Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Was reading through some specs on FAT16 vs. FAT32. FAT16 is definetly limited to 2GB. FAT32 limit is 2TB.
    Phew. I was wondering what the FAT32 limit was. Looks like this FAT32 driver is going to last us for a while...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Not in theory but in practice. Do you guys see that Fat32 is faster than FAT16 at loading applications from the SD card using applications like Zlauncher? or Saving apps to the SD card?

Please let us know with a clear answer,

Thanks,

Al
    If I remember correctly, the volume can be up to 4GB but the partition cannot be larger than 2GB for FAT16.

Basically, I can take a 4GB drive and partition it to 2 x FAT16 2GB. Volumes larger than 4GB will not allow you to use FAT16 at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    If I remember correctly, the volume cannot be larger than 4GB but the partition cannot be larger than 2GB for FAT16.

Basically, I can take a 4GB drive and partition it to 2 x FAT16 2GB. Volumes larger than 4GB will not allow you to use FAT16 at all.
    That is also correct.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

You can, but performance is slightly better using FAT16 card with FAT32 driver in ROM. I would leave it as it is.
    So a 4GB Card will function better Formatted Fat16?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle

That's a good qustion considering the faster VFSmarks people are reporting on the fat16 cards compared to the cards formated with Fat32 using this patch...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I can post my 1.20 LAP custom with the shadow fat32 if you guys need it. Been using it since yesterday and it has been working well. Custom have all non english files, tips, sam, bg files, versa mail and real files removed. The only addition is Shadow's Fat32.

My vfs total score with a sandisk 1g used to be 489 to 512 (with 100 mb free). Now with the Shadow's fat32, I'm getting 790 to 900! Overall Treo performance is a bit faster. Launching apps from card and accessing data from it improved a lot. Its like having a new Treo. : )
    Yes please. I am looking for a LAP version.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    If the 4 GB card is formatted with a 2 GB FAT16 partition, it's gonna be slightly faster than a 2 GB FAT32 partition. But you'd be wasting the other 2 gigs (unless we had some Treo s/w to allow us to create a 2nd partition on the card).

You can't format a 4 GB SD card larger than 2 GB using FAT16. To get the partition to use the entire physical volume of 4 GB, must be formatted FAT32, or as 2 FAT16 drives.

The thing is FAT32 works much better with large files & large volumes. Intended to optimize the high end of the spectrum. Below FAT16 limits, FAT16 performs better than FAT32 simply cause there's less overhead. Also, FAT32 has security descriptors, so everytime a file is accessed, the Treo has to check permissions to the file. Adds to the access time.
    If I remember correctly, the volume can be up to 4GB but the partition cannot be larger than 2GB for FAT16.

Now that I have succesfully install an ***** proof rom, I would like to try customzing one. Cranium i looked at your files, but didnt see where i could delete rom programs that i dont want and reload it again, any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdav
    Now that I have succesfully install an ***** proof rom, I would like to try customzing one. Cranium i looked at your files, but didnt see where i could delete rom programs that i dont want and reload it again, any advice?
    You might read up on the procedures a bit. I have attached a link to some instructions & tools on how to do this. Basically, with what you have, you are at step 8:

http://shadowmite.com/wiki/index.php...nd_Rom_Hacking

Let me forewarn you that this isn't for the faint-hearted. If you are not completely comfortable with the Treo, might be worth spending some time around this & Shadowmite's site before you jump in.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    nm
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/08/2006 at 07:04 PM.
    getting 39 FPS watching "Long Kiss Goodnight" now!

recently registered resco backup and worked great too
    (not to mention a little birdie told me a update will be out in a couple days)

using zlauncher i barely even notice some files zip across at launch they are so fast

mapopolis loads the maps faster, gets the map list much much faster

VFSMark Results(Before)

File Create: 289%
    File Delete: 249%
    File Write: 61%
    File Read: 682%
    File Seek: 694%
    DB Export: 205%
    DB Import: 401%
    Record Access: 841%
    Resource Access: 800%
    VFSMark: 469

VFSMark Results after FAT32(using fat16 format)
    File Create: 336%
    File Delete: 322%
    File Write: 62%
    File Read: 713%
    File Seek: 2950%
    DB Export: 207%
    DB Import: 436%
    Record Access: 1206%
    Resource Access: 1238%
    VFSMark: 830

50% increase in record and resource access
    not to mention 400% increase in seeking
    with palm going through the fat driver again for fat32 they obviously saw room for improvement!
    Awesome!! Treo is now noticeably faster.

Thought I fried my Ultra II 2GB. Formatted it to FAT 32 in a card reader and when I went to reload it from the temp directory I had made on the PC, the process crawled like molassas in winter. Stopped the process, reformatted the Ultra II with the Treo, checked it back in the card reader (and it was formatted Fat32 by the Treo), and then the restore back to the card moved along fine.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/08/2006 at 09:16 PM.
    Yeah, this is noticeably faster. Still haven't decided whether to format the card in 16 or 32.
    seems popular believe is fat16....unless of course your card is 4gb then definately fat32-but then we are all waiting for someone to say it infact works with 4gb!

well isn't this going to through a wrench in those sd comparison charts...

what was the fastest card again for the 650?
    and what can it do now with fat32?
    mainly want to know if the 133x cards are worth it...
    that and wanting the folding sandisk!( wish they had a 4gb or at least 2gb)
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    Fat 16 is good for 4GB on a PC but on a SD card fat16 is only good for 2gb...
    Well, on PC the FAT16 cluster size can change to 64k (and can go even higher in Linux, 256k I think) and handle 4G or more by FAT16, however, I tried to format my 4G SD card by FAT16/64k, Treo650 does not recognize it. I will wait for a cingular rom with FAT32 support.
    Loaded another Custom Rom with FAT32 and all the *.tips files removed. Ran VFSMark and scored 870, up from 476 w/FATFS and from 786 w/FAT32 and the tip files in ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I used to be loyal to backup buddy for the longest time until I got my Treo 650 when restoring was a pain..... full of errors. Resco Backup has been awesome with me. I have never had a problem.

Al
    Backupman works great for me, except it doesn't restore pics + videos.

Does resco backup and restore pics and videos?
    ...clip...
    To get the partition to use the entire physical volume of 4 GB, must be formatted FAT32, or as 2 FAT16 drives.
    I mentioned in a earlier post that I have an 155mb Isilo doc on my 2GB card that needs to stay at Fat16 because of a 2 sec lag.
    So are you saying a 4GB won't work for me because I have to stay at Fat16?
    Or did you say a 4GB card could be partitioned into two 2GB partitions formatted Fat16?

Somebody really needs to get a 4GB card at get to testing it
    Just call me Berd.