Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Anyone know if there is an eval available for Navigator 5?

I've been using Mapopolis and I just can't stand the interface, the Tom Tom interface looks better from the screen shots, but I'd like to try it out before buying.

I've already have a BT GPS I've been using with a PPC device (sucks for a PDA, nice for presentations and GPS) so all I really need is the software.

I did download the PRC file for Tom Tom and it loads fine, but no maps to test with.

Any info appreciated!
    Sorry, but none available as far as I'm aware. The interface is great. Tom Tom navigator is more stable on my Treo 650 than on my Tungsten T3, which has many fatal resets running Tom Tom, the Treo just works!

I've used Tom Tom for 18 months now on Palms, 9 of them on the Treo, and covered approx. 35,000 miles without getting lost. It is worth it. Go buy.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    It is only $159 in Palm.com(after 20% off and 20% coupon). (Map + BT GPS device)

TOMTOM5 in treo 650 is better than Mapopolis Palm OS version. If you wanna try it and don't feel guity, also will definitly buy it or delete it later on, you can find the TT5 in edonkey.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    TT rocks, seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    It is only $159 in Palm.com(after 20% off and 20% coupon). (Map + BT GPS device)

TOMTOM5 in treo 650 is better than Mapopolis Palm OS version. If you wanna try it and don't feel guity, also will definitly buy it or delete it later on, you can find the TT5 in edonkey.
    I was wondering, where do you find this 20% off coupon? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I just bought the TomTom Nav 5 for $300 and love it. Then I noticed that the palmstore has their version for $159. I bought that and am going to return the tomtom. Use this coupon code for the 20% off: PLMREG Get this for $159...it'll be the best money spent bar none.
    I tried the PLMREG code at the palm.com store and it's not working with the 199 special. :-(
    Ahh! It does work. I went to Palm.com and went into the "TREO store" rather than the Palm store. Bingo!
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses!

FWIW:
    The GPS Chipset in the Palm kit is SiRF II, where the Tom Tom version is SiRF III.
    So if you want to use the new "instant on" features that SiRF just released, you need the SiRFIII reciever. They do have plans to support the version II model, but no release date has been set AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

I'm sure Palm will update the reciever at some point, but it might help explain the cost difference between the Palm and Tom Tom versions.

Here's a link describing the instant on features:
    http://www.quote.com/qc/news/story.aspx?story=55058355
    Last edited by jberger; 02/07/2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Add link
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Dang, I sure wish I would've posted here first before buying the palm version. It takes a long to get a signal lock with the tomtom. If the palm version takes longer I may have to rethink this purchase.

Oh, one last thing. Where did you find the info that the palm version uses the SiRF II version vs the III? I looked and looked and when I bought the palm version I couldn't find any specific specs on it. Thanks.
    Last edited by boneycat; 02/07/2006 at 03:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    The TT software is one of the best software applications I've ever used! Can't recommend it enough!
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    boneycat:

The Tom Tom site lists the Navigator 5 GPS as SiRF Star III:
    http://www.tomtom.com/lib/download/...ertechspecs.pdf

The SiRF II reference for the Palm GPS Kit I pulled from Treonauts which lists it as a SiRFII: http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/10/five_treo_650_g.html
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    wow great article...makes this a hard decision.
    I have used GPS for more than 6 years. I just wanna let you know that so far and also in the near future there will not be any instant-on GPS, theorically. The cold start fixing time almost takes more than 30 secs, some times even a few minutes, maybe even forever. SFIII chips didn't provide much difference from SFI at all (I have both at hand, I didn't see any difference, it is all about business.)

But I do find a way to provide instant-on. My GPS is in charge and receive singal in my car all the time and it was never turned off. So everytime I get into my car and hook up the GPS, it get fix instantly. The only catch here is DON'T buy those "SMART" GPS, which stops receiving signal once the connection between PDA and GPS is lost.

Will the GPS deplete your car battery? Maybe, it will take a regular class II bluetooth GPS 80~90 days to deplete a ford 500 full charged battery.(Also theorically, since ford 500 has the protection against battery full depletion.)
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    The article on Treonauts indicates that there is not much difference in actual use between the TomTom bundle (SFIII) and Palm bundle (SFII). Since the difference between the two, after Palm discounts, is huge, I am giving Palm's bundle a shot.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Thanks cellneuron, I may yet again rethink this in favor of the palm version now. At almost half the cost of the tomtom I think it'll be worth it.