1.    #1  
    Boy..what a weak spot in these units. My coat caught under the belt clip pouch and flipped it off, picked it up and felt like throwing out the window when I saw the screen. Second time in 3 months, bye bye lockline. They canceled my insurance (2nd mishap). Just as well, signed up with State Farm's PAP.

Lockline had me fill out paperwork and get it notarized, took 10 days to get another phone. I ordered a nutshell belt loop case with a tab top to prevent it from happening again. Both times the belt clip popped off my belt.

I called to see if they received my paperwork and the CS rep said they had received over 700 claims in the mail that morning! I know those are all various model phones, but I was amazed at the amount of insurance claims submitted.

No more belt clips for me.
    DJ
    Why would you think that the screen would NOT be a weak spot on the phone?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Why do you say the screen is a weak spot? Many people have dropped their Treos and they still have good screens. It doesn't break everytime it is dropped. On the contrary, I'll bet they break only on a small minority of the drops.

If anything is a weak spot in the Treo, it is the headset jack. It's important to be careful with that.
  4.    #4  
    "Why would you think that the screen would NOT be a weak spot on the phone?"

I agree with you..lol. Thought my point was it breaks easily when dropped.

"Why do you say the screen is a weak spot?"

It has pushed off my belt maybe 4-5 times in 1.5 years, resulted in 2 cracked screens. Both times the phone was in its pouch. Seems like a weak spot to me. YMMV, but I never cracked a screen on any other phone.

DJ
    I've dropped mine a few times, not very far and usually on carpet. No visible damage yet!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Looks like you actually have bad luck with belt clips.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Looks like you actually have bad luck with belt clips.
    Yep..I wouldn't call it good luck..lol. Thats why my next case is a belt loop style. First drop was on a concrete floor. I'm guessing anyone's Treo may not handle many 3.5' drops to concrete. Second time was to vinyl tile. So as I said above YMMV. Never had a broken phone before the Treo.
    DJ
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Bad Karma!!! I have dropped mine more times than I care to remember, sratches, gouges, and nicks but no cracked screen. I do not use a case, prefer the naked treo to any case I have seen or tried.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Dropped mine from ear height onto the concrete sidewalk in Manhattan. I could swear it bounced! No cracks. Not even a scratch. I dont use a case either. Just lucky I guess.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Dropped mine from ear height onto the concrete sidewalk in Manhattan. I could swear it bounced! No cracks. Not even a scratch. I dont use a case either. Just lucky I guess.
    Wish I was that lucky..lol. Might be just bad luck . It is fustrating that I never drop it out of the case, the only time it falls is when I'm trying to get behind equipment I work on and something catches on it. I think the belt loop case will solve the problem, at least it can't pop of my belt anymore. So had to invest $60 for a case I should have ordered in the first place, could have saved a couple deductables too..lol.
    DJ
    Innopocket hard case...
    i have an inpocket silicone case..no protection of the screen...uh oh
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

I have a leather case, Piel Frama, and dropped it about 3 feet on pavement, breaking screen. This is my second insurance claim in about 6 months. I wonder how many it will take before they revoke my insurance.

I am going to have to re-evaluate how I carry my Treo.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Why do you say the screen is a weak spot?
    Out of all the 'spots' on a treo, I would think that the glass is easiest to break over the plastic case (I haven't heard of anyone dropping a treo and breaking the case in half or on the corner?)

Many people have dropped their Treos and they still have good screens. It doesn't break everytime it is dropped. On the contrary, I'll bet they break only on a small minority of the drops.
    I didn't say that the treo breaks a lot. Just because a treo doesnt break a lot when people drop it does not mean that out of all the spots on the treo, that the glass is not the weakest.

If anything is a weak spot in the Treo, it is the headset jack. It's important to be careful with that.
    I haven't seen too many posts where someone drops the treo and the headset jack inside the casing breaks (unless your talking about the treo having a headset plugged in and it hits on that headset).

Remember he is talking about damage that occurs when you drop it...not what is mostly to break on a treo in general. My point is that it sounds unreasonable to expect a phone with a 2x2 inch piece of glass NOT to break if you drop it on a relatively hard surface. :-)

As an aside, I dropped my 6600 on concrete about a week ago. It has roughly a 3x2" piece of glass. It didn't break and only scratched the plastic by the earpiece (and I FULLY expected it to be cracked and broken).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Well certainly any glass screen is a "weak spot" in any electronic device. However, if you define hardware weak spots, it would be some part that has an unusually high failure rate. I wouldn't say the screen is any weaker than other devices with glass screens. But, the headset jack and perhaps the keyboard on the Treo seem to have high failure rates.
    Why not keep it in your front pocket? That is what I do. I keep the glass turned inward toward my leg. No worries of it falling off my belt, and the screen is protected.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Well certainly any glass screen is a "weak spot" in any electronic device. However, if you define hardware weak spots, it would be some part that has an unusually high failure rate. I wouldn't say the screen is any weaker than other devices with glass screens. But, the headset jack and perhaps the keyboard on the Treo seem to have high failure rates.
    I agree and your first sentence was my point. It's a glass screen. I don't think it's reasonable to expect it not to break if you drop it on a hard surface. The OP said: Boy..what a weak spot in these units. <--And I say it is (and as you point out, it probably is on any electronic device.)