1.    #1  
    Even though I have no means to measure it properly I feel like the new FW takes more toll on the battery than the previous one did.

Can anyone claim for that?

My useage patterns haven't changed much. I actually use the Treo less nowadays than those days due to work related stuff. No new software installed other than the newer versions of the same. But a normal day usage with calls now it stops where 60/ 65% battery life was left. This was usually around 75/ 80/ 85% and never went down further to 70% earlier.

This could be either due to the new FW or some other software. I do not know for sure.

Can you guys comment on this?

R
    Chan
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    Like you, I have no scientific basis for it, but a larger battery drain was really noticable to me almost immediately.

Of course, one also tends to play with the device quite a bit more right after an upgrade, so the new OS might not be the direct cause...
    Maybe your battery is just getting older? They usually last 6-12 months depending on how you charge it.

Glenn
    Could be the degrading battery, but I measured a navigation app with a standing bluetooth connection to a GPS unit in my car. It now takes about 15% / hour of battery power under 1.20/1.71 . I cannot restore v1.13, but I am pretty confident it used to take about 6%/hour. I am going to test this with a fully loaded battery again since the battery scale might not be linear.
    I also noticed the faster draining battery. As far as I can see it has nothing to do with the bluetooth functionality, it also drains faster without bluetooth on.
  6. lua
    my take is that some additional background activities is causing the addtional power consumption. the auto-dbcache-replenishment feature could be one of them (if not the one).

between stability and a shorter usage period, i'd go with the former.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    There is a noticable increase in battery drain after I have uograded to 1.20/1.71... Before I upgraded the remaining charge at the end of the day woud be 70% - 75%.. After the uograde the battery remains at 50%-55%... My usage has remained the same before and after the upgrade.... Anyone have any clue why this is happening?

650 GSM Unlocked
    Cingular
    Some have said it has to do with bluetooth. I have also noticed an increase in battery drain from 1.13 to 1.20. Of course, don't forget to redo all of those battery saving measures you had set up before the upgrade - i.e. dim the screen brightness.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  9. lua
    it could be the bluetooth, although i have very rarely used the bluetooth (before and after 1.20) and all things being equal - dim lcd and ir port off, i still notice the diff.
    I found 1.20 has battery scale weaker than 1.13. Example is at
    4160 mV - 1.20 show 98%, 1.13 show 99%
    4110 mV - 1.20 show 95%, 1.13 show 98%
    Here's a wild idea. With 1.13 our Treos were rather unstable so maybe we used them less. Now that 1.20 has made mine pretty rock stable, I tend to take it out and use it more often. "Sure, I can find the phone number for that restaurant you want to eat at" opposed to "Let's just show up and hope they have a table. I could get the number, but it is going to be a major slow hastle."
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  12. lua
    heh. most people probably spend more time if their treo is unstable, ie doing restoration, waiting for the palm logo to come up, checking to see if their treo has reset, etc.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    There was a difference in discharge rate when I applied the update, but I tracked it down to Bluetooth being listed as discoverable and IR being enabled. Once I reset those items to off, the battery seems the same as before.

So check those settings before you trash the update.
    FWIW, I don't use bluetooth, and notice a distinct difference in battery discharge rates. My battery discharges much quicker now with 1.71/1.20 ENA.

That being said, it also has not crashed in about 10 days since I updated. I'll buy an extra battery and live with it.
    Previously I didn't noticed the difference until I tried to fix MMS problem using the attached files in this POST:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564

Those 2 files eventually make the Carrier DB 255 (CC-Cap is still blank) but from that point, my battery drain very badly. I removed these 2 files now and still testing..
    Maybe some of you can try it for yourself.

I am sure there's nothing to do with Bluetooth. I never turned on BT.
    OK. I have removed the files and get back to CarrierDB 249 and recharge the battery to 4.19V 100%.
    After 5 hours using (very normal use, PIM only, no MP3, no Video, no BT, any fancy thing), Voltage drop to 3.98V. Delta Voltage is 4.19-3.98 == 0.21V. The drop ratio is 5%.
    Looks good.

Wait, but my Treo650 says it is 78% ONLY !!??? Uh ???? What wrong with the ratio ???
    There must be something wrong with the caculation.

Do you guys find the same thing like me ?? Either with 1.71 or 1.31 or 1.43 ??
  17. lua
    i don't think the % measure voltage.
    Bongarcon - The 78% measures useful battery time remaining. Your Treo will stop functioning *long* before the battery gets to 0.00V. I'm guessing that it will no longer power up once the battery gets to about 3.2V.

Also, the battery drain is probably not linear.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    OK. I see. The % does not measure the ratio of the voltage directly.
    I am still trying to find out the root cause of the power "leakage"...