Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    DBCache is basically whatever is left over after uncompressed ROM and dynamic RAM have been allocated.

The 700p likely had 18MB of DBCache because only a few items from its ROM needed to be loaded into main memory (perhaps the boot, DAL and UI libraries). The rest of the items are likely just accessed directly from the flash ROM. None of this is confirmed - it's all just speculation based on the current Treo 650 knowledge and the minimal amount of info we got from the 700p.

Updated thought: It's possible that they split the extra memory not used for ROM between dynamic RAM and DBCache. We won't know until we see the 700p, however.
    So we can increase the size of our dbcache by simply removing files from our custom ROMs. The only reason to modify the romupdaterapp would be if we wanted the extra space (given that we made our custom ROM smaller) to be allocated as RAM and not as dbcache?

I'll be making a new custom ROM without any of the extras that I've been putting in there next week. I'll also be adding the new FAT32 prc.

Who needs a 700p when the 650 keeps getting better with age? lol
    Update:

I had to revert back to my "full" custom ROM since when I used my "minimal" ROM I had constant resets when I ran GoodLink. Not sure what the problem is but the extra dbcache wasn't worth the constant resets for me.
    Why do we need huge gobs of dbCache if the OS manages it correctly (as it seems to be doing, finally, after the latest update)?

POS runs very few things in the background. As long as the OS swaps the foreground application into the cache and flushes it when needed, we should be OK?

I have been torture-testing my Treo by running all sorts of applications one after another, and they all run fine.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    aprasad,

Even the latest GSM firmware doesnt always clear enough up for me when I want to run GoodLink, TomTom and P-Tunes I will run out of Max Alloc (ie continuous)...TT needs 2Gb and I'll fall just a little short unless I let Dbcache clear it up.

If I could get a custom rom that gave me an extra 1Mb NVFS cache on my system, I'd be in heaven (I guess I need to research how to use a custom rom (on a locked Cingular phone)
    I have two reasons why I need as much dbcache as I can get right now on my Treo 650...

TomTom
    GoodLink

With both of these running I need about 8 MB of total dbcache... TomTom needs ~2 MB and GoodLink needs ~6 MB of "Largest free chunck" dbcache... so just having enough total free dbcache is not enough for my situation. I also need most of that free dbcache to be in "largest free chunck".
    Being a goodlink user as well, I know exactly what you are dealing with. From my experience over the last week, the improvements in the Sprint 1.13 cache manager aren't enough to prevent all 'out of memory' problems launching Blazer. Been using MemoryInfo 1.1 to manually do a MemFill flush when needed, but now considering going back to dbCacheTool since it would do the flush automatically.

Not sure another 1M dbcache would be enough to fix it. Would like the FAT32 driver though...
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    mmastrac - thanks very much for the article. As others have said, it was well written and clarifies a number of things. Hoping it's ok with you, I've added a ref to it (with full credit) to a related article on the whole dbCache issue I've dealt with using GoodLink on the 650. You can find that article here.
    Actually for me it was close to 2MB of dbcache free'd... but I had issues with GoodLink crashing all the time when I had the minimal ROM. I'm going to try again and see if I can get GoodLink stable. My company still uses 4.0, maybe if I upgrade my client to 4.7 the resets will go away with the use of the minimal ROM. It was nice to be able to run TomTom without having to reset my Treo to free up the dbcache used by GoodLink.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paqmaster
    Actually for me it was close to 2MB of dbcache free'd... but I had issues with GoodLink crashing all the time when I had the minimal ROM. I'm going to try again and see if I can get GoodLink stable. My company still uses 4.0, maybe if I upgrade my client to 4.7 the resets will go away with the use of the minimal ROM. It was nice to be able to run TomTom without having to reset my Treo to free up the dbcache used by GoodLink.
    I do not know anything about but if it used ActivSync and you pulled AirSAM modules from the custom ROM it may be the problem. A Wild A-- Guess
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg
    I do not know anything about but if it used ActivSync and you pulled AirSAM modules from the custom ROM it may be the problem. A Wild A-- Guess
    Thanks but GoodLink doesn't use ActivSync.

I found my problem. I had Lightwav5 in my custom "full" ROM and now when I used the "minimal" ROM, Lightwav5 crashes when running from the RAM with GoodLink running. Not sure what the problem is but I think it might be old settings still within Palm OS's "saved prefs" file. Entry within it might be still pointing to the ROM area where Lightwav5 used to be when I used the custom "full" ROM. When I remove Lightwav5 everything works fine. I can live without Lightwav5 for now... gained about 2 MB of dbcache! yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Why do we need huge gobs of dbCache if the OS manages it correctly (as it seems to be doing, finally, after the latest update)?
    Yes update 1.20 done handle dbcache a lot better, but:

I've got DBCache Tool to Auto Clear if Free is below 2MB and/or Max is less than 1MB.

I've just done a Resco Backup and Verify. After the Verify finished DBCache cut in a had to do an Auto Clear. Another 2MB of dbCache would have stopped DBCache cutting in.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    paqmaster - do you ever get to a point where TomTom will not load at all and you have to hard reset to free up dbcache? Since I never see any posts about this I wonder what I am doing that causes this. I run Goodlink and the only time I can get it and TT to run together is for a few times after a hard reset (sometimes it has to be a zero out). But then something happens over time and even a soft reset will not free up the NVFS space for TT - just gives me a db space error. Anyway, I went with a minimal ROM yesterday and am hoping this helps out with this issue. Anyone else seeing anything like this? And I have the DBCache tool - but even it doesn't help when I get into that state.

I have two reasons why I need as much dbcache as I can get right now on my Treo 650...

TomTom
    GoodLink

With both of these running I need about 8 MB of total dbcache... TomTom needs ~2 MB and GoodLink needs ~6 MB of "Largest free chunck" dbcache... so just having enough total free dbcache is not enough for my situation. I also need most of that free dbcache to be in "largest free chunck".
    yep.
    krock,

I dont have that problem (and I run TT, Goodlink and Ptunes...3 big hogs). I do occassionally get so that even Dbcache will not free up enough Max Alloc (ie <2mb), but all I need to fix that is a soft reset.

btw, what firmware version are you using?
    krock,

I haven't had any issues with running TomTom after launching GoodLink as long as I have more then 2 MB of largest free chunk in dbcache.

Here are few things I've done to maximize my free dbcache:

1. use minimal ROM (increased my overall dbcache by about 2 MB).
    2. right after a soft reset I run the new "MemoryInfo 1.1" and run the "Flush DBCache (MemFill)" command. This does a much better job then dbcache tool at freeing up dbcache. Right after this, I run GoodLink then repeat the same flush command from MemoryInfo again to get the maximum dbcache.

Doing this gives me ~8.5 MB of total free and ~5 MB of largest free chunk within dbcache. Once in awhile I still have to do a soft rest since my largest free chunk in dbcache goes below 2 MB even after running the flush command in MemoryInfo... but I don't do this very often, especially after install my minimal ROM.
    i finally did the my very own custom rom with the FAT32 driver and my results are:
    2 gig ATP card w/ data BEFORE FAT32 : 584

2 gig ATP card w/ data AFTER FAT32 : 985 !!( did not format the card to FAT32 though, just left it at 16)

i really see an improvment ,and since reading mmastrac's article i went back and stripped my ROM even father so as to help dbcache,still testing this out though, when all is said and done i'm glad i went through the trouble, making your own rom isnt hard if you just follow the instructions.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    As of 2 days ago I am running fw 1.13 with FAT32 (minimal ROM). This got me ~2Mb more NVFS as well, so I am hoping for the best. Still, think I will go find "MemoryInfo 1.1" and give it a shot, since ultimately it is the free chunk that is getting me, not free NVFS. thanks!
    yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by krock
    ultimately it is the free chunk that is getting me, not free NVFS. thanks!
    If you are taking Dynamic free chunk, then try UDMH as it will release a lot of Dynamic memory.

I've proved this with PalmPDF
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Woohoo! First thing is that MemoryInfo works.

Now the story: I launched Initiate this morning, which I have noticed causes me to get into the aforementioned condition very quickly - sure enough no more TomTom, even after a soft reset. At first MemoryInfo was not fixing it, even though it claimed to have 4Mb+ largest free chunk. I then removed Initiate from RAM altogether, soft reset, the ran the flush (memfill) and now I can run TomTom and Goodlink at the same time.

I do not understand why this worked, but this is what I have wanted since I bought TomTom, so I am a happy man.

My next wish is for Palm to release a fw with this included -am I just being greedy??
    yep.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I found my problem. I had Lightwav5 in my custom "full" ROM and now when I used the "minimal" ROM, Lightwav5 crashes when running from the RAM with GoodLink running. Not sure what the problem is but I think it might be old settings still within Palm OS's "saved prefs" file. Entry within it might be still pointing to the ROM area where Lightwav5 used to be when I used the custom "full" ROM. When I remove Lightwav5 everything works fine. I can live without Lightwav5 for now... gained about 2 MB of dbcache! yeah!
    Great news!

I can't put it off any longer. I'm gonna have to get me one of them custom roms!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast