Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have read so many different reviews on the variety of options in GPS units for the Treo 650. It is very confusing!!

Which one is the best?[
    There is no one "best". Same for absolutely everything in life. Ultimately you will need to make a choice of the options that best suit your needs.
    Adam West
  3.    #3  
    Do you have one?
    Folks here seem to like the GlobalStat BT-338, i.Trek M3, Royaltek RBT-2010. I have the BT-338 and think it's great. It grabs a signal fairly quick and has very good battery life. How do you intend to use a GPS? In the same car all the time or in different situations? Many here like an all-in-one mount and GPS for in-car use. I go for mobility. Do a search here and you'll find a bunch of information. Whatever you get, make sure it has the SiRF III chipset. Odds are if it doesn't say it has that then it probably doesn't.
    I wanted an "all in one" solution and used the following:

Seidio G2350S - http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=188
    Proclip Mount - http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...d=&p_year=2005

Reasons:

SiRF III chipset
    All-in-one device
    Allows incoming calls to BT headset and returns to GPS function automatically.
    Treo charges while in cradle
    Treo fits in cradle with e-grips

What's included?

* G2350M cradle
    * Cigarette lighter DC power cord
    * 8" super strong suction windshield pedestal
    * Air vent pedestal
    * 360 degree swivel adapter
    * Locking plate
    * TomTom 5.1 Navigation Software

I found the weight of the treo rotated my vents when using the vent mount., the windshield mount looked like a "ticket in waiting" so I spring for the $29 Proclip mount. Regarding the ProClip, I didn't remove the tape covering the adhesive backing as I wanted to be able to easily remove. Fit is still tight with no issues.
    If your looking for a bluetooth GPS reciever, you can't beat Seidio's BT GPS. I am still amazed how fast it acquires a signal.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks JackN. and Coppertop for the very useful feedback!!
  8.    #8  
    One more question for Jack... does that Seidi 2350 have voice guided directions or do I have to go up to the 4500?
  9.    #9  
    correction.... make that the 4850 for the upgrade with the speaker??
    Delorme Blue Logger works great for me. Plus, besides navigation, you can use it to log your path and then pull it up on your computer later. Great for monitor kids.

When navigating, I use it with TomTom and it works great. Quick starts and very accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by lhowe
    One more question for Jack... does that Seidi 2350 have voice guided directions or do I have to go up to the 4500?
    The 2350 is primarily intended fro GSM users who want full Blue tooth functionality. The sound comes from the Treo Speaker. The 4850 sends it's signal to a cradle speaker.

Following is from 4850 review on TC.

"I'm a big fan of Bluetooth headsets, so I was really bummed that you cannot use a Bluetooth headset while the Treo is in the G4850M cradle if you are a GSM user (T-Mobile or Cingular). This issue does not affect Sprint and Verizon Treo owners. If you want to use a Bluetooth headset instead of the G4850M's speakerphone, you will want something like the G2350S car kit that has GPS abilities but no speaker. "

Like the reviewer I have no problem hearing anything out of the Treo speaker.

See http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/725-1.htm for the 2350
    See http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/710-1.htm for the 4850

Here's the 2350 installed on the ProClip mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/07/2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added photo
  12.    #12  
    Okay, I FINALLY have the big picture. Yes, you are right with the G2350!!
  13.    #13  
    But what about those of us that are CDMA users? What happens then with a call both on the Seidio 2350 and the 4850?
    But what about those of us that are CDMA users? What happens then with a call both on the Seidio 2350 and the 4850?
    Did ya read the two TC reviews ? If ya did and didn't get it....

In short, if you want full BT functionality, GSM users should choose the 2350 and then they can take calls w/o losing TomTom and having to restart it. This I can confirm thru actual usage.

CDMA users can sue the 2350 or 4850, the 4850 has the advantage of an cradle speaker facing you. In the 2350 the Treo speaker faces away from you.

From the referenced 2359 article:

"When I reviewed the Seidio G4850 Car Kit, the only issue I had with it was that you could not use a Bluetooth headset with a GSM Treo 650 that was in the cradle. Seidio has since released the G2350S GPS Car Kit that removes the cradle's internal speaker, making Bluetooth conversations available again. Does the loss of the speaker mean a loss of usability? Thankfully no. "

When I got the G2350S, I was concerned about voice commands since it would be using the Treo's speaker. I am happy to report that voice commands were surprisingly clear and I could still hear them over my radio's volume as long as I wasn't listening to something like "Highway to Hell" (since you have to crank up the car stereo for that song). You can adjust the volume in Tom Tom Navigator by tapping in the bottom-left of the screen. This also repeats the last voice command.

If you receive a call while using Tom Tom Navigator, the normal incoming call screen appears on the Treo's screen. After completing the call, Tom Tom returns and continues on like normal. If you want to make a call, you have to press the Phone button, make your call, then manually launch Tom Tom Navigator to continue your trip. I suggest adding a Quick Launch icon on your Treo's Phone application for the Tom Tom Navigator program so you can quickly launch it from the Phone screen

The Seidio G2350 Car Kit is the perfect car kit for Treo 650 users that want to use a Bluetooth headset instead of speakerphone. I use it every time I need to go somewhere new, and everybody that I have showed this package to wants one. Of course the G2350S will only work in the car, so users that want to be able to leave the car behind and do some hiking or biking will need to look at one of the other GPS bundles available.

From the refernced 4850 article:

The voice commands tell you when to turn and aren't overused, so they don't become annoying. Voice commands were strong and clearly heard over my radio's volume. You can adjust the volume using the volume dial on the G4850M and also in Tom Tom Navigator by tapping in the bottom-left of the screen.

The GPS capabilities of the G4850M gets most people's attention, but the cradle can also serves as a speakerphone. The external mic cable can be hooked onto your car's visor and provided mixed results. I left a few voicemails on my answering machine and found that my voice was clearly heard but engine noise was loud as well, so the mic does not seem to cancel noise very well. The speaker provided clear output of the other caller, but it was necessary to turn up the volume of the cradle in order to hear the other caller.

I'm a big fan of Bluetooth headsets, so I was really bummed that you cannot use a Bluetooth headset while the Treo is in the G4850M cradle if you are a GSM user (T-Mobile or Cingular). This issue does not affect Sprint and Verizon Treo owners. If you want to use a Bluetooth headset instead of the G4850M's speakerphone, you will want something like the G2350S car kit that has GPS abilities but no speaker.
  15.    #15  
    Yes, I DID read the articles.

Maybe I just haven't been doing this as long, thus my confusion! But my system is CDMA NOT GSM, which is the same as Sprint or Verison, and the article says that this effects the GSM user and I presume NOT the CDMA, to quote:

"I was really bummed that you cannot use a Bluetooth headset while the Treo is in the G4850M cradle if you are a GSM user (T-Mobile or Cingular). This issue does not affect Sprint and Verizon Treo owners. If you want to use a Bluetooth headset instead of the G4850M's speakerphone, you will want something like the G2350S car kit that has GPS abilities but no speaker."

So, I am a little confused by Jack's reply:
    "CDMA users can sue the 2350 or 4850, the 4850 has the advantage of an cradle speaker facing you. In the 2350 the Treo speaker faces away from you"

What exactly does that mean??
    I think he is referring to the built-in speaker on the Treo itself, which is on the back side (below the camera lens). The 4850 cradle has its own speaker on the front and its own volume control, so the sound is much better (and easier to hear and adjust) than relying on the Treo speaker.

As to the bluetooth headset, it does work with the 4850 cradle and CDMA phones (I have the 4850 with a Verizon Treo 650).
  17.    #17  
    So, really for CDMA phone, you will be able to use a BT headset while the Treo is in the cradle? Do I finally have it right?

AND, if I decide to go wireless with the Seidio 2010, then does that mean I can't use my BT headset, even on CDMA?
    So, I am a little confused by Jack's reply:
    "CDMA users can sue the 2350 or 4850, the 4850 has the advantage of an cradle speaker facing you. In the 2350 the Treo speaker faces away from you"

What exactly does that mean??
    You remember your logic classes. If all bazungas are floperknockers that doesn't mean all floperknockers bazungas

So just because GSM users have to use the 2350 to keep all BT functionality, that doesn't mean that CDMA users must use the 4850.

Short version:

CDMA users can use both w/o any impact on BT.
    GSM users will lose soem BT capability witht he 4850.

Long version:

CDMA users can use the 4850 which has the forward facing speaker as, since they are CDMA, this will have no effect on bluetooth operation. GSM users will lose some BT functionality because of the speaker.

GSM users can use the 2350 w/o any impact on BT cause there is no speaker in the cradle. CDMA users can also use the 2350 if they don't care about using the speaker in the cradle.

In essence, nly difference you as a 4850 user, will see is with 4850 sound comes outta da cradle speaker facing you. With 2350 sound will come outta da Treo speaker which faces away from you. As the reviewer said, no discernable impact.
  19.    #19  
    So, really for CDMA phone, you will be able to use a BT headset while the Treo is in the cradle? Do I finally have it right?

AND, if I decide to go wireless with the Seidio 2010, then does that mean I can't use my BT headset, even on CDMA?
    OK, now that I have it straight that either the 2350 or the 480 can be used by the CDMA format, where does that leave me if I choose to go with the wireless receiver the 2010? What happens with the BT headset in that case.

Sorry about all of the questions, but I am VERY new to all of this. I do appreciate all of your help!!
    where does that leave me if I choose to go with the wireless receiver the 2010? What happens with the BT headset in that case.
    In my experience, the 650's implementation of BT allows for only one functioning / active BT device at a time. One person on the forum has claimed three. From what I have recall of most users experience here on the forum, when they receive a call, they turn off TomTom, take the call....then reverse the steps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast