158 Global Posts
    So let me get this straight..
    1. an operating system dedicated to freeware
    2. finally the potential for wifi on my 650
    3. and an all around better phone.

did i miss anything?

I'll take 2 please.
    bump - any updates on this? its been a while since we heard anything
    I wonder if the Access annoucement took the wind out of the sails? I hope not, because this looks an awful lot closer to being a reality.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have to admit, if this would work, I would buy a second Treo just to install, and test this one and eventually move to using as my primary phone. Just look at it this way, if you are running linux, then no program is out of the realm of possibility to work. All it would take is someone to write the app and their are already enough freeware Linux authors out there. I only use my Treo for a data device at this point, but being able to run a full featured web browser and email client, not that the Treo doesn't already handle email well, but a full actual email client and web browser would be a dream on a mobile device that fits into my pocket
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    (...)
    Have they mentioned if we can put swap on the SD card?
    Of course you can, but it will kill your SD card in a short time (it has a limited number of overwrites). The same is true for internal flash storage and generally all flash-type memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexx
    Of course you can, but it will kill your SD card in a short time (it has a limited number of overwrites). The same is true for internal flash storage and generally all flash-type memories.
    And if we wanted something faster than slow external media to access memory pages from (swap) then we'd... oh, I know... INCREASE RAM. Unfortunately that's not an option here. The reason I actually brought it up was more about the obvious memory limitations of this hardware, and the thought that with a true memory-protecting kernel how much promise there would be... save for the inability to load much into RAM. Lather, Rinse, Repeat...
    I'm just thinking that with Linux onboard, the trick to replace the 32MB DOC with a 64MB equivalent chip might work.....
    The openness of Linux could allow for more competitors to PALM. I remember that Jeff Hawkins in an interview stated that he believed PALM could differentiate itself from Linux competitors by making great hardware and by tweaking the software. However, the sluggish sales of the Treo 700W may be an indication that a good form factor and tweaked software may not be enough to beat the competition in a more open playing field.

With a GPL operating system the competition could potentially be much more diverse. I notice that Nokia has already launched a GPE device (Nokia 770) and this Finnish company is known for making solid hardware. Palm on the other hand… well lets just say that my Treo 600 was exchanged 5 times in 18 months because of hardware malfunctions and although the Treo 650 has been less buggy (hardware wise) the device itself is a little flimsy. I have had to change a broken antenna myself and generally the 650 feels more fragile than the 600. The Nokia phones I have had all felt solidly built.

I believe the reason Palm has good sales of the Treo, is because people are moving to smartphones and the Treo is a great smartphone but more than anything it runs lots of quality POS software. I find Datebk a good integration between Calendar and ToDo list with lots of options. Natara Bonsai is great for outlining and storing information and has great integration with my desktop. Then there is Chatter and Smartlist which I also rely on heavily. To keep the Treo momentum I strongly believe Palm should have released a Palm Cobalt OS Treo by now. This would also have enabled them to integrate the phone with IP networks through Wifi.

That Palm chose not do Wifi on the Treo is possibly not caused by an explicit request by carriers as many carriers do sell Wifi enabled smartphones. I believe Garnet may have technical problems doing Wifi, phone and PDA all at the same time. When I broke my antenna on the 650 I could still get a (albeit weak) signal to make phone calls when I was outdoors but I noticed that I got about 10 resets a day without the antenna – Garnet is just not very stable. Cobalt was built to alleviate many of the multi-tasking woes from POS 5.

If the next totally new Palm device, the Hollywood model, is based on GPE Linux (I assume this as the OS is not going to be POS) then Palm is going head on with device manufacturers like Nokia. I do like the form factor of the Treo, but in all due respect I could see how it could be improved and moreover manufacturers such as Nokia or Samsung will probably be able to produce better and more importantly several different devices more than Palm can over time.

Palm or some other device manufactuer needs to start selling devices that run POS software as this is an economically feasible user base and one of the most important reasons the Treo has been able to make it as a smart phone.
    Last edited by u_m_rasmussen; 03/15/2006 at 07:44 AM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123