked a lot better with hardly any resets

Following another Hard Reset, trying to track down a problem with a beta app I was testing, I found that my Free Chunk had fallen back to 2400kb

I've not been able to get it back to the 4400kb levels since.

There is something going on here, but I can not figure it out.

I have solved the problem by installing UDMH, which increases the Dynamic Heap Ram, by stealing it from Storage Heap Flash memory.

Result is a stable Treo, but it would be interesting to try and get to the bottom of this.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    In my tool, IGNORE the rom size values. They mean nothing as we now understand rom sizes a LOT better. A tool will be released in the near future which simplifies roms, restores, and linux loading...

Rayban will say more when he's ready...
    How much more do you think we will be able to fit in ROM with the new tool?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    For our german users: I have written a "25-step for updating a custom-rom" with another username on Nexave-Hardware-Forum
    Have a look!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by compwat
    I am looking to take the leap. If this does not work does using the Verizon updater put the ROM back the way it was?
    I think if you don't like the outcome you could run the Palm firmware upgrade as long as phone boots up to do a hotsync.
    Had pre-released 1.20 ROW, and just flashed James' 1.20 ENA custom rom #4 with only tutorial and language files taken out and fat32 added. I put the 4 files for 255 carrier db into hotsynch backup folder, and restored. Now i have 255 carrier db, fat32, no tutorial, no language files, 1.20 ENA, camcorder app, what more could I ask for?

Everything works well, haven't had a reset yet (1 full day of use), the best part is the overall increase in speed of the Treo.

Thanks James. Another happy camper! Now i'm off to make the Network Select Hack again......... will post it soon as I get it done!
    The only downside I have found so far of the FAT32 drivers is that Pocket Tunes does not like wma music files.

They play, but they jump.

It does not matter if my SD card is formated to Fat or Fat32.

Not a big problem, but I thought it worth reporting.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I actually noted the opposite of the previous poster's experience with ptune. Before Fat32 whenever I am playing mp3 files with ptunes and I lost my phone signal ptunes will stutter. after Fat32 the stuttering is barely noticeable on signal loss/regain.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    The only downside I have found so far of the FAT32 drivers is that Pocket Tunes does not like wma music files.

They play, but they jump.

It does not matter if my SD card is formated to Fat or Fat32.

Not a big problem, but I thought it worth reporting.
    hmmm...I've got 700Mb of WMA music (VBR) on my 1Gb Card (along w/TomTom maps etc..) and they play just fine with P-Tunes after I switched to the Fat32 Driver (James's custom ENA Rom)..and I'm running the maps and music at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by vixensjlin
    My software version is 1.17 CNG, not CNB or CNA, could I use it?
    Vixen,
    Did you ever find a solution for a Custom CNG?
    Sissa, over here is trying to get his custom above 6.7mb http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=310
    Thanks
    Just call me Berd.
    Posted this in another thread, but it's not getting very many views.

So what's the process for getting a 4GB SD card working optimally in my 650? I've already installed a custom ROM with the fat32.prc in it. Do I format the 4GB SD card in Windows (in my PC's card reader) to fat32? Can the 650 format it to fat32 since it has the new fat32.prc in it?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Posted this in another thread, but it's not getting very many views.

So what's the process for getting a 4GB SD card working optimally in my 650? I've already installed a custom ROM with the fat32.prc in it. Do I format the 4GB SD card in Windows (in my PC's card reader) to fat32? Can the 650 format it to fat32 since it has the new fat32.prc in it?
    I wish I could tell you from experience, but I don't have a 4 gb card.

From what I've read in this thread, once you upgrade to fat32, whenever you format a card in the treo it formats it for fat32. If you don't want fat32, you need to format it on your PC. So you should be able to format your puppy on either device and it should work fine.

Do you have the 4gb card in your hand?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Santa you are correct: If you have 2GB or smaller you may and format either FAT16 or FAT32, but if got anything larger than 2GB must use FAT32. To format in FAT32 just format in the TREO by CardInfo, but to format FAT16 it must be done by the PC.

I find DOS format works best F: /V:MyDISK /FS:FAT /X where F: replace with drive your card is on and change MyDISK to volume name you want.

If you use CardExport II to connect to PC Format SC card after complete disconnect and remove card from TREO. Then put back in before restoring data to card.