1.    #1  
    This is a pretty nice application with one MAJOR downside. It takes between 2 and 3 minutes to RIP one song! That's insane. So a CD with 12-15 songs will take about 30 minutes to rip! Is this normal for ripping ogg files? If not, is there another free application that can do this a little faster?

If not, it's going to take me all week to rip my cd collection! It won't be a big deal once I'm done with my initial ripping (it's no big deal to rip new cds, but ripping the one library at once is tedious!) Thanks.
    dBpowerAmp used to be free I think, has a 30 day trial now, but works really well. Can't remember how long it took for a full CD though
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    dBPowerAmp was the fastest I've ever used. There's been a new version of the .ogg drivers though, so I don't know if it's any quicker.

I rip my .oggs with QMP. It's probably about 30 minutes too. I just listen to the CD while it rips, so I'm not too stressed about it.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    AudioGrabber works for oggs as well. Not sure how long it takes, since I haven't timed it. It's also free.
    CDEX (time depends on the audio quality setting used)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    dBPowerAmp was the fastest I've ever used. There's been a new version of the .ogg drivers though, so I don't know if it's any quicker.

I rip my .oggs with QMP. It's probably about 30 minutes too. I just listen to the CD while it rips, so I'm not too stressed about it.
    That's mainly what I was looking for...to see if other software took the same amount of time. I was wondering if it was just FreeRip or if it was common. I'll guess this is just a week-long process (I don't hover over the computer...I usually plop one in and start the process and check back every 20 or so minutes).

Thanks.
    CDEX is what I use as well, works great and completly free. Speed depends on Q setting and your CPU horsepower.
    Everything you ever wanted to know about ripping CDs can be found here. Though I haven't joined their sharing "club", I've followed these instructions and have been VERY happy with the quality of the MP3s I've gotten. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $are$ $instructions$ $for$ .$ogg$ $file$ $ripping$ $too$, $if$ $you$'$re$ $so$ $inclined$.

Note that the point is not for SMALLER, it's for SMALLER but great-sounding. SD cards are plummeting in price (Amazon currently has the SanDisk UltraII 2GB card for $88) so I'm much more concerned with ripping a file that sounds good on my portable MP3 CD player, my car MP3 CD player, my Treo, my Prismiq, my PC.....whereever.

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650