1.    #1  
    I thought it would be a nice feature to hotsync over the internet. If I was 500 miles from my computer, it could just connect to my desktop (assuming it is on) and hotsync itself.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.
    Yes, hotsyncing to a PC behind NAT

- Assign a private static IP address to the PC (e.g. 192.168.1.2).
    - Configure the router to forward TCP/UDP ports 14237 and 14238 to the
    static IP address.
    - On the Palm, in Hotsync | Primary PC Setup, enter "!!" into the Primary PC Name and enter the router's external IP into Primary PC Address.

If you don't use "!!" as the Primary PC Name, then every time you Hotsync
    the Primary PC Name will get overwritten with the DNS or Windows name of your PC and the Primary PC Address will get overwritten with the private IP address of the PC.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    Sorry for the dumb questions, but how do I assign a private static ip address to my computer? I am behind a router and I already have VNC set, which is a remote desktop utility. My router has an ip address. What I do with VNC is just connect to my router and I set up my router to forward those ports to my desktop.

So could I use my current IP, or do I need to set up an additional ip for my desktop?

I already have 192.168.X.XXX

Also, what connection mode do I use to do this? Local? Modem?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ben johnson; 02/06/2006 at 01:43 PM.
    If you have VNC setup already just redirect these ports and setup the hotsync software and you should be ready to go. Be prepared, it is slow.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

5.    #5  
    What connection mode do I use? Local? Modem?

Thanks.
    Network

7.    #7  
    Thanks a lot, got it working. Damn this is pretty slow.
    Yep. But if you are 500 miles away...

Great info, thanks for thw writeup
    I think I got the information entered correctly on both my home PC and on the treo, but everytime I try to hotsync, I get an error that says "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application." Anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or what needs to be changed?
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750