Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tsy
    Not a new ROM, just trying to installation of one of Jamesgangut's ROM. I think I've figured it out. Only 1 last query do we unzip the ROM to the PALM folder on the SD card or look for a PALM folder in the ZIP file and unzip that. The FAQ seems to suggest the latter but may be a typo and the former sounds more logical.

Wish me luck or else I am about to brickify my treo....
    Rename the Palm folder on your SD card to something else, "Palm orig" or whatever. Unzip and copy the Palm file in the custom ROM to your SD card. Hard reset your Treo and go through the keyboard and digitizer set up until you have a running Treo without any third party apps. Insert the SD card and follow the instructions. Be patient and don't panic at all the resets. Don't forget to remove or rename the custom ROM Palm file and rename your original Palm file back to Palm.

Good luck, it is a bit frightening the first time but easy after that.
    Incredible. My vfsmark went from 505 on a 1 gb Sandisk without reformatting, to 908. After reformatting the card to fat32, my vfsmark was 826. Remarkable.
    J.
    VFS mark total shows almost a 200% increase. However this increase can be attributed to improvements in read access only. However , write speed only slightly improves.

What's the best 4 gig card available ? What's the write speed on that with vfs mark?
  4. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Rename the Palm folder on your SD card to something else, "Palm orig" or whatever. Unzip and copy the Palm file in the custom ROM to your SD card. Hard reset your Treo and go through the keyboard and digitizer set up until you have a running Treo without any third party apps. Insert the SD card and follow the instructions. Be patient and don't panic at all the resets. Don't forget to remove or rename the custom ROM Palm file and rename your original Palm file back to Palm.

Good luck, it is a bit frightening the first time but easy after that.
    Thank you! After a series of resets everything seems well. Restored with Backupbuddy VFS with no problems.

VFS on an old Lexar went up from 460 to 900. Main increases were Read and Dbase access times. Write speed still the same though.

Applications on Zlauncher run about 25% faster. Eg Agendus 8seconds now about 6 seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bailey
    Doesn't work. Error updating ROM.
    ok. Lemme check into it when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    I have been keeping up with this thread with great interest. While I consider myself to be tech and Treo savy, making a custom ROM of my own gives me the chills. I decided to take the plunge and used the Sprint custom ROM posted by CraniumFunk, with the FAT32 file added. Following his instruction verbatim, the ROM update went off with no problems. Using RescoBackUp, my Treo is back to where it was before the update. Now with the FAT32 file, moving apps and running SD card apps with ZLink does appear to be much "zippier".

Now for future referance, should I decide to make my own custom ROM, will apps such as Agendus (v10), TakePhone, 2Day, KMaps (with java files) run off the ROM?

Thanks!

AGREED! CraniumFUNK is the man!

Went ahead and took the plunge as well with the Sprint 1.13a with Fat32 patch and all went smooth and without a hitch! All I need now is a 4GB SD Card!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There is a new version of Resco Backup, 1.35, which locks "Risky" apps during backup.

http://www.resco.net/palm/backup/default.asp

Released yesterday, 10th February.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    George Bailey, You needed to download the FULL version. It will have German and the only change is fat->fat32 and the SMS fix. ALL the cust1-4 have german stripped except for the files needed to trigger lang selection.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Today I flashed my Treo650 with one of Jamesgangut's custom ROMS with FAT32.I then removed all info from my 1 Gig Sandisk card and insert in the Treo.Can anyone please tell me how to check the VFSMarks result.Thanks.
  10. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by ming
    Today I flashed my Treo650 with one of Jamesgangut's custom ROMS with FAT32.I then removed all info from my 1 Gig Sandisk card and insert in the Treo.Can anyone please tell me how to check the VFSMarks result.Thanks.
    Download the VFS programme from various freeware websites. Google VFS and Kopsis Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bailey
    Doesn't work. Error updating ROM.
    Just uploaded a new version of 1.20 ENA complete w/ FAT32, SMS fix & Real removed to the following post. I had to remove RealPlayer due to space constraints in the ROM. I have tested it, so it should work this time.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=567
  12. tsy
    Started a new thread in accessories detailing the VFS scores of various cards after Shadowmites Fat32 update. Could we post the results there. This will really help everyone decide which are the better SD cards to get for our beloved Treos.

Thanx in advance...
    Here's a link http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/card...etail=detailed

Its currently down though. It compares sd cards using results from vfs mark. The fastest write speed (last year) for the Treo 650 was for the blue 1 gig Sandisk (200% with 90 mb free). There are 2 more brands that performed well but I rather stick with the brand I grew up with.

IMHO, best to get the fastest write speed. Read access is usually fast when write speed is. Some cards may get high vfs mark scores but have very low write speeds. This translates to poor performance when saving to sd.
    Is it faster with the fat32 driver when loading pics in MEDIA APP?
    Thanks CraniumFUNK! Just loaded your custom rom 1.20 ENA w/out Real, Clock and Versa with FAT32 on my unlocked GSM and life is very very good!
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling
    Is it faster with the fat32 driver when loading pics in MEDIA APP?
    Yea in my impression much faster, probably cut down the loading time by 30-50%. I didn't time the time when I had the original Palm rom though.
    Thank you!
    What's a good brand for a 4 gig card?
    I REALLY have to throw in my thanks to, first and foremost, Shadowmite.
    And thank you Cranium and James too.
    This is incredible. My Treo is running at light speed!
    I did a Sprint Rom/fat32 with all of the crap (versa, real, bc, handango, etc.) Gone gone gone.

And replaced them with Hilauncher, Zlauncher, kblights, keycaps650, and datebook5!
    The treo is running better than ever.

Maybe I am crazy, but even Blazer seems extremely (relative) fast!
    Shadowmite and others... KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK!!!!
    Its because of you (and marc/chatter) that I even kept this DAMN phone.

Palm is crazy not to hire you and make you RICH!
    hi all ...

i am a bit confused now ... i think that i must be doing something wrong and need a bit of guidance .....

i have downloaded the custom ROM 120LAP stripped clf 32 ..... i thought that i could add one or two apps into the stripped version using shadowmites 650 tool ... i initially tried to add the following apps ... aeroplayer, mybible, ereader, filez, powerun, resco backup, zlauncher ...

ok then.. slightly more than one or two ....

i used shadowmites tool to add them (prc only) ... according to the instructions ... i followed them (i thought) to the T ... then i hit build it .... and get a ROM size number at 8470909 of 7130000 |- 1340909 available .... too big i said .....

i then tried to cut down the size by removing some of the apps ... but got the same result .... then i ran it without adding anything at all ... ie the stripped down app exactly as downloaded only ... and still get the same figures .....

obviously i am doing something wrong ...

and not understanding it as well as i thought i did ...

i do realize that the tool 's figures are valid for sprint only ... but why does it give the same result regardless .... or does it mean that i can't use the 650 tool for "adjusting" this downloadedd ROM ??? .... how can i add in one or two of these apps then ..... am i limited to the SD card method only?

can anyone pls tell me what i am doing wrong .....

please... .....

regards
    aussietanker