Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    We have a user that wants to be able to use his Treo 650 both in Israel and in the US. I have gotten conflicting answers from support whether he can just switch SIM cards appropriately.

The unit is unlocked so the only question is whether good will have a problem if he switches SIM cards.
    he will need to reprov when he switches sims
    I'm in the same exact situation and I just ran the reprov command and now it's stuck on the conecting window in the Goodlink setup screen.
    Now I just re-downloaded OTA and it's telling me that my e-mail address is already setup on another handheld.
    A month later and I'm having the same issue. Why does it tie to the sim?
    What about people that travel overseas often?
    I have a similar issue. One of my US domestic employees (Treo600 on Sprint/CDMA) is traveling to London next week. I pull a spare (Treo600 on T-Mobile/GSM) out of the closet and go to install GL. Whoops, apparently the same user cannot have two devices!

Do I have any options besides deleting their current account and creating/installing on the GSM phone. If that is my only option then they have to walk around with two phones for a week (CDMA for calls and GSM for GL). I can forward calls from the CDMA to GSM at 10 cents/minute, OUCH!

The other option that I know about is to create another user/email account and forward her normal account to the secondary and then set up GL with the secondary user/email.

Lastly I could install BizConn on the GSM, but I would rather them have the benefits of GL.

I'm looking for a better option. GoodGuy?
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I never found a good option. Either I needed 2 user IDs, or to fully delete the user etc. NOT an option, I can't tell an Exec to do anything other then switch the SIMS. We now have people carrying around multiple phones! It really is a pathetic situation. GoodLink needs to give us the option to have multiple SIM cards on one account. I presume it is for securtiy reasons they don't allow it but maybe we can give a specific authorization.
    Agreed. We need to be able to work with this option. Deleted and creating new accounts and vice versa is too much administrative overhead.
    Simpsonized
    Guys,

This is a security feature with GoodLink. They only tie one email address to one unique device ID (ESN on CDMA Treos, IMSI on GSM SIM cards). That makes sure that someone in the mailroom can't provision their Treo with the CEO's email account. Yes it's a pain (especially when Verizon or Sprint Treos get replaced and the accounts need to be recreated), but I would rather have that than risk having my mail on someone else's device.

If the dual SIMs are such a priority, as noted, an option would be to create a second account (& mask the primary SMTP alias to the first account). Set up an auto-forward rule from account 1 when traveling abroad to go to account 2. Any replies from the Treo should go out as coming from the address of account 1.

Again, not pretty, but what do you really want - secure delivery of mail or convenience?
    I want both! And if a mailclerk can break into my GL Server, I have other problems.

My CEO carries two phones. He needs the same email on both. I should not have to tell him that there is an arbitrary GL system limitation on provisioning two devices.

Almost 20% of my company has cell phones. I need the flexibility to administer those accounts MY WAY, not GoodLink's way.

GoodLink needs to let me worry about user security, they can focus on AES.
    Simpsonized
    I don't disagree. I would like both as well. Just to be fair, know that your mailclerk would only need your CEO's email address and GoodLink PIN (his OTA email printed out on his desk perhaps...), not to crack your GoodLink server.

Think of where security is going on laptops (biometrics on ThinkPads), PIN generators you carry to access VPNS (one you have, one you know I think it's called...). Those types of things are set up to limit who can access what. I guess GoodLink didn't want people crying to them about it being easy to get mail on multiple devices.

What would happen if the Treo was lost? You could send a remote wipe command, but then GoodLink would have to figure out which IMSI or ESN to whack which would add server overhead.

No matter what, it would be nice if GoodLink would add the multitude of features that people have been asking for for years. I am okay with this one, but if multiple GoodLink devices could be provisioned for one account, I am sure you would be one of many happy to see it happen. I just wouldn't hold my breath...

Maybe whenever Microsoft gets their MSFT running, we can look back at this and laugh...
    Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad
    I'm looking for a better option. GoodGuy?
    Since Goodguy isn't replying to this thread, does anyone know a solution to this? The annoyance of having the Good admin delete my profile and readding me every time I travel makes the software more of a burden.
    Reproving does not work.
    Unfortunatley you know of the only supported solution. The way GoodLink is designed will not let multiple device serial numbers tie to one email account.

The only other workaround would be to create a 2nd email account and set up rules to copy all mail from the 1st account to the 2nd and provision the other SIM card to the 2nd email acct.

I expect since there isn't anything else to say from an official standpoint, GoodGuy doesn't have anything else to offer.
    To use multiple SIMs, you have to reprovision. Our product roadmap does have the ability to support multiple devices on a single account, which should alleviate this problem. No time frame on that feature, but my guess is towards the end of the year.
    Woo Hoo! Let's hear it for the Product Roadmap!
    Simpsonized
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    To use multiple SIMs, you have to reprovision. Our product roadmap does have the ability to support multiple devices on a single account, which should alleviate this problem. No time frame on that feature, but my guess is towards the end of the year.
    Thanks for the response. Is there a specific way to reprovision that it would work with another SIM?
    Using the reprov command never appears to work.
    Well, I can confirm that the reprov did not work with the new sim card and trying to redownload the app didn't work either because i got the "it's already installed on another computer/handheld".

This is really rediculous. For those of travelling overseas alot, we need the capability to switch sim cards. I understand the security implications, but there must be a way around it, i.e. secondary password or something else. Carrying 2 phones around, which is what i'm doing is just absurd. And the IT administrator should not have to spend a tremendous amount of time trying to figure this out.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Well, I can confirm that the reprov did not work with the new sim card and trying to redownload the app didn't work either because i got the "it's already installed on another computer/handheld".

This is really rediculous. For those of travelling overseas alot, we need the capability to switch sim cards. I understand the security implications, but there must be a way around it, i.e. secondary password or something else. Carrying 2 phones around, which is what i'm doing is just absurd. And the IT administrator should not have to spend a tremendous amount of time trying to figure this out.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Yup, it's terrible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast