Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Can you dual boot? What about a phone app under GPE?

This is awesome....
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Just one word: fabulous !

stipus
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    vkjunior,

Please let Perry out of the room. We're talking Linux here.

LOL

((And I was contentedly watching the Super Bowl in that room. . . .via my Treo, of course. JOKE, PEOPLE!)

I don't think a suitor will buy out Palm, they will buy Shadowmite, Inc!
    Hey Shadow, when ya gonna go public with shares?
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/06/2006 at 10:22 AM.
    Impressive. But I'm not interested in a desktop-sized GUI on my Treo. It'll take some effort for someone to come up with a one-hand-friendly small-screen-optimized GUI on top of Linux.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Impressive. But I'm not interested in a desktop-sized GUI on my Treo. It'll take some effort for someone to come up with a one-hand-friendly small-screen-optimized GUI on top of Linux.
    Have a look at:

http://gpe.handhelds.org/

http://handhelds.org/~gpe/gallery/vi...e=Applications

This is what they have on the Treo now and they are working on the phone app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Exactly...
    It's nice to get excited , but the real fun is after it 's well integrated like the palm os.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    This would just be too cool, just to think of having a real browser maybe! Thats exciting enough for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    LOL

((And I was contentedly watching the Super Bowl in that room. . . .via my Treo, of course. JOKE, PEOPLE!)

Sprint TV?
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Oh my goodness. Get a minimal set of working apps and I would be veeeerrry tempted to make a switch. I noticed a Linphone screen shot on the GPE site... has anyone tried it on this working build for Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Oh my goodness. Get a minimal set of working apps and I would be veeeerrry tempted to make a switch. I noticed a Linphone screen shot on the GPE site... has anyone tried it on this working build for Treo?
    I didn't see the Linphone screenshot. Where is it?

From what I have read they are trying to get a phone app working now. They think there won't be much difference between CDMA and GSM for the phone app because both use standard telephony commands.

This is getting pretty exciting now. The pool of development talent should be quite a bit larger than for Plam. I could see this start to drive part of the pda/phone industry. The developers driving the industry rather than the industry driving the developers could be very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    I didn't see the Linphone screenshot. Where is it?
    It's in the "Friends" gallery, not "Applications". I think the difference was applications that didn't require modification to run under GPE. But here's the actual shot:

http://handhelds.org/~gpe/albums/por...port_13660.png

Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    This is getting pretty exciting now. The pool of development talent should be quite a bit larger than for Plam.
    Agreed. I haven't considered this option before, but it seems there have been some folks working on other platforms for a while. I had to laugh when I saw the device shots for the old Jornada 700 -- used to work for them.

For me, the really critical thing to transform this from curiosity to an actual alternative would be to have the most important business functions working and integrated. Phone, PIM, Email, IM, Web. Deliver these basic productivity applications on a platform that doesn't constantly crash (and doesn't take a little piece of your soul each time you use it... *cough* WM) and you'd be the hero of so many.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    ...For me, the really critical thing to transform this from curiosity to an actual alternative would be to have the most important business functions working and integrated. Phone, PIM, Email, IM, Web. Deliver these basic productivity applications on a platform that doesn't constantly crash (and doesn't take a little piece of your soul each time you use it... *cough* WM) and you'd be the hero of so many.

Plus, of course, a working conduit to sych the data - including with MS Outlook.

That would be great - and I would be the local hero at work for a while having that! I work in IT, so I work with lots of folks who love looking at new developments.
    Thanks Taroliw, this is looking a lot closer than I expected. With the GPE people working on a general platform and enough tech minded Treo owners tweaking it for the 650 platform we could see something very nice.

I am still hoping that the next generation Palm device will be worth upgrading to then I can use my 650 to play around with the Linux OS and learn more about it. Although the talk is that it will run off the SD card and you can switch back to the Palm OS at anytime so I will likely end up trying it out either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    I work in IT, so I work with lots of folks who love looking at new developments.
    heh For geek points, it would be fun to use dDNS to resolve to the device and then have stuff like a small emergency email server, web server, maybe even ftp. "Oh yeah, just grab that from my Treo... got the URL?"
    I love linux but here's(I use ubuntu everyday) what GPE needs before I would even attempt to switch my old 600.

-Better/cleaner interface -its too linux'ie looking
    -Basic phone functions need to work seemlessly. Phone(Contacts/Calendar)/Web/Email
    -One hand use
    -Hide the tech feel of linux but keep those features - Terminal/File System/Cron

What would be great is a WINE type program to run palm programs
    Quote Originally Posted by questionboyee
    -One hand use
    -Hide the tech feel of linux but keep those features - Terminal/File System/Cron
    How about a different UI that does one-hand where you could select which mode you wanted based on your login? For me, I'd rather see the current UI simply optimized for 5-way nav. That way, I wouldn't have to switch modes and the like to do stuff like ssh, which I tend to do a LOT of from the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by questionboyee
    What would be great is a WINE type program to run palm programs
    Have they mentioned if we can put swap on the SD card?
    Can you guys imagine sshfs/sshfs on this Treo, or even SMB/NFS over a ssh tunnel? Coupled with WIFI (shouldn't be an issue since SD card is working and kernel should have no issues supporting WIFI) you could have 120+GB of storage.

Even use sshfs over 1xRTT or EVDO when the 700p rolls.
    I wouldn't mind mounting my DAV share from this device... that would be SWEET.
    So when/where can we get a copy of this boot loader??
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast