Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stupid question:

Can I use Resco Explorer to manually delete the undesireables from ROM, instead of doing a complete ROM upgrade?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Okay, I have very limited knowled in embedded systems, so I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and try to enumerate this.

The DOC chip is equivalent to the flash on a router, it houses the compressed kernel image, the boot scripts, all that good stuff.

Palm in their infinite wisdom appears to have decided that they need to load a bootloader into some location in memory which in turn loads another bootloader into some location in memory, which in turn loads a third bootloader into some location in memory, which in turn loads the *compressed* OS image into some location in memory and inits it. I suppose my first question is why do they need so many layers of loaders, why not combine all of the operations into one sophisticated bootloader and save memory? My second question would be, are all of these operations independent from our NVFS partition, that is, the data on this partition remains unaltered from its previous state? My initial guess to this is yes, but I'm not positive.

When one updates the ROM image in their device, some software does some calculations using entry points and lengths to determine a new partition layout. This means, to my understanding, that it is theoretically possible for a sloppy Palm engineer to create an incredibly disgusting image, and most likely impossible, that will occupy enough memory to leave us with no NVFS space. My question is in regards to the Linux port. How are you handling this? Have you written your own bootloader, or using the one already in the device? Where do the config scripts reside (please don't say in the ROM partiton :P) , do you know the location and length of all the bootloader stuff? How large is compressed kernel (and uncompressed) kernel image? How are you handling the root partition? I imagine you are using a ramdisk image? How big is that? Is it possible to access the NVFS file system prior to the booting of the actual OS? Where are you loading the aforementioned ramdisk image?

Interesting stuff, thanks for the post!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123