webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm OS Devices & Apps > HELP!!! Need utility to fix bad sectors on SD card!
HELP!!! Need utility to fix bad sectors on SD card!

Old 02/05/2006, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok, I need some serious help here please!

I don't know WTF happenned, but some how my A-DATA 2GB card has become totally corrupted. I was trying to delete something from the SD card using FileZ on my Treo 650 when the Treo suddenly just froze. I was trying to delete a file in the /palm/launcher folder on the card. I had to soft reset the Treo, but when I went back to Filez to see if the file had been deleted, I found that the entire /palm/launcher folder had been erased!!!! ARHHH!!!

Fortunately, I had a backup copy of my SD card on my computer, so I figured I would just restore by copying back the /palm/launcher folder to the SD card via my card reader. But when I tried to do that, I got a bunch of "cannot copy" errors. I went to the /palm/launcher folder on the card on my desktop and saw a bunch of "zero bit" files. I know sometimes files can be corrupted this way. I tried to delete the files, but could not. I tried to repair the Sd card using Norton Disk utility, but that app is a piece of sh!t and didn't do anything! I then tried to reformat the card using the following command in dos prompt:

FORMAT G: /V:CARD /FS:FAT /X

But when I go to the sd card properties, it shows 1.8GB card with only ~approx 1GB free and the rest occupied by BAD SECTORS!!! I tried to then reformat normally via XP and got the same results?!

I also tried to search all over the net for a disk repair util that can fix bad sectors, but they all cost like hundreds of dollars?! Can some one PLEASE help me find a utility of procedure to fix this??!

I don't want to return the card b/c this is actually the SECOND time this has happenned if you can belive that! The first time was just a couple days ago, so I sent a RMA on the 2GB ADATA card I was using. I didn't mind b/c I had a spare 2GB card and thought it was just a freak error. But this is the second time this has happenned in a few days! I THINK MY TREO IS EATING MY SD CARD! I'm not sure if this is a defect in the ADATA card or the Treo, more likely the latter b/c I have not heard anyone else having this problem.

Regardless, I need to fix this now b/c my Treo would be completely usless without a working SD card. So can anyone please refer me to a way to repair BAD sectors on a SD card and remove the 0 bit files off the card?!!!

thanks...

Current device: Palm Pre
Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Gaurav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2006, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

What? Not even one view?!! C'mon folks... need some help here...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Old 02/06/2006, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

My tool of choice for all things disk related has always been SpinRite available on Steve Gibson's site but I wouldn't know how to use it to access an SD card ?

http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

The only thing I can think of is if ya got one of those floppy drives with built in card reader....if they connect the card to the floppy MoBo interface perhaps you can access it but I am stretching here. The program isn't cheap but you can downlaod older versions at no cost. All tversion 6 provides is NTFS capability. See this page:

http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

Another option might be Partition magic....but I don't have my treo in here to see if it will "find" the SD card. Looking now it only sees hard disks.

If those aren't handy.....I have seen a few windows based tools such as PCinspector , Recovery Manager (seems like best bet) and F Recovery...should be able to low level format with one of these.

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm
http://www.soft3k.com/F-Recovery-for-SD-p2838.htm
http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
JackNaylorPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2006, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks... I try to use those tools as well. So far, I think I've download half a dozen shareware/freeware but mostly crapware and nothing has helped. I can't even get the Treo to recog the card right now!! ARHHHH!!!

Old 02/06/2006, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

No luck on the F-Recovery, I thot for sure a low level format in a PC acrd reader would work.
JackNaylorPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2006, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

You are dealing with nanotech on a subatomic particle level, who knows what gremlins are getting in the way? It’s a postage stamp size device with a gigabyte of storage for Christ sake. It’s not like you can take it apart to see what the problem is. When these things go south, and they are not guaranteed, just flip it into the rubbish bin. That’s the cost of being on the bleeding edge of technology.
eafenyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2006, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, as bad as it sounds, I'm going to have to agree with eafenyes on this one. I thought maybe F-Recovery might help but it'll probably just be able to recover some files and not actually fix bad sectors.

Sorry, that's a bummer. Those 2GB cards aren't cheap.
hoovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2006, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am in the process of getting my 2GB card, which has a lifetime guarantee, replaced by A-data. I suggest that you get an RMA and do the same.
Old 03/08/2006, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm kinda having issues with my Corsair 133x 2GB card. I'm not sure why, but when I use it in my Powerbook G4 15 inch, it seems to read fine. I tried to copy a file over to the card and it failed (several times). Then I rebooted the machine and now the mac won't read the card. The Treo 650 still reads it fine.

This happened before a week ago. I tried it in my PC and the PC worked once, then told me it was corrupt. The way I got my data off was to use CardExport and a USB cable and patiently wait while all the data copied off through the treo cable. I tracked it down to it possibly being the USB card reader I was using. I think one of my card readers doesn't support the 2GB capacity.

After what happened this morning, however, I don't think it's the card reader anymore. The issue occurred on my mac with the good card reader...
rickhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2006, 06:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've had similar problems w/ my pny 2g sd. I re formatted which seemed to fix my read/write problems. However the card only works w/ some computers & not others. Works fine on my 700w tho.
I was hoping to use it as a thumb drive as well, but not if I can't count on it working on all comps. Anyone think my problem is related to bad sectors?
blile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2006, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

My card keeps getting corrupted by my Treo as well. I'm suspiciuos of Resco Backup (a good program by the way) though, because it keeps happening ever since I installed it. Whenever I would put my corrupted card into my Windows XP card reader it would cause the blue screen of death and reboot my computer. What finally worked for me was to reboot into doing a scandisk before windows even started...

Just curious if you're using Resco Backup as well....
wcarlson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2006, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

gfunk, I'm on my Treo so I can't do much searching right now, but do a search in the Tapland forums. I had a problem a while back and after trying several shareware apps found one that worked wonders.
Old 03/13/2006, 01:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm using BackupBuddyVFS. I don't think it's an issue with the applications, because I haven't really installed any new apps. I think it has to do with the quirkiness of the card its compatibility with the Treo. When I get some time, I will format it from a PC rather than from the Treo.
rickhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2006, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Gfunk - did you get a replacement card from Adata? I'm looking at buying their 4gb card and need to be certain they'll uphold their "Lifetime" warranty.
///dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2006, 01:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R
gfunk, I'm on my Treo so I can't do much searching right now, but do a search in the Tapland forums. I had a problem a while back and after trying several shareware apps found one that worked wonders.
Thanks Scott, but I was able to RMA the ADATA cards with Newegg. I got a Transcend 4GB card instead which is a few dollars more expensive than the 4GB ADATA branded one. The card so far works well on the 650 with FAT32 driver although I admit the write speed are disappointingly slow. But the reads are very fast and so far I have not encountered any errors (knock on wood) with the card...

Old 03/18/2006, 01:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///dom
Gfunk - did you get a replacement card from Adata? I'm looking at buying their 4gb card and need to be certain they'll uphold their "Lifetime" warranty.

Yeah, so far I've had nothing but good experiences with Newegg. The general consensus is that it's a pretty good store with great CS. The Transcend only lists a 5 yr warranty vs the lifetime with the Adata, but I've been burnt too many times to go back to Adata myself...

Old 04/18/2006, 02:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

I know it's a bit late now, but for future reference: I've had success with PC Inspector in the past.
ERicJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2006, 09:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Flash memory is very different than regular memory. It uses serial access to its cells, which are shifted out into a transfer port.

Usually, the external circuitry emulates a disk drive. Flash memory is more error prone than std RAM, so the system includes error recovery and remapping of error prone sections transparent to external drivers. After all, it just appears as a drive.

If you have recurring errors after formatting, it is not due to the OS or utitility, but simply a media problem. If you have warranty, get it replaced - else, chuck it, and save your valuable bits on something else. Don't fight it...

And thank Moore's law for the low price of GIGs - who would have thunk a decade ago ;-)

-- Harald
haralds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2009, 02:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

If you have problems with your memory card in 80% of all cases the controller of your card is damaged and no software or card reader can help. You must separate the memory chip and dump the raw data to recover your data. Search for "Recoverfab" they have the right service and show you what they do.
armadillo#CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0