1.    #1  
    I'm unsuccessfully trying to use a TMobile SIM card in an "unlocked" Cingular branded Treo650 that I bought NIB from someone on Craigslist. Using instructions from treocentral, and from Cingular, I received the unlock code and used it. The phone reported that it was unlocked. When I try to use a valid TMobile SIM: I insert the SIM, push the phone button to connect to the network, and get a popup, entitled "SIM Card Not Allowed" with the msg "Your Phone cannot be used with this SIM card."

It so happens that we have another Cingular branded Treo650, purchased unlocked and slightly used on ebay. This phone accepts the TMobile SIM card without a hitch.

Can anyone help out? My first suspicion would be that the first phone isn't really unlocked. Is there a setting I can check?

Thanks,
    Liz
    Don't know if will make any difference or not but try a soft reset and if that doesn't work try a hard reset. There may be information held in a database that one reset or the other may clear.
    The 1st phone is not unlocked. You probably got a SIM unlock code from Cingular but not the subsidy unlock code to unlock the phone. Hard/soft reset won't change that. The only way to tell ifit is truly unlocked is with another SIM, which you've done, and it isn't.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Hi Liz,

Most likely you are correct. You have the wrong unlock code. Regardless of what code you put in, it will always tell you that the phone is unlocked.

I've been round and round with Cingular and have received two unlock codes, both of them wrong. It makes me question Cingular's level of competence.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    The 1st phone is not unlocked. You probably got a SIM unlock code from Cingular but not the subsidy unlock code to unlock the phone. Hard/soft reset won't change that. The only way to tell ifit is truly unlocked is with another SIM, which you've done, and it isn't.
    What's the difference between a SIM unlock code and a "subsidy" unlock code? Aren't they one and the same thing?

Thanks and Aloha
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600
    New: Treo 650, wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by NVFS
    Hi Liz,

Most likely you are correct. You have the wrong unlock code. Regardless of what code you put in, it will always tell you that the phone is unlocked.

I've been round and round with Cingular and have received two unlock codes, both of them wrong. It makes me question Cingular's level of competence.
    You may have to be careful in attempting to unlock the phone with invalid or not working codes (8 numbers?). I recall reading (can't confirm this though) that if you try at least 4 times with different unlock codes, it will "permanently" lock the phone if all of them are invalid.

Aloha
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600
    New: Treo 650, wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaDan
    You may have to be careful in attempting to unlock the phone with invalid or not working codes (8 numbers?). I recall reading (can't confirm this though) that if you try at least 4 times with different unlock codes, it will "permanently" lock the phone if all of them are invalid.

Aloha
    Your SIM card will lock up if the wrong password is entered a certain number of times in a row but can be unlocked with the SIM unlock code. I am not sure if there is a limit to the number of times a SIM unlock code may be entered incorrectly. This may differ between SIM cards.

I believe Shadowmite commented on another thread that the subsidy unlock code can be entered incorrectly an unlimited number of times without causing a lock up. I guess if you were very patient and had a couple of years to spare you could try every possible combination until it unlocked.
    What about
    http://hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm

I haven't used it but this was posted here (that's how I bookmarked the site)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A